• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Everything about tags

Content:

Prelude:

Tags! I have never met any (not newbie - ) Warcraft-player, that haven't played one of these.
Yet, the qualities of these vary like hell. In the sucky end of the scale we have Sheep tag -
- A quite popular tag, for some reason ( or it was), but if you craft maps with any decency, you know,
that that map is very thin. Something anyone can slap together if you have patience,
And a keen sense of how to totally wreck a map through imbalance.

Then there are the mediocre ones, like Tree tag. Although, with that specific tag, it varies a lot form version to version.
But generally, tree tag is a mediocre tag. - And why, you might ask? Well, there are a lot of reasons.
Tree tags, generally has some very nicely balanced stuff, but no real depth, so all you have to do,
is amass some units, or hide behind some walls, with some infernal killer towers close by. -
- Yeah, they're hard to get, and not every version has them, but any map by my definition,
that has a 'WIN' button, isn't a truly good map. That's never truly funny for anyone, is it?
Yet - it is fun to play tree tag anyway, so it ends up safely in the mediocre pile.

Then there are the GOOD tags. Yeah, this might just be by my definition, so bear with me.
We have Island defense - A truly thoroughly crafted map, balanced beyond all comparison etc. etc.
And yet, you have your doubts? Well, I have had as well. But with ANY titan,
it is possible to regain your feet, after the runners have built an unconquerable fortress,
if you get certain items, like energy rod, and know how to use it in synergy with other items,
it is very much possible to zap workers enough to gain some levels, or even strike at the runner,
and thereby slowly getting more and more power. On the contrary,
runners that truly master their titan hunters, can slay the titan.
This makes the map balanced, all the way through the game.

I chose the examples as I did, because of their fame. We've all seen them on Battle.Net, haven't we?
And, if you think back, they have come into 'fashion' in the order I listed them.

There's a purpose to this madness; Read on if you want to know the secret of creating a tag.

It would be a great advantage to your understanding if you have played island defense.

I've got some sceptic replies on choosing Island defense, but deal with it. It is sometimes sucky,
because of the horde of BNETters. Play it at a LAN, and have fun with it!

Dissecting the good tag:

So! If you bear with me, and ignore any prejudice, or whatever, you might have against island defense, let's get to it.

CHOICE
In Island defense, you have one thing that is great for almost any map - Choice.
You're not stuck to one type of runner or tagger like in tree tag.

CONSISTENCY
In island defense, all races are thoroughly made, and have clear definitions and racial traits.
This is key. E.G. Makrura takes the 'seaweed 'n' prawn' theme all the way through all buildings and units.
It would be odd, if they suddenly had a fireball spell, right? This creates a soothing frame for the player,
making he/she not have his doubts about the quality and thoroughness of the map.

DIVERSITY 'N' USAGE
Items, heroes, walls, towers, abilities, destructibles, harvesting, upgrades, combining, etc, etc.
Nearly all parts of the warcraft game are being put to use! and it doesn't have to be just from the WCIII game,
'combining' is a well known thing, that is used in very many maps, and therefore also counts as a thing,
that the player safely knows about, and trusts.

DEFINITIONS
What happens when you die in island defense? Yes, that's right, you become a baddie.
It's a clearly defined rule of the game. These frames are absolutely necessary, and often carry over to other games.

SKILL 'N' EXPERIENCE
Island defense has a thing, rare in other maps than the very popular. - It's very replay able.
And why? Because the player gathers skill, and knowledge of every aspect of the game - (Because it has so many)
- So the player learns throughout the game. You only make the fatal error of not making your base Voltron-proof once.
(This is not every-mans knowledge: Voltron (a tagger) has a blink ability, as no other tagger has,
so you need to stuff your base with buildings, or he can jump right in and snatch you.)
When the player now knows how to successfully handle an aspect of the game, he starts feeling skillful, and superior.
We get replayability, as the player wants to be defined as 'Pro', basically.
All these things leave us with a very good map: Replayable, a mark of quality, a firm set of rules,
that seems to work in other maps as well.

COMPETITION
Yes. Competition. There's got to be an element of competition in a tag.
A very easy way is to make an opposing team, that's the taggers. (I will generally use this mode throughout the tutorial.)
But you may also implement it through a timer, that the players compete against.
The possibilities are endless. just remember to get it in!

Starting up making your own tag:

So! Basically, that's the points you have to take in mind, when constructing your map.

Let's start with the beginning:

In the very, very start, you need an idea, correspondent to your skill level. If you're just starting out,
it's okay to rip off. Create a sheep tag. Single type of runner, with some different buildings,
walls, towers, harvesters / buildings that generate income. And a team of taggers (can be as few as 1.)
that uses the good 'ole hero skill system.
Give your hero divine shield, flame strike, critical strike, Volcano and Immolation.

That's a tag.
Now, expanding is the next thing to do. Only get to that step when your map is loosely playable.

I would say, always start doing just that, and then expand your map. Stop, when your skill level, or patience, limits you.

Expanding:

By expanding i mean:

Create another runner type / tagger type, a knockback system, that some of your towers can use, researches,
a barracks that trains units to hunt down the tagger, triggered spells, etc. etc.
Slowly, start expanding. Get some systems into work. Remember,
the tagging system doesn't need to be finished for the first map.

When you have enough base material, start implementing systems:

Systems:

Systems are absolutely vital for your map. you need to have a clearly defined system, and a set of rules.

Tagging systems:

Hardcore (Easiest, very bad.)

Conversion (Very hard, good quality, brings a lot of problems.)

Center rescue (good for gameplay, kind of easy.)

Alternate runner (Easy, yet very problem-free.)

Swap (medium-difficulty, brings some of the same problems as 'conversion'.)

Dark Deeds-alike (Very difficult, fitting for an RPG-y tag.)

Admin / god (Very rarely seen, you probably need to have a secondary system as well.)

Does this sound stupid? ... It is. I made the names up, but they do fit the descriptions.

Hardcore: If you're tagged, you’re done. Nothing left to do, might as well quit.

• Hardcore
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Tough luck.
Conversion: A real pain in the ass to set up, but we know it from island defense (yay, HQ :D)
When a runner is slain, he gets a tagger, and aids the tagger. (No, he doesn't give the tagger AIDS.)
This brings up such problems as the tagger gets vision of the other runners, loyalty issues, etc, noobism, feeding.

Center rescue: Yay! Tree-tag / kodo tag like, run with your own safety in peril, to the center of the map,
and rescue the slain runners. Simple, efficient, gives the player skill.

Alternate runner: Kind of like the hardcore. Except, that you get a new type of runner instead.
This alternate runner must be of way worse quality than the original runner(s), like a ghost, with permanent invisibility,
but no real buildings, mostly observer, and a low-speed harvester.

• Alternate Runners
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
      • (Triggering unit) Equal to Runner[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))]
    • Actions
      • Unit - Create 1 Dead runner for (Owner of (Triggering unit)) at (Random point in (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Set Runner[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = (Last created unit)
Swap: Ahh, ye olde swap system, if a tagger tags a runner, the runner becomes the tagger and vice versa.

This trigger has bugged at some point, and i'm not sure if it still does. And it is optimized to work with multiple taggers at a time. Please, create this yourself, i won't be held responsible for malfunctions with copying this trigger. - It is right out of one of my tags, nearly.

• Workerdeath
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Dies
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Unit-type of (Triggering unit)) Equal to Draenei builder
          • (Unit-type of (Killing unit)) Equal to Demon tagger
        • Then - Actions
          • Player Group - Remove (Owner of (Triggering unit)) from runners
          • Player Group - Add (Owner of (Triggering unit)) to Demons
          • Player Group - Remove (Owner of (Killing unit)) from Demons
          • Player Group - Add (Owner of (Killing unit)) to runners
          • Set Tagplayerbool[(Player number of (Owner of (Triggering unit)))] = True
          • Set Tagplayerbool[(Player number of (Owner of (Killing unit)))] = False
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by (Owner of (Triggering unit))) and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Unit - Kill (Picked unit)
              • Player Group - Pick every player in runners and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Player - Make (Owner of (Picked unit)) treat (Picked player) as an Enemy
                  • Player - Make (Picked player) treat (Owner of (Picked unit)) as an Enemy
              • Player Group - Pick every player in Demons and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Player - Make (Picked player) treat (Owner of (Picked unit)) as an Ally
                  • Player - Make (Owner of (Picked unit)) treat (Picked player) as an Ally
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by (Owner of (Killing unit))) and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
              • Hero - Add (500 x (Hero level of (Picked unit))) experience to (Picked unit), Show level-up graphics
              • Player Group - Pick every player in Futrunners and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Player - Make (Owner of (Picked unit)) treat (Picked player) as an Ally
                  • Player - Make (Picked player) treat (Owner of (Picked unit)) as an Ally
              • Player Group - Pick every player in Demons and do (Actions)
                • Loop - Actions
                  • Player - Make (Picked player) treat (Owner of (Picked unit)) as an Enemy
                  • Player - Make (Owner of (Picked unit)) treat (Picked player) as an Enemy
          • Set Tempplayer = (Owner of (Killing unit))
          • Unit - Change ownership of (Killing unit) to (Owner of (Triggering unit)) and Change color
          • Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of (Killing unit)) to (Position of (Killing unit)) over 0.00 seconds
          • Selection - Select (Killing unit) for (Owner of (Killing unit))
          • Unit - Create 1 Draenei builder for Tempplayer at (Random point in (Playable map area)) facing Default building facing degrees
          • Camera - Pan camera for Tempplayer to (Position of (Last created unit)) over 0.00 seconds
          • Selection - Select (Last created unit) for Tempplayer
          • Unit - Remove (Triggering unit) from the game
        • Else - Actions
Dark deeds-alike: Have you ever played dark deeds? It's a nice map, by the way, but not nearly as known as island defense.
When you get slain by the forces of evil, a dialogue pops up. You choose whether you want to get a zombie,
to aid the forces of darkness, or take the still-living remnants of your base, and try to set something up with that.
You've lost your main runner now, sadly, so it's hard.

God: When a runner / the first runner dies, he gains the status of a god and can do stuff as reterrain the map,
spawn destructibles, etc, etc. having a good time playing the über-almighty. Takes a long time to do properly,
and can really mess up the game if a noob becomes god, or if god ragequits.

Harvesting systems:

You need to get resources somehow in maps, don't ya?

Have in mind, that multiple of these systems can be put to use, depending on which race the runner have taken, for diversity.

Wisp (harvest like a wisp)

Human / orc / ghoul (walk back and forth from trees, to a drop-off point,
basically anything with the ability 'return gold and lumber' or something.)

Self drop-off (Give the harvester the return gold 'n' lumber ability.)

Building production (Buildings accumulate resources over time. Triggering.)

Eat tree (Give your runner the 'Eat tree' ability. When they use it, trigger it to get the user resources.)

Hit 'n' run (You gain resources if you wack the tagger, or his magical mound of gold!)

Gold mines (Boring - harvest from your friendly neighborhood goldmine.)

So! By now you should have chosen how that tagging should take place, and how to accumulate resources.
And that, basically, is all you have to have, if you're making a tag that doesn't have buildings,
where everybody just runs around, panicking to gain movement speed, etc, etc.

Buildings checklist:
Drop-off point / resource accumulator. (Basic resource-return point, should be free, or very cheap, trains workers.)

Food source (Food is a great way to limit the players, and creating balancing)
Wall (walls, can be upgraded, hopefully.)

Tower (tower to fend off taggers)

Research centre (Place for getting research)

Merchant / Vault (Place for buying items)

Mixing pot (mixes items, may be a unit, often.)

Strategic advantage building (Can be as simple as a watchtower, or as vital as one of 100 buildings,
that you have to construct to win.)

Barracks (Can create troops)

Well, only your imagination sets the limits… And your patience, if you have to create this for every runner race.

So now what?:

Now! it is time for, perhaps, the most fun part of making your tag: Identity.
You need to have something that makes your tag special. A twist.
This could very well go into the map's name.

Known twists:
"Kodo tag" "tree tag" "Invisible tag" "tag YOU'RE it" Etc, etc. It all gives you some sort of idea,
of what to expect from the map. In Kodo tag, the twist is obvious; You fight kodos!

The twist can be inoriginal, like my 'DND tag' that stands for 'Draeneis and demons' -
- It's pretty basically just what you play as.

(And a note on that; People like when the map's name is catchy "DND" "LOL" "DOTA" - you keep it up!)

The twist can also be obvious, through the map's name: "Invisible tag" ... what are the taggers in this map?
- Yeah, you guessed it.

The twist can also be story based. But it isn't recommended always, as people are generally really shallow on BNET.
In my experience, if you sit down, and write a story, that can't be summed up in 3 lines, for a tag,
You start losing the majority of the players. The Lore-fond part of the communty will love you, nonetheless.

Keeping on going:

This section generally can be used for any map.

I know a lot of people who can't see a project through, and i'm one of them.
In my experience, the only thing to do, is just to follow the first steps of my tutorial,
and setup all the systems, and then just do whatever i find funny to do with the map, although still keeping on track.
Then you won't get tired of your map that quickly.

Another good tip is to set a goal.

If you say; "I want 4 types of taggers, and trice that many runner types." -
- you've set a goal. And it is easy to see through, using a method, that may seem old:

Pen and paper!

Write down what you want to have done, and check them off as you do it. It's a great motivator.
As you test your map, write more posts on the list, with the bugs that you want fixed. Otherwise,
you may forget it. *poof* - and you never remember to alter the 'Learn' tooltip for one of your spells.

Polishing your map:

Here are examples of polishing from one of my tags:

(Yes, i apologize, the writing on the pics haven't been fixed yet, so it is kinda... incorrectly spelled and phrased.)

surgescreen2.jpg

surgescreen.jpg

When you've done all that, it's time to do a very important thing. Polish your map.
It is also good to keep this post in mind, as you make the map.
It is a pain in the ass to track down all abilities, and set the correct hotkeys.

When you want a thoroughly polished map, make sure that all these points have been corrected

1. Tooltips - Extremely vital! This is the player's only view into the map's mechanics; DON'T WRITE STUFF THAT ISN'T TRUE!
  2. Colour codes - use #ffcc00 for hotkeys. Use others to spiff up hero selection text, or stuff.
  3. Spelling check - spellcheck everything. If you're really bad at it, make someone look it over, THW is friendly :D (sometimes)
  4. Hotkey and button placement - When you place your hotkeys, make it be the same setup for all runner-types,
    and don't place the hotkeys too far apart. use QWERTDF primarily. I can't see how you could use many more than 6...
    And,if you have a 'demolish' ability or something, try to put it somewhere fitting. X e.g.
  5. Terrain - Get an experienced terrainer to look at your map, if you're not skilled yourself.
  6. Sound sets - check that all sound sets of units fits. We don't want a demon sounding like a peasant, do we?
  7. Balancing - Make sure to balance your map as much as possible!
  8. Testing - goes with the previous post, Get some friends (If you haven't anyone already) that wants to play WCIII.
    Ask them to test with you, and tell them that they get on the credit list if they do.
  9. Credits list - ALWAYS CREDIT!!! It's a must. I'd be glad if someone creditted me on this TUT, but you don't have to.
    - See? That was an example of when it's okay not to credit. But if a similar sentence isn't shown, ALWAYS CREDIT!!!
    You can use the quest log for it.
  10. Clean Message log - Don't use the 'game - display text message' trigger too much...
    Only when something significant happens. It can really obstruct the game.
  11. SFX - and lots of it! This helps the player get skill, if he / she can recognize some SFX, so don't use the same too much.
  12. Changelog - it's good to keep a changelog. It can also boost your morale to see how far you've come.
  13. Sound - Use sound where appropriate. A bladestorm spell IS best when you've set it to play slashing sounds loudly, right?
  14. Multiboards - Yes. Multiboards. These are nice to have, but can be too annoying and faulty to be worth it. Do it if you want.
  15. Additional systems - do a random runner system or something, it helps!
  16. The real world - Don't be afraid to take a break! ... i sounded like my Wii there...

Epilogue:

Yeah, second tutorial, and happy with it! took me half a day to write...

Well, i noticed that no tag-tutorials existed, so i took the liberty of making one.

I later found out that most of the stuff in here can be used in other maps as well, so it should be beneficial to read it no matter what.

Sorry for the wall of text XD There's really not that much... i think...

I considered putting up trigger tags containing the tagging systems... but well... If you really want it, you got it!

You can also get some betas of my tags... Although I've decided to Protect them, so that ain't much good...

Have fun, and i hope you can use it!

~The_Clam (also Gamecrafter_DK)

Last edited:
Level 14
sorry i didnt read your whole post, but i have to (xD) argue with your introduction. imo (and some more ppl) island defence isnt that awesome. maybe on higher lvls yes, but generally it is bad. when one noob joins with the game and gets killed by a titan quite at the beginning of bases, then the titan and his newly obtained apprentice gain temporary vision of ALL the bases and thereby wont have much trouble converting a few more players to the darkside. and the last guy(s) will have almost no chances against all the other players.

at least thats my experience with that game. ofc i dont think that vampirism or tree tag are better, its just that usually, island tag offers less fun. :(

@PAF111 - Yeah, i thought it was missing as well! - I'll make it more readable soon... I've just been super-busy right at the time, so i only had time to do so much for it... But it will be updated!

@Supertoinkz - I haven't seen any other tut's here yet :/ That's why i made it.
Also - From my examples, sheep tag, island defense and tree tag - they're always player-controlled. No AI... I've avoided that point because I've actually never learned to do it... But if anyone want to supplement a section about AI's, i'll be happy to let them. I just can't write it on my own.