[Log in / Register]
| News | Chat | Pastebin | Donations | Tutorials | Rules | Forums |
| Maps | Skins | Icons | Models | Spells | Tools | Jass | Packs | Hosted Projects | Starcraft II Modding | Starcraft II Resources | Galaxy Wiki |
(Keeps Hive Alive)
Go Back   The Hive Workshop > Warcraft III Modding > World Editor Help Zone

World Editor Help Zone Ask general questions about World Editor features and use in this forum. If you need help fixing a trigger, please post it in Triggers & Scripts. Please review the forum rules before posting.

Closed Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:50 PM   #16 (permalink)
Registered User Dr Super Good
Imperial Good

Dr Super Good has been here far too long (2964)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (2964)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (2964)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (2964)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (2964)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (2964)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (2964)Dr Super Good has been here far too long (2964)
Former Staff Member: This user used to be on the Hive Workshop staff. Merit Badge - Level 0: This user has proven to be extremely valuable to the Warcraft III Modding Community. User of the Year: 2010 
Yes, both the problems you describe above are GUI only.

The JASS script you are provided by WC3 to get units within a certain rage takes a unit group and fills it with the resulting units. The GUI facade for this native forces the creation of a new group every time but the actual mechanics means that for most tasks you will only ever need to use 1 single unit group.

The polar projection GUI function takes in a location which it disassembles into X/Y pairs that it uses simple trigonometry on and reassembles them as a new location. As most location creating natives have X/Y pair equivalents you can just skip locations entirely for most tasks. GUI for some reason forces you to use locations which is a huge source of inefficiency by itself.

I am afraid the only real way to resolve the problems you are having is with JASS. The GUI of WarCraft III was just too badly designed. In StarCraft II the GUI has been much improved and can do most things the scripting language can do.

Quote:
Probably because they will do the cleaning next week.
Only specific personal have moderation permission over this forum. I advise contacting them instead of spamming off topic messages in this thread.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM   #17 (permalink)
Registered User WaterKnight
User

WaterKnight is a splendid one to behold (858)WaterKnight is a splendid one to behold (858)WaterKnight is a splendid one to behold (858)WaterKnight is a splendid one to behold (858)WaterKnight is a splendid one to behold (858)
Merit Badge - Level 0: Shadow Dancer: This user has been effectively reporting material that was proved to be useful for the moderating team. 
Try clearing the groups before destroying them. It is said that the references are not properly cleaned up by the destroy function and the group leaks more with more units in it. Also upload the map.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #18 (permalink)
Registered User Troll-Brain
cool != useful

Troll-Brain is a glorious beacon of light (459)Troll-Brain is a glorious beacon of light (459)Troll-Brain is a glorious beacon of light (459)
http://www.thehelper.net/forums/show...troyed-objects

However that wouldn't be the main problem in GUI.
As said, many GUI functions leak by themselves anyway, like "last created group", it creates a new group each time it's used.

EDIT : Oh and about sc2 if i'm not wrong there is a garbage collector, right ?
- less efficient != inefficient
- features, less verbosity, decent api, safety > ridiculous script "efficiency" "won" and map broken. That's all a matter of scale.

Last edited by Troll-Brain; 04-12-2012 at 09:12 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #19 (permalink)
Registered User Yamaneko
User

Yamaneko is an unknown quantity at this point (0)
Thanks alot Dr Super Good, now i at least know what to do. Too bad i have to learn Jass though. I am actually pretty used to programing through script in other programs, but those are programs like C++ where you build up the system from the begining, and i just thought it would be disturbing having to learn yet another language for world editor, when there is a much easier choise. Also it is going to take a while converting my entire map into script, but whatever, I would better just start as soon as possible. Once again, thanks for the help.

Quote:
Try clearing the groups before destroying them. It is said that the references are not properly cleaned up by the destroy function and the group leaks more with more units in it. Also upload the map.
I think i wrote i had done that already... and it didn't work.

Quote:
- There are bugs with wc3, but most of time, the bug is between the keyboard and the chair.
- Never believe some warcraft "fact" without a proof, even from an "experienced" user, that's how myths & legends born.
You spam "...", "lol", and smilies such as "; p", "^)^",">.>"? You think you're the best and all other ones are stupids or at least less clever than you ? You think your errors are funny, while the other ones are incredibly lame ?
Maybe you've too much ego,or worse, you're a douchebag
I don't really know if you are refering to me or if you are trolling (which seems pretty suspicius since your name is "troll-brain"), but if you check this forum the only such thing i did was one single sad smiley... which is by the way usefull to express how you feel. Also, what the hell do you know about me thinking others are stupid? I posted this simply to tell others about a possible problem, and to find a solution to that problem. I even wrote how i did my trigger, just test it yourself and you will most likely find that there is some kind of leak. And if you don't, then i might as well turn your own reference against you and say that you where the one that failed. I do however have a strong feeling that you may have used those lines over and over in different forums, and that you are just trolling. I try to evolve, while you just do something that helps nobody, exept for possibly making some assholes laugh.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #20 (permalink)
cool != useful

Troll-Brain is a glorious beacon of light (459)Troll-Brain is a glorious beacon of light (459)Troll-Brain is a glorious beacon of light (459)
It's not about you ...
That's just a signature. Actually the second part if for Nestharus if you want know, while the two first sentences are general.
Btw you could also check the forum, i'm not trolling that much, regardless my pseudo.

Now, care to read the link i've given ?
- features, less verbosity, decent api, safety > ridiculous script "efficiency" "won" and map broken. That's all a matter of scale.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:18 AM   #21 (permalink)
Registered User Yamaneko
User

That is a stupid message to have after every line you do, you know that?
This is my first thread, so i didn't realize that was just some kind of epigraph, sorry dude, but it really caused some confusion.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #22 (permalink)
cool != useful

I don't care, actually if you take it personnaly you might be the stupid one.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:22 AM   #23 (permalink)
Registered User Yamaneko
User

Didn't i say i thought you where trolling?

Edit: What the hell now? Did you edit your message or something? The only thing i saw in your first message was the link and the epigraph... That explains alot.
My fault for missunderstanding. I'm sorry.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 AM   #24 (permalink)
cool != useful

Yes, but before assuming that, you could at least have check some of my posts.
Btw if i was really trolling, would you except that amout of rep or even messages ?
Plus, a signature is rarely directly adressed personnaly to the user above, hell that's how a signature work.

Now, let's stay on topic.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:29 AM   #25 (permalink)
Registered User Yamaneko
User

Whatever, i didn't realize it was a signature, that was why i thought it was a troll.
This post is however solved. I believe the only solution may be, like Dr Super Good said, to learn Jass. But thanks anyway, and sorry again for missunderstanding you.

Edit: Now i just have to figure out how to set this as solved...
Old 04-12-2012, 09:50 AM   #26 (permalink)
User

WaterKnight is a splendid one to behold (858)WaterKnight is a splendid one to behold (858)WaterKnight is a splendid one to behold (858)WaterKnight is a splendid one to behold (858)WaterKnight is a splendid one to behold (858)
Merit Badge - Level 0: Shadow Dancer: This user has been effectively reporting material that was proved to be useful for the moderating team. 
Upload the map and we may identify the source of the leak more precisely. Switching to jass surely makes a lot of things more effective but I doubt that you would experience a major leak within 10min from a single part of code from just the hardcoded leak. The leak described in Troll-Brain's link is really minor. And maybe there is a better triggering approach in general. Fixing leaks is not the only possibility to optimize performance.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:17 AM   #27 (permalink)
Registered User Yamaneko
User

I am very sure there is no leak that i've missed, and if you check what this thread was all about, you might realize that i the problem is this leak that stays after you remove the usual memory leak. There is some part of the variable that stays after it is removed, and the only way to get rid of that is to change to JASS and avoid using points and groups. My map uses a constant knockback system for everything, and thus have a trigger that runs 50 times per second to calculate the paths of every projectile and unit. That is why this minor leak, that can't be removed in GUI is a problem, and it will not be for the maps without these frequently running triggers. Also, my map will be playable untill about 30 minutes, however you can see the effeckts of the leak after about 15-20 minutes.
Old 04-12-2012, 10:38 AM   #28 (permalink)
User

You say you are sure but you still have the problem. Then again, you do not know exactly where it derives from but are sure it will work out with jass.

Do not worry, I have read your thread. The standard frequency for triggered movements is 32/sec by the way.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
Registered User fladdermasken
Keeping it Scheiße

fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1350)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1350)fladdermasken has a brilliant future (1350)
Terraining Contest #13: Shi'luan Hydro-powered Institute of Technology - A testimone to the prime of the shi'li culture. My ability to title my terrains is soooooooo nonexistent. (Terraining Contest thirteenth edition) Terraining Contest #11 - Winner: Battlefields 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostWolf View Post
Why is every single thread in this forum lately not related to /site/ discussion in any way?
Ties in with the introduction section becoming a depot for stupid questions.
Closed Thread