• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

4 Aces

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hi there. This was for an art exam I took. Don't really know if this belongs here or in the concept art forums, but decided to place it here since this forum needs more attention anyways.

The initial concept behind this was to include all four suits which overlap over each other to create the cover of the card. Here, you can see a late draft in pencil of what I was hoping to achieve.

nicknicknickart.jpg

As you can see, I how I made the design was by using curvy-wurvy shapes which fit in all together like a giant puzzle piece. See if you can find all four suits. The clubs is still incomplete, though you can see the shape. I did only one half as I was simply going to flip it to make it symmetrical.

There is pencil design. After many frustrating attempts on Photoshop and Illustrator, I, unfortunately, gave up on the whole all-four-suits-into-one thing. I finally opted to create an Ace of Spades in the end, largely due to lack of time.

Unfortunately, I cannot show you every single draft I made as I have lost the file. Thankfully, I still have the final piece which is shown bellow.

nicknicknickart.png

I was quite disappointed with this one. You can still see many flaws and the colors were selected in a hurry. The editing and whatnot was done carelessly, making it look messy. I was frustrated that my initial idea (all-four-suits) couldn't materialize due to my lack in skill in Photoshop and shortage of time, largely because I wasted it idling and fiddling instead of doing what was necessary to achieve what I wanted.

There you go. Sorry if I placed this in the wrong forum.

Last edited:
Level 12
the draft in pencil is awesome. ;) the photoshop version was indeed lacking compared to the draft, but it's pretty good. Perhaps you need to alter the colour or something like that. Don't be too frustrated man. =) there's tons of tutorials for virtually any editing program in the world. You'll improve with practice. Trust me, when I first start off with photoshop for a few weeks, I suck badly. D: Keep trying. don't let a single thing to put you down. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.