• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Map is not showing up in Custome Games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
It's weird, I can hit Test Map in the editor and have the map work just fine, go to Custom Games in WC3 and it doesn't show up at all. I'm completely stumped here! :vw_wtf: Can someone take a look and tell me why it's not showing up in WC3? Thanks much!

Attachments

• World of Epilore - Mage Campaign.w3x
    262.4 KB · Views: 88
Level 21
It shows for me, but that's probably because I'm on a higher screen resolution than you. Try shortening the name to something like just World of Epilore. Then even people on a low screen resolution will see it with no issues. It might also be a good idea to tack a version number on at the end so you and other people playing your map don't get confused with which version the map file is.

Level 6
Thanks, I'll try that!

Edit: Shortening the title and playing with the screen resolutions didn't help. I like the fact that the map shows for you but I wonder why it wont show for me. I also have another map I was working on that also doesn't show up.

Edit: So I moved the file location and it shows now. That's strange as hell to me lol.

Last edited:
Level 21
It shows for me, but that's probably because I'm on a higher screen resolution than you. Try shortening the name to something like just World of Epilore. Then even people on a low screen resolution will see it with no issues. It might also be a good idea to tack a version number on at the end so you and other people playing your map don't get confused with which version the map file is.

It doesn't have to do with screen resolution, but rather how long the Warcraft III file path is. The game doesn't allow as long file paths for maps as the windows system.

Level 6
It doesn't have to do with screen resolution, but rather how long the Warcraft III file path is. The game doesn't allow as long file paths for maps as the windows system.

Hmm, when I moved the map to a different folder it popped up immediately, however, one of the maps I had in the directory where the World of Epilore map was not showing is showing. Well, in any case, moving the file worked so I'm happy lol

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
As hinted earlier, the problem is because WC3 has a file path limit for custom game list search. What is even worse is that this limit is the entire file path so that your system locale and build type affects the maximum map name length.

I have seen maps online that I could not play because the file path was a few characters too long due to someone playing on a x86 system while I was playing on a x64 system (where there is an extra " (x86)" in one of my folder names).

For this reason you should try to abbreviate your map name and only append a version number.

Instead of...
"World of Epilore - Mage Campaign.w3x"
Call it...
"WoE - MC.w3x"

Level 6
As hinted earlier, the problem is because WC3 has a file path limit for custom game list search. What is even worse is that this limit is the entire file path so that your system locale and build type affects the maximum map name length.

I have seen maps online that I could not play because the file path was a few characters too long due to someone playing on a x86 system while I was playing on a x64 system (where there is an extra " (x86)" in one of my folder names).

For this reason you should try to abbreviate your map name and only append a version number.

Instead of...
"World of Epilore - Mage Campaign.w3x"
Call it...
"WoE - MC.w3x"

Wait, so you're both Tickles and Dr Super Good? Ok, I'll abbreviate it instead then. I'm not entirely sure how the version thing works, I guess I'll just start with something like "Alpha1.0" and every time I upload the map I'll increase the number based on how much work I think I've done since last lol.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Wait, so you're both Tickles and Dr Super Good?
No? I never said I was... What on earth gave you that idea?!

Generally it is as follows.
release.revision.minorrevision
Minor revisions are often left out as they are more used internally or if there was a major error in a release that had to be fixed.

For example the first beta version to public would be...

If there was a critical error (such as you lost as soon as game started due to a silly mistake) then the next version would be...

When you finally release the map the version is...
And if you needed to quickly update that with another critical fix...

If you then release a balance fix with some additional content...

You then do this another 9 times...

Later you decide the map was fundamentally flawed so you remade most of it to be something else...

Status
Not open for further replies.