• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[SD/Modeling] Adding armor to a model (Or just filling the gap)

Level 3
Hello Hive! So sorry to bother you all. But could really use some advice with editing a model. With another user's permission, Freddyk, I have been making edits to their SeaDruid model for a map I am working on which I want to include a playable sea-giant race.

1 --- Basically, I was able to carefully remove the octopus of their original model (a model I'd still prefer to use because of its beautiful seashell armor/vibrant blue beard) and downloaded a turtle shell model which I have imported and have begun trying to attach to my sea-giant using Retra's Model Editor.
I can even line up the shell where I'd want it to sit over the giant's back and head. However.. When I see the model animated, the shell just sorta floats there completely still as though it were not attached to the model.

I had also made attempts on filling the gap (in the back of the model's skull) but don't really know how to fill in the missing polygons and wrap the skin. Would also be happy to learn how I could do this.

2 --- I also noticed I can add additional animations from other units using Retera's editor. I was going to add the ogre animations to this model as they fit pretty well and would help make this unit more distinct from the Seadruid they will be alongside. But I cannot figure out how to remove the seagiant animations already in place. Any advice on this would also be helpful.

Any and all help would be appreciated and especially forum threads/tutorials I could look at to learn how to do this on my own. I think I need to add animation bones or something? Or snap the vertices of the models together somehow?

Again. Any reply is appreciated. Love you aalllll!! Haldo and Goodmorning!
-Stoneborn-

P.S. I have attached some images for clarification.

Attachments

• Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    385.6 KB · Views: 14
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    299.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    484.3 KB · Views: 12
Hello,
You imported a turtle shell geoset, however you didn't assign a proper bone/matrix to the shell.
Bones contain the data to move the vertices during the animations.
To assign a bone, you'd have to select the shell vertices, right click -> "Assign vertex to matrix" or something like that, I don't remember exactly the words.

I see you're using retera model studio, retera made plenty of tutorial video himself here's an example not exactly related to your case, you can browse his channel for more :

Level 3
Thank you so much comrade!! Your advice and the video are a massive help, it's exactly what I'm trying to do!

TYTYTY!!! :D