• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Genesis of Empires II Recourse + Other Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Does anyone know how GoEII made their recourse system and other systems, like spawning resources and building from your main building instead of a builder? I imagine it's pretty complicated, from setting up the board to keeping track of and linking a dozen different resources in game + tax & population/army upkeep. I want to implement similar systems for my medieval rpg/strategy map.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is all done with triggers. The triggers are not that complicated, just time consuming to write. Oh and it was probably done with JASS (pre-vJASS?) as the developers were pretty smart. The systems were likely data-fed so one can imagine some pretty massive initialization triggers. You can look at the map's JASS script for ideas but do be aware that it may be obscured for "protection"/optimization purposes.

Level 4
It is all done with triggers. The triggers are not that complicated, just time consuming to write. Oh and it was probably done with JASS (pre-vJASS?) as the developers were pretty smart. The systems were likely data-fed so one can imagine some pretty massive initialization triggers. You can look at the map's JASS script for ideas but do be aware that it may be obscured for "protection"/optimization purposes.

Hmm, so only the developers would know. Yeah its a protected map- idk how to edit without WE crashing on start up. I'm gonna have to track down the map maker then...

Could you summarize the trigger setup or do you know someone who could?

Level 4
Nice- I'll do that. Also, I found another recourse system that could do the job- it's just that its all script supposedly for vjass or jass helper and I can't seem get jass helper to open without getting an error box- then in jassnewgen WE I enabled jass helper and couldn't figure it out- then I was going to save and quit and jass helper finally loads up automatically with the save and says there are errors on the map?? Then jass helper then freezes- after a few more attempts or force quitting and re-saving I just turned it back off and was able to save.

Could you summarize how I set up the trigger once I get it?

Level 4
How do I edit the script? Here's the error... sorry the quality is horrible- photoshop is down atm and idk how to work with paint.

screen1.jpg

screen2.jpg

Should I make a separate post in regards to the error?

Level 24
1, press [prt sc]
2, go to paint
3, dont resize
4, go to imgur.com
5, upload image
6, post image link

In addition, you can move the image so you hide stuff that you dont want us to see.
Or you can use the erase tool or create a rectangle (filled with the second color) to do it faster.

Level 4
You are not allowed to use the character '\' as a type identifier latter by itself because it is a special character. Change the identifier of that unit type (recommended) or as Wietlol mentioned you need to use the sequence "\\" which represents a single '\'.

Ok, how do I edit that? I have no idea how to open up the master jass script that is being displayed in the second screen.

Level 4
trigger editor, search through all triggers.
It could be inside a GUI trigger but I doubt it.

I looked but I didnt find anything relating to editing the script or gui's... Also, I don't have any triggers implemented yet. And I ran a syntax error check and it said everything was ok. EDIT: syntax error check in the trigger editor- only scans triggers

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Could be pre-placed objects. One of the units on the map might have that type as a name. Change the type of that unit by deleting all instances of it, copying it with a sensible type name and then placing all of them where they were. This might be a JASSHelper bug with respect to odd object types.

To find the units, open the object editor and then switch to "raw data" view so you can see the type identifiers. Search for the custom type "\h01" and then turn off raw data view to get its name. You can then either use the "object manager" to locate all instances of it, or you can manually find and delete them if you remember where you placed them all. To make the new type for it, simply copy and paste and in JNGP you should be given a pop-up to choose the type name for it. Choose something sensible and not-colliding. The character '@' is a good one to use since no pre-included or automatic object use it and it is supported in JASS scripts.

Level 4
Could be pre-placed objects. One of the units on the map might have that type as a name. Change the type of that unit by deleting all instances of it, copying it with a sensible type name and then placing all of them where they were. This might be a JASSHelper bug with respect to odd object types.

To find the units, open the object editor and then switch to "raw data" view so you can see the type identifiers. Search for the custom type "\h01" and then turn off raw data view to get its name. You can then either use the "object manager" to locate all instances of it, or you can manually find and delete them if you remember where you placed them all. To make the new type for it, simply copy and paste and in JNGP you should be given a pop-up to choose the type name for it. Choose something sensible and not-colliding. The character '@' is a good one to use since no pre-included or automatic object use it and it is supported in JASS scripts.

Thanks! Now it has NO errors!! woot! I ran save with jass helper on and it didn't freeze.

Now... how do I edit the script for triggering the recourse system?

& NOW THE MAP IS TESTABLE YESSSS!!

Level 4
You make triggers? The question you are asking is very vague.

o0oo0o0o man.. wish this guy posted his code as a screen in trigger editor instead of raw code- idk what is what... Can you make it out?

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...8221/?prev=search=resource&r=20&d=list&page=2

It's the closest thing I've found to the recourse system of Genesis of Empires II which I originally wanted to replicate...

EDIT: Wait, nvm-- I just realized the trigger is in the map. Nevermind then- I guess it's just a matter of determining variables and aligning it to my specs..

Status
Not open for further replies.