• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Mapping] The First 30 seconds of a map is like the First 30 seconds of a blind date.

Level 7
xXThe First Thirty SecondsXx

The First 30 Seconds are very important when testing a map out to see if you like it or not. If you aren't going "This map is cool as #$%$" within the first 3o seconds, chances are the map won't be all that good. If I have to play for an hour and then discover the map is cool, that's not good because most people don't do that. They go "Wow, this map sucks." then leave the game. Just like a blind date, the person is going What is this map/guy about and is the map/guy interesting. If you roll up to a blind date in a yellow T-shirt, Khakis, and a fanny pack. Chances are, that date isn't going anywhere. But if you show up looking like a goddamn rockstar the girl's going to be interested. The same idea applies to maps. Take Founders of the North, an RPG style game. The first thirty seconds you're in a town with awesome models and lots of interactive elements. You have literally endless options. You can be a farmer, warrior, merchant, a bandit. Practically anything. Your map HAS to invoke some sort of response within those first 30 seconds or Most of the time, I'm not saying it's impossible to recover, the player is lost. Other maps are: LOAP Gold, Real Life for Morons, Battleships, TKOK Eastern Kingdoms. All great examples.

If you have any other questions about the map post a comment or PM our tech. SuperbAvalon.

Sincerely, Black Hand Industries™

EDIT: Expanded.

The First 30 Seconds

The Intro

Today, we’re going to discuss my theory behind the importance of the first impression of a map (the intro.) Then we will look at the construction, through the use of some guidelines, and of some examples to help relate. Some of you might be thinking that the first 30 seconds or so couldn't be that important, even if it is just the hero selection area or the scenery the player sees, but they would be very, very wrong. There is some great science and experience behind the idea that it’s the most important thing, so, let’s take a look at it closely.

I compare the first 30 seconds or so to the first five seconds of a blind date and as a life and dating coach, (read one of my father's articles over at Love Detour for some idea of what I mean http://advice.lovedetour.com/dhitt/...a-mystical-power-over-women-yes.html#comments) I can tell you that if you set a bad first impression in the first 5 seconds of a blind date you are in for an epic battle just to have a chance at a relationship, but if your first five seconds are strong, a good 30% of your work is done and done very well. It’s the same with your intro.

You might be thinking that 30% is WAY TOO HIGH, that the first 30 seconds couldn't possibly effect the player in such a profound way, but what you should understand is that our mind makes snap judgments as a survival mechanism (read Malcolm Gladwell’s Blink, as one of many examples of how fast judgement really happens), in every single thing we do and playing wc3 is certainly included in that. It’s a means of survival that we are unable to put aside because we are, in fact, mostly controlled by our instincts. That doesn't mean we can never overcome a bad intro or impression, (you can with A LOT of work) it just means that it’s so much easier to capture a player’s imagination with a great first intro so we should all strive to do just that. Let’s take a closer look at what happens after the first 30 seconds.

So, we play through a map for a little while and judge it, then each successive few minutes of time that we keep playing for is compared to our judgement of the first 30 seconds until we have what we feel is a reliable view of the whole. For some that’s a few seconds and for others that might be up to 20 minutes, it’s different for every person. The important idea here is that we are now looking for more of what we experienced in the intro.

We know what happens when we play a great map for the first time, it’s much like when we meet someone for the first time that we’re really attracted to. We approve and want more. Then we have the merely serviceable map that is okay. A middling intro will cause us to withhold judgement until we play more, while a bad intro will turn on a critical evaluation process that will scrutinize everything that follows and cause us to want to decide against what we’re evaluating.

I hope this helps guys!

Last edited:
Level 26
I would be grateful for some maps that pick an original route rather than accumulating systems, imports and giving you any possibility without a course. Yes, the kind and extents of a map are often assessable within the first moments because they usually align to common structures, and the features and main mechanics are revealed right from the beginning. Especially as an advanced mapmaker you develop quite a keen eye how problems were solved and where design decisions lead to.

edit:

On the other hand, the players are baffling to me. Some days ago, I played an anime hero defense for example. You were required to download a custom mpq/external data for most of the models used. If you were not to do that, those models would be invisible ingame and therefore not be targetable by user orders. Well yeah ok, if the map was so good, complex and no technical workaround possible. But no, the map was ridiculously bad gameplay-wise and without knowing the anime behind it, you had got absolutely no idea what it was about. Since I am no leaver, I stayed ingame but at some point needed to ask just how long this extremely monotonous game would take. The reply was that the longest/worst case would be two and a half hours. Really? Who has the time to just spend 2.5 hours straight? And without mentioning this to new players before the game starts? And for such a trashy map? The following days I see this very map listed (multiple times) again.

I do like anime/manga and think some could be ported to create interesting and playable maps from it but what most maps degrade it to, just no. I get the feeling that they just want to ride on the success of their reference.

Last edited:
Level 14
visual impression is also what made people stay on first 30 seconds, not to mention nowadays is always possible to made a map that has impressive visual rather than standard materials that WE provide. (such as memento mori project from user above me)

Level 7
At first I was feeling a massive dejavu, until I realized you literally just copy-pasted the same thing you wrote ages ago, for what reason exactly ?

Had a lot of complaints saying to put it in the tutorial section.

It's just advice, can't categorize this as tutorial of any kind.

Maybe make an advice section then?

Anyone else first starting out mapping, hope this helps!

Well its not necessarily 30 seconds, but it can usually extend to 5 minutes. Extra Credits did a video on this and state it far better:

Of course, Jackal. I wasn't literally saying 30 seconds exactly. That's it. If you don't make that window of time, you're screwed haha I was exaggerating a bit but it needs to be pretty soon. Good video btw.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Had a lot of complaints saying to put it in the tutorial section.

Maybe make an advice section then?

Anyone else first starting out mapping, hope this helps!

Of course, Jackal. I wasn't literally saying 30 seconds exactly. That's it. If you don't make that window of time, you're screwed haha I was exaggerating a bit but it needs to be pretty soon. Good video btw.
Dude! Triple posting. Please use the EDIT button instead of posting multiple times. Also, read the rules.

Level 26
Hardly. If you use a standard terrain minimap and only a little part has been used or it's scaled to a level where you can perceive the poorness of the layout like in the old "NO GOLD, NO LUMBER, NO SUPPLY" maps, it is probably bad. But there are maps with a blank terrain minimap where you get the hint it could be created ingame/modified. Or the scenario just fits to a simple terrain. Not everyone cares to import a custom image as fast as possible because it's really secondary.

Same goes for loading screens. Since the techniques have been published and got around over the years, a lot of beginners download high quality public pictures and apply them. The map that follows afterwards can be totally low tier. An indicator for good maps however could be a minimap/loading screen image where you can see the personal reference to the map and which is interesting.

From the title you can often deduct what kind of map it is, but the quality? Questionable, unless it goes into extremes again.

Level 29
Well, I think my perspective was more as to "What makes the user pick YOUR map and try it?". The name and image matters a lot there. But as soon as the user decides to try it, they don't matter anymore, only the content and the beginning do.

I somewhat agree. The pic never really mattered to me but the description / text in the map preview is what got me to try a game.

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

My map shows player stats for 30 seconds... fuck..

Deleted member 219079

D

Deleted member 219079

This is true, especially in Garena xD

Should I download Garena? Is there more than 10k player online? I hate how wc3 is dying :(

Level 3
In order to actually be a tutorial, your article (for lack of a better expression) would need to tell mappers which things in particular to watch out for, e.g.:
(1) Demonstration of potential (this is obvious)
(2) Thought put into basics / systems / ... (dito)
(3) Attention to details (spelling, icons, ...)

For me, the first impressions tell me if the creators actually care about their work as a whole (as opposed to only parts of it).

Also, I think it might be just me, but I "got" the content of the first chapter long before I finished reading it, it seems a bit lengthy for the point you're trying to make.
All of my complaints aside, I agree on the importance of first impressions and that more mappers should be aware of that.

Level 19
thing is how gaming changed from 2004 or so. internet changed every life, making us struggling of time issues. dota had nothing like newbie-friendly, its just a poorly made custom map with barely any efforts, yet it managed to get people into. first 30 seconds means something only in modern marketing, but barely in WC3 custom maps. today people won't go on and explore your world, you have to push them to. Yet it's not 30-s deal at all