• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About maximum map size limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
Hello, i am trying to make a single player open-ended RPG type of map. Since i plan to make the world quite big (480x480), it will most likely go way past 8mb limit. Does this limit only apply to multiplayer maps on Battle.net, or do singleplayer maps have to be hampered by it too?

Level 14
My single player campaign is currently around 100 MB so you are good to go. Keep in mind, however, that if your computer is slow it can really make using the WE a pain. I'm currently using my old computer while my new one is being fixed and it is soooooooo slowwwwww...

Level 12
As far as i know the limits only apply for battle.net being 4mb max
and lan (local area network) were it is 8mb max.

No. Both is 8MB for wc3 1.26. In earlier times it was 4MB for both but this was more than 5 years ago.

The limit for single player is somewhere between 2 and 4 GB imo.

Level 14
But has there been ever a creation that big ?

That's a good question. The largest I have come across is APproject's Iceborn and it is only around 183 MB. I'm sure there are larger ones out there but I wonder what the biggest one is. I'm sure it would be something with a large amount of custom music and sounds. They seem to take up a lot of space, as well as high poly models and high quality textures.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
2GB is probably the limit as it would then be using the final bit of the underlying 32bit integers which may or may not be interpreted as a sign bit (a negative address).

WoW introduced extended archives which have practically no limit. SC2 uses such archives so SC2 has practically no file limit.

Level 12
I got curious and crammed a map with music files. Somewhere at 700-900 MB map size wc3 starts crashing when you try to highlight the map in the hosting menu.
There might be ways to prevent the crash but investigating is rather pointless, also as there's always the option of just using the local files.

Level 23
that is most likely because when you highlight map in warcraft 3 while selecting map, it will load the map into memory, and you most likely allocate too much memory, which causes wc3 to crash(It crashed at around 1.1 GB for me, so it seems about right)

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I got curious and crammed a map with music files. Somewhere at 700-900 MB map size wc3 starts crashing when you try to highlight the map in the hosting menu.
There might be ways to prevent the crash but investigating is rather pointless, also as there's always the option of just using the local files.
Size is a bitfield maybe?
(It crashed at around 1.1 GB for me, so it seems about right)
Only on Windows XP. On Windows Vista and later it should manage at least 2GB before crashing due to insufficient virtual address space.

Status
Not open for further replies.