• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Question] Why can't i save an RP map??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
I don't really know why, I think it's just an effect of one of the patches. Anything beyond Dobrp 7 Philo and its edits (which all no longer work regardless) don't save.

You can't save in any of the recent roleplaying maps like SotD or XRP though, I know that.

Level 9
I was frustrated by this too awhile back, the answer is quite simple: Because of Save/Load Systems.

Any map that has a Save/Load System can't be saved normally. It can only be saved via the code generated by the system when you type -save (or something to that effect).

The reason is because most of the complicated ORPGs that use Save/Load Systems have tons of extra data (custom character equipment slots, extra sub stats, ect.) that can't be saved with the normal Warcraft save system.

Its sad but true, most ORPG and the like also disable Save/Load Systems during offline play, so people can't level up in safety and then go online and overpower other players and unbalance the game (or something like that).

Just use the Save/Load System the map already has, if it does have one its usally uses the -save command, which generates a code on screen. Just take a screenshot with Print Screen and copy the code to a text file.

Next time you play just type -load (your code) and wala! You have your hero back. Note that the vast majority of Save/Load Systems are imperfect by nature, and you usually lose something(s) your hero had, for example any items he/she was carrying in their normal hero inventory.

Hope I was of some help,

Regards,

Jake

Actually, wc3 saves anything that is in the instance of a map... that includes custom systems and such... So the above reason is invalid...

If you want a reason on why we use Custom Save-load systems on ORPGs, I'll give you two: Compatibility and Portability

As I said, wc3 saves anything about the map instance, which includes the details about the map itself (filename, file path, map version etc)... now even a minor edit of the map which the save file uses, will invalidate the save file because the map data it has won't match with the new map data... I think even renaming the map invalidates the file... And as you know, most ORPGs are constantly updated so if we're gonna use the save system that wc3 has, no one can load their save file from 1 version of the map into the other since wc3 won't allow that... So if you want to play on another version of the map, you'll need to start from scratch again...

As for portability, the code output of custom Save-load systems is a lot more portable than the save output of wc3...

That's just two, but I think they're already more than enough to explain the reason why we use Custom save load systems...

Status
Not open for further replies.