• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

a hole in the earth!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
If a rock would deal a hole until the center of planet earth, it would stay in center because the high gravity there is and it would melt in some years, the center of earth isn't so hot like the sun but it's really hot anyway, btw, if the rock that drilled the earth had a high percentage of metal in its constitution it wouldn't melt that easy... maybe the humanity would have to do something about it.

Level 20
But WAIT! It would be impossible for a hole to be drilled (I'm talking gravity-stuff here, not just because we can't dig the hole.) because as soon as we get far down the immense pressure will collapse the hole in!
I thought we already agreed that this was a theoretical physics question. I mean, for crying out loud, my special relativity exam questions had to do with me standing on a platform with a train passing by my face at 0.9 times the speed of light. It's a theoretical physics question, and even though it's damn near impossible, I still had to answer it with something other than "LOL ITS IMPOSSIBLE".

If a rock would deal a hole until the center of planet earth, it would stay in center because the high gravity there is and it would melt in some years
Please read the thread before answering something which is both wrong and has been disproved already.

Also, manstie, gtfo ur spamming

Level 6
In your signature, .Ragnaros, you spelled "Corrent" wrong. It's supposed to be "Current".

Well anyway thanks >_<

I thought we already agreed that this was a theoretical physics question. I mean, for crying out loud, my special relativity exam questions had to do with me standing on a platform with a train passing by my face at 0.9 times the speed of light. It's a theoretical physics question, and even though it's damn near impossible, I still had to answer it with something other than "LOL ITS IMPOSSIBLE".

Please read the thread before answering something which is both wrong and has been disproved already.

Also, manstie, gtfo ur spamming

Hmmmm hard physics >_< I just though it obeys to the common sense.

Level 9
this discussion is something like if an tree falls at the forest and theres no one and none living organism there would there be sound

(people will now say that sound are just the air shaking going itno youre ear but what if theres no one is it there then ?)

Level 24
thats the problem with thsese threads
i just wanted a simple answer like it will stay there or it will bounce not physix and shit. Apparently some people do not like simple answers
In (extremely) simple terms, the closer to the centre of the earth you get, the weaker gravity (in the direction of the centre of the earth) will become. Ignoring the obvious impracticalities like how would you make the hole, how would you maintain the hole, wouldn't you burn to death and then melt, etc.

Diagrams:
The orange is the stuff inside the earth, the green is the crust, and the red is the centre of the earth. The arrows are the relative pull of gravity, and the equals signs are like WHOOSH lines to show your speed. The pink is my favourite colour right now. Yes, I had lots of fun with this.

|--------------00--------------|<<<<<<>-|o
Anyways, on top of the earth, all the earth's matter is pulling down, because it's all below you.

|--------------00-------<<<<>-|o==>>-------|
Inside the earth, there is matter exerting gravity both downwards, and upwards. Additionally, there is less matter under you to pull you downwards.

|--------------0<<<>-|o====>>>0--------------|
When you get to the centre of the earth, you're being pulled roughly equally in all directions. BUT, you have all that speed you built up during your fall, so you move on through.

|-------<<>-|o==>>>>-------00--------------|
As you pass the centre of the earth, there is once again more stuff pulling you to the centre of the earth. You're still moving the same way you went, but you'll begin to slow down.

>-|o>>>>>>|--------------00--------------|
Ignoring things like terminal velocity (and how likely you are to burn to death and then melt), you'll fall out the other side of the earth at same height above sea level that you came fell in from, and then fall back into the earth forever and ever until someone catches you. Or until the wind blew you away from the hole and you died in the landing (because you'd need to be pretty high up for the wind to push you that far).

Level 20
For those who are having trouble understanding the null acceleration at the center of the Earth, it's the same principle as standing smack dab in the middle of two planets of equal dimensions and mass:
O<<<<<<|>>>>>>O
The planets both exert a equal gravitational pull on your scrawny body, but in opposite directions. The net gravitational pull is thus 0.
[too lazy to quote Ephy's post and cnp his color codes :D]

Level 24
Why are people re writing this? We already conclude that all that is correct lmao.
See:

In [HIGHLIGHT](extremely) simple terms[/code], the closer to the centre of the earth you get, the weaker gravity (in the direction of the centre of the earth) will become. Ignoring the obvious impracticalities like how would you make the hole, how would you maintain the hole, wouldn't you burn to death and then melt, etc.

[HIGHLIGHT]Diagrams:[/code]
The orange is the stuff inside the earth, the green is the crust, and the red is the centre of the earth. The arrows are the relative pull of gravity, and the equals signs are like WHOOSH lines to show your speed. The pink is my favourite colour right now. Yes, [HIGHLIGHT]I had lots of fun with this.[/code]

Status
Not open for further replies.