• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Troll Lands

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Troll Lands, or in-game called "Dunum Highlands" for my RPG project Land of Fables. ^~^

180023-albums5761-picture97665.jpg

Level 32
It would look decent for a playable map. I actually enjoy looking at the cliffs in this one.

I can't quite put my finger on it. IMO, the pathways don't seem very convincing to me that it's supposed to be a lightly paved pathway with the nature growing over it.

You know what, ignore what I said about the pathway.

Troll Lands, or in-game called "Dunum Highlands" for my RPG project Land of Fables. ^~^

180023-albums5761-picture97665.jpg

Yeah well....get better tree models this instant :p
I mean really now, they're too fugly for your terrain.
The paths are fine imo, just try to avoid using the sharp edges of the thick grass tile too much since that's fairly unnatural.

Never thought that I'd say this but...the Blizz cliffs are okay-ish in this one,
maybe too edgy for me but each with his own I suppose.
Try to play more with the Ashenvale Rock Cliff models a little, they're too monotone and also cover the edges with other rocks or vegetation to give it a pleasant look.

I'd personally add some logs and some tree stumps to make it more natural and at the same time as being inhabited by trolls and whatnot.

Level 10
ok, first of all it looks very neat so far, I would stay away from any more HD or high poly looking trees. IMO it has a nice WC3 feel at the moment, and the problem with replacing single things (e.g. trees or unit models) just make it feel off in my opinion, as you either stay with the WC3 feel (and if I remember right the terrains you posted for Land of Fables some time ago also look very Warcraft-ish and I guess you do not have many imports used there) or make it look 'better' with high poly models, but then you have to 'raise the bar' for everything and not only the trees.

As for the ground tiles, I would suggest you try the green/brown brick tiles from the ruins tileset, unless you do not have and space for more tiles.

EDIT: possible replacements for the current trees, would be the trees HerrDave posted to the model section lately

Status
Not open for further replies.