• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[GUI] Speed Triggering in GUI

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40

Speed Triggering

Introduction

"GUI" and "speed" are not commonly seen together.
However, in this tutorial I am going to show how to speed up the triggering process, not make the code itself faster in any way.
In short, it's all about keys.​

How much time will it save?

While it may not seem like a lot, when you spend many hours it will add up to considerable time.
More importantly it will make it a less boring process since it gets more intense the faster you create the trigger.​

Enter/Esc

Pressing the enter key is such a simple thing, yet I think many miss out of the potential of it.
When you use GUI and you've clicked into quite a few sub menus, pressing enter over and over will automatically press the "ok" button.
254412287be0a602c4deda1a79424768.png

In short, press enter over and over once you're done with one action.

Pressing "Escape" (Esc) will press the cancel automatically, so if you press something wrong by mistake you can quickly close it down with escape.​

Other keys

If you have a normal menu:
d488b181dbf5e664c32efe80b1c4c14e.png

Chances are, it will take a second or two to find what you are looking for, but what you can do is press the key with the character for the one you want.
Example:
You want "Player - Player Number"
Which starts with the letter "p", so you press "p" with the menu selected and the first one found will be selected in the menu.
With some practice you learn some common actions, such as pressing "p" four times will give you "Player - Player Number"

"p" can also be used to quickly get the "picked unit" in the unit list.

There's also the keybinds for actions, events and conditions. These can be changed in the world editor settings. By default they are Ctrl + E, Ctrl +D, Ctrl + R​

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

IIRC tab and space were a nice combo in GUI

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
"Speed Triggering", I first associated it with some more tips or tricks actually.

It's basicly only telling to use hotkeys. Hm.... do you maybe know mor stuff to speed up trigger creation?

Not really, this is just something I've picked up and learned myself I figured it was worth sharing, but I don't know.

Submission:
Speed Triggering In GUI

Date:
28 November 2016

Graveyard
Note:

I find it minimal useful at the moment, and there's no promising for any change.
It's not "Speed Triggering In GUI", it is simple "Hotkeys in GUI" with only <ESC> and <first-letter-key",
which is not useful enough for me to be shared as standalone tutorial. Graveyard.