• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Warcraft 2: looking for modern edit program

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I have been wanting to make games in the Warcraft II world because of its simple grid layout.

All of the editing resources I have found are VERY OLD, and many will not run at all. Some work, but do not have the functions I am looking for.

I want to do the following things to Warcraft II:

1. I have the new tiles ready to go, I just need an editor that will allow me to replace the original tiles, including the terrain, units, and projectiles.

2. I would like to edit the range of unit attacks.

3. Ultimately, I would like to make very complicated statistics for each unit for calculating the damage dealt and taken, but this is less important.

Are there any editing tools that can accomplish my first task at the very least?

Level 1
Thank you for the suggestion.

I would love to pick a newer game or game engine. Stratagus looks amazing. I tried downloading the 64bit executable, but I couldn't get it to work.

I am wanting to make a game that plays very similar to Warcraft 2. I want the menu and minimap, and the clunky, 2D feel. Every unity occupies a space on a grid, and must move one grid space at a time. You can't move diagonal.

Any advice on getting Stratagus to work is appreciated. I'm running Windows 8 on a new computer.

Sorry, I can't help you why it doesn't work as I don't know anything about stratagus, only recently I found out the warcraft version. But if you want to make a 2d rts game, it may be the best engine for you. You'd better to go to their forums http://forums.stratagus.com/

Meanwhile I found some spinoff of wargus https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rtVORQkWBzw

Status
Not open for further replies.