• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

About the Contests

Level 4
Did anyone look at my Corpse Usage idea? I already described it on page 3

EDIT: One last thing, how do you propose we select which theme to use for contest #7?

Last edited:
Level 6
Another idea (maybe not for a minicontest, since this is a set of spells) A set of 4-6 spells that represent an animal (bear, dragon, goose :p)
But as I said, maybe not fit for a mini contest.

i'd like that - sometimes in these spell contests people scrap cool-but-moderately-easy spells which wouldn't win and go for overcomplicated stuff. and four or five simple spells that go well with each other make much better hero ingame then four contest-winner spells

but then, you can argue that that would be make-a-hero contest, not a make-a-spell contest...

- - - - - -

as for string matching idea, i'm against it. there are powerful algorithms out there that one can just download off the net (if he can't write one) and translate into jass in 5 minutes. adding warcraft jargon isn't too difficult. could be useful to someone (non-programmer mapmakers), but making that a contest would be quite silly.

the fact remains that programmers will always be superior mapmakers.

Level 40
Well, (imo) Corpse should be postponed for at least another month or so.

It was used in Zephyr #1, for your information.

as for string matching idea, i'm against it. there are powerful algorithms out there that one can just download off the net (if he can't write one) and translate into jass in 5 minutes. adding warcraft jargon isn't too difficult. could be useful to someone (non-programmer mapmakers), but making that a contest would be quite silly.

the fact remains that programmers will always be superior mapmakers.
QFT, that's what happened when wc3c tried this sort of thing, but meh.

Level 12
EDIT: Forgot about Razorbrain :)

I don't know what do you mean by Anti-Spell, but if it is what I think it is, then that's a very precise and restrictive theme. There would be no different spells, just different ways of making the spell.

Bounty system?? What do you mean by that? This time I'm gonna use Pooty's words: that's more of a function then a system. Just use Vexorian's Bounty function and make 2 lines of code how much you want the bounty to be given for killing whatever kind of unit. That's a poor and a very easy system.

Like always, I'm waiting for Pooty's opinion :)
No problemo there :p

well, on the Anti-Spell contest, i was thinking more of a "When hitted by a spell, X happends" contest, but the only word i could think of was "Anti-Spell", so I see it as quite a broad theme. Maybe call it Spell Defending Skills(i dunno actually :p)?

on the Bounty System, i just wanted to come up with one :p

oh, and that script isnt very unique, a "Chance of having 2x Gold" or something that could have been quite inventive if it could have been a system contest :p

Rmx

Rmx

Level 19
you can do a anti-spell when you are hit by a spell from a unit called x you take control of x for licke 2 second that one is cool and i suggest doing it and also there is a new idea when you hit by a spell you will let us say that the spell is casted by x the hero will transforme to licke ghost or something anything you want and come to x then appears that one is awesome give credit if you like my ideas

Level 4
Don't do the sky one yet, wait 'til I actually win one, and then make the one after it the sky one so then I don't have to worry about it. My request for #9

Level 7
How about more stat and extra atributes, like strength, damage, agility, armor, or something like that, like take one different attribute (Strength, Agility, Intelligence, Damage, Armor, Mana, Life) and make a skill out of it based on how much of it they have.

Level 40
What is the difference between the Zephyr and the Mini-contests besides rep amount and type of decisions for the winner?
It doesn't seem like the spells are any more complex..
Zephyr started before the mini-contests, is bigger, and generally more competitive, with a longer deadline. I also find the themes are much free-er than the mini-contests. Also also (*phew*) the Mini-Contests are designed to draw people to the S&S forum, while Zephyr is just a... contest.

Anyhow, Attributes could fit into Augment (well, one way anyways), but I personally like the theme.

~Started as S&S #9

Sorry for the 2 day delay, by the way, folks... It's that time of year :p. I'll extend the deadline to Monday though (one extra day, but at least it's a weekend!)

Level 11
Theme idea: Absolutes

Description: Absolutes, like an ability which (unconditionally) instantly kills all units within a range. The trick? Making the ability playable (balanced)