• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

anybody have any knowledge of harddrive recorders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i got a samsung blu-ray player with harddrive recorder. the problem is that i dont receive any channels through it. is there anybody that can help me.

Ok.... What is this? A satalite box? Some cable thingy? Or a digital through the air box? An internet TV box?

In anycase, make sure you have the wire plugged in to one of its signal inputs from the signal source. This would be a satalite cable, a cable TV cable, an aerial cable or an ethanet cable (to modem/router).

Make sure that you connect the HDMI cable leading to your TV into an output port on the device. Not all HDMI ports on such devices are outputs (some are inputs for recording other devices).

Make sure the TV is receiving from the right input (should be one of the HDMI inputs) and also that the device has been set to send to the right HDMI output (there may be some button on the controler to toggle through outputs).

In the case of satalite, you need to make sure your dish is aligned at a satalite to receive and also you need to tune the box (most can be told to auto scan which does it for you as it is digital nowdays).

If your TV is not using HDMI to interface with the device, then why the hell do you have a blu-ray device?

Level 21
my tv have 3 hdmi ports. i was able to watch dvd and blu-ray on the recorder. i connected the cable to the in port and a different cable to the out port. i got signals to the tv without having to go to a hdmi channel. the issue is that the recorder doesnt save any tv channels. which prevents me from recording on it.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I advise you stop and read the instruction manual for the thing (the reason they give you one). Basically if you want to record from another device you will need an input port to be connected to the device you want to record from's output port.

Do be aware that you will never be able to record protected content. For example channels from Disney, Fox, Sky, WB may stop you recording from them. Additionally disney movies (even tapes) will not be able to be recorded. This is due to HDMI having content protection.

I still think your instructions should answer a lot of questions.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
You will then have to make sure that you plug a bidirectional HDMI into an input/output port of the TV as well as of the device. It is important that the socket supports both input and output inorder for this to work (Most TV sockets support input only, likewise most of the recorders sockets support output only). You then will need to select the source on the device until the TV is selected.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Like I said, you need to make sure that you have connected the HDMI cable into the right ports. Not all ports support Input/Output. Inorder to record you need to have Input/Output ports on both ends of the cable as well as a cable which is bidirectional (all full HDMI cables). Some ports will be Output only or Input only which will not allow you to watch and record with the device.

Also do be aware that some TV channels will block you from recording them.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
specially since tvs only have in ports.(
You clearly eithor have a crap TV or no idea of TVs. Ever since scart connectors were introduced (long before HDMI), TVs have supported atleast 1 output connector. This allows you to record from your TV what is being displayed (I have a video machine which is set to do this and records fine with no other inputs but from the TV). HDMI was designed to replace scart connectors so it supports both bidirectional transmission of data as well as a lot of other things so input/output should be possible.

You are missing out important information...
I take it you have some form of transmission cable going into the box, like a satalite, cable TV or aerial or ethanet connection?

Make sure your source is set correctly when recording. It might be trying to record from one of the other various inputs the device has instead of the internal whatever it uses to make the TV pictures.

Level 21
i have cable tv. i have recorded things airing on tv for a while and i have always used the recorder itself to record by first programming it with channels. first i used vhs then i changed to dvd without any problems. the issue with my new recorder is that it either doesnt find any channels or it doesnt save them.

Status
Not open for further replies.