• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About those ancient resources nobody wants to chat about...

Interesting suggestion. I thought this was about how quality standards have shifted over the years, but your concern is about finding them? What kind of problems do you have?
Unless I know them by name or author or have a link to them, they will not show up due to a limit if I remember right with hive's current searching system.

Edit: For example, Satyr_WarMaster and the rest of that author's models do not show up normally.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
That model is from 2004, why pick 2012 as starting date for the legacy models?

I 100% get some older models (I think last time I searched for something in the section I saw a '07 or '08 one).
Moving the older models to a separate section might make them even harder to find or make people not
look for them in the first place.

That model is from 2004, why pick 2012 as starting date for the legacy models?

I 100% get some older models (I think last time I searched for something in the section I saw a '07 or '08 one).
Moving the older models to a separate section might make them even harder to find or make people not
look for them in the first place.
suregolook.jpg

Is it because some old models are not "approved" and therefore show up only if you pick "useful/simple" in your search ? I know it took me a while to get why some resources I saw didn't appear in normal search... :hohum:
That and this are both entirely different, older resources are nearly impossible to find for they won't show up if too many results appear.
Edit: Ralle has actually already confirmed this a while ago despite not being able to locate this confirmation of his currently.

OK... but how much is "too many results" ? if it's 100+ pages you probably should narrow your search anyway - to be clear, I'm not sure what I'm supposed to see in the screenshot you posted since it shows old models :confused:2
Searching by date won't work, therefore as already mentioned that unless you are ancient like myself... You won't even know these amazing resources exist in both the substandard and approved sections of anywhere with too many pages.

You may not even stumble upon them since keywords/author don't always work as it should, I only found Sheyd because I still have his pitlord resources on my old computer I had to dust off for evidence of confirmation.

My links to ancient stuff have also been failing lately, to answer your question about the picture is that is the default last page when one clicks the model section and goes to the last shown page.

Edit: Apparently, I have always been misspelling satyr as saytr but pitlords still doesn't bring up those other resources.
Edit2: To further answer is that picture reveals quite a difference in dates between resources and to mention there is almost no way to narrow legacy resource searching for most people.

Yeah the search engine needs exact spelling, even _ or other special characters can stop you from finding stuff sometimes :sad:
Some of the older hivers names can't even be searched by in the author section like Tank-Commander for spells section and -Grendel for model section which I mentioned to him a while ago when he made his profile private.

Edit: Quilnez is another case of this in the spells section since his current name is Kazeon.

Level 5
I'mma bump this thread. I've been lurking HIVE since I started high school back in 2010, so I've seen a lot of legacy content sadly fade into obscurity, and I've once again hit that phase of reignited passion for a long-abandoned project and wanting to re-download some older models and special effects I had on map and campaign projects that have been lost and/or corrupted.

Despite scouring all 82 pages available in the models section, there's a lot I'm having trouble locating, mainly because I cannot remember what they are called. Some threads say that people have deleted their resources after leaving the HIVE community, and that's fair, but a lot of old models I've managed to dig up coz I remember them clearly, like assassin_lord's infamous Hero Glow attachment.

Others I apparently do not have permission to view even while logged in, like an old "White Mage" model (Garnet from Final Fantasy 9) made by someone called CommunistCyan. I only know who made it due to a credit in the icon that Muoteck made for it, which is still available. (I may have the model in a project I dug up a while back, I just need to find the USB).

Edit: I went looking for some old campaigns that I knew had some old models, I recalled OutsiderXE used the Garnet model in "The Last Guardian". I figured if I checked the "Resources in Use" section I could find something, but even some of those legacy campaigns are now absent, especially the old 1.0 and 2.0 versions of tomoraider's Forsaken and Blood Elf campaigns. I really regret not holding onto those now, it was interesting to play them back to back and see how his development evolved over time.

Last edited:
Level 5
If you search by author or the name or similar you should be able to find it still. The technical limitations I'm facing with this limitation is mostly when there are no filters.
Picking through forums and comments, I have dug up most of the HIVE's esteemed alumni, but some unfortunate cases I can't access their profiles or resources anymore, like -Grendel. I have in the past downloaded their Final Fantasy Black Mage model, for a custom race/faction map I was building, and I've written a note in my folder with who to credit for using it, but anything else of their's is near impossible to track down now, putting them in the search bar returns nothing.

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Picking through forums and comments, I have dug up most of the HIVE's esteemed alumni, but some unfortunate cases I can't access their profiles or resources anymore, like -Grendel. I have in the past downloaded their Final Fantasy Black Mage model, for a custom race/faction map I was building, and I've written a note in my folder with who to credit for using it, but anything else of their's is near impossible to track down now, putting them in the search bar returns nothing.
Bad example, -Grendel deleted his resources. This may be the reason for some of the others.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 69
Bad example, -Grendel deleted his resources. This may be the reason for some of the others.
And I'm pretty sure
Others I apparently do not have permission to view even while logged in, like an old "White Mage" model (Garnet from Final Fantasy 9)
many like those are just restricted/rejected models back when ripped ones were not approved and when many were blatantly stolen from other places and uploaded here.

Level 5
And I'm pretty sure

many like those are just restricted/rejected models back when ripped ones were not approved and when many were blatantly stolen from other places and uploaded here.
Please help my understanding here then, strasz, as I'm still fairly new as a member (Technically my account's 4 years old now but I only used it prior to comment on stuff) and I'm looking towards senior members here for advice, such as yourself as the Map Reviewer. I have read the rules for submitting maps but I like to be thorough if I'm uncertain.

I've managed to extract my old dead laptop's hard drive and recovered campaign files and folders long abandoned when the device died, with a trove of otherwise-lost resources stuffed into all of it. I plan to hunt down a massive list of credits for everyone who made the content available in the first place, as well as where I got it from if it was outside of HIVE, as some of what I wanted to use are ripped effects from ChaosRealm, which are also no longer available on that site.

As far as I understand in the section for imported and copyrighted materials, so long as I do not upload anyone's models and rips/converts directly to HIVE, especially without the original creator's permission, don't attempt to claim others' resources as my own or have them mistaken for as my work, understand that the original owners can ask me to remove it at any time, don't attempt to make any profit off my project, or attempt to undervalue or overshadow the source material I am using content from, I should be able to use it in my campaign project as a technical fair use.

Once I've gathered up all the files I've obtained, weeded out duplicates, imported to ensure they still work in the version I'm using (1.31), and begun categorizing a list of credits, I intend to start a post in the Map Development forum and showcase what I intend to use through "concept phases". That way, I can have everything moderated and approved as I go to make sure it's up to standard, and if I can't personally find the creator of a particular model or effect, maybe someone can help point out who so I can update the credits list. Being the main gentleman's code around here, I'd like to make a proper archive of what came from who, and not just list a pile of "models by x y z names, icons by a b c names". And maybe learn some tips from the pros as I go along.