• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Suggestions for Increasing Model Silhouette - Goblin Bombardier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
So I am in the super-early-really-more-like-pre-Alpha process of having the beautiful buxom Goblin Bombardier edited for my nefarious purposes.

My primary issue can be seen best in context, here:

GoblinFamily3.jpg

She lacks, greatly, an in-game 'presence' or 'silhouette' (even worse from the regular perspective).

Something I have come to recognize & appreciate about Blizzard's style is that they know how important a good silhouette is. It is imperative that a model must be noticeable and recognizable at a moment's notice.

While Handclaw's excellent concept art resulting in Norinrad's stellar mesh-work do fit the bill in terms of Recognizability (i.e. easy to tell it's the Goblin Bombardier & not something else), I fear it lacks in terms of Noticeability.

As you can see below:
tinker.gif
alchemist.gif

Blizzard recognized how tiny Goblins really are, and so ensured that any Goblin unit (especially Heroes) have something to help them stand out. Sappers come in three's with equipment; Zeppelins are, well, huge, Shredder Goblins ride in giant suits of armor... The Tinker has the massive double-armed backpack, and the Alchemist rides a freakin' Ogre. :p

That being said, I can see that the "powder keg" on her back is an attempt at that, but I fear she will be lost in game due to her diminutive stature.

~~~

TL;DR - I am looking for Ideas as to what I can add to the model to make her more Visible from an in-game view.

She's got the keg... But what about a Rocket-Pak? Or foldout Wings? Or a rack of movable Dynamite? Or a satchel of Bombs ala Legend of Zelda? Or a huge bulky backpack stuffed with explosives and covered with Goblin Land Mines like the Happy Mask Salesman's Mask-Pack?? Or a trailing explosive Goblin Clockwerk buddy? Or a crazy 'Rokkit Launchr' (TM)? Give me your thoughts!
(Hope this is the right forum for this..) Thanks!
Respectfully,
Kyrbi0
//EDIT// - Someday eventually I might also like to throw a few more animations on there, just for some more variability in Attacks, and options for Spells... But all in good time. The important stuff first. :p

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Make this:

Do a list of all the things you would want to see in a bombardier.
(Pretty much) Done, though I'm open to suggestions...

BlinkBoy said:
Afterwards sort them from highest value of a female goblin hero to the lowest.
Um, huh? Do you mean "highest & lowest value of a female goblin hero" in terms of "what I think would best fit" or "be the most cool" or what? And if so... That's a little hard. I'm not quite sure, really, what would be coolest (though hopefully I'll know it when I hear/see it). :<

BlinkBoy said:
Then discard the lowest ideas and focus on the top ideas. Make 3 sketches on paper, each on a different day. At the end you'll know what to do.
It appears you mistake me for someone with an ounce of artistic ability. xD

Any other thoughts?

(Pretty much) Done, though I'm open to suggestions...

Um, huh? Do you mean "highest & lowest value of a female goblin hero" in terms of "what I think would best fit" or "be the most cool" or what? And if so... That's a little hard. I'm not quite sure, really, what would be coolest (though hopefully I'll know it when I hear/see it). :<

It appears you mistake me for someone with an ounce of artistic ability. xD

Any other thoughts?

The sketches don't need to be even decent. All that's important is that you try different approaches. The sketches help you visualize your idea.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
The sketches don't need to be even decent. All that's important is that you try different approaches. The sketches help you visualize your idea.

Eh... I don't think you realize just how bad I am at drawing figures. :C

I can try that... Guess I was just hoping to use my words to inspire someone else to do what you are suggesting. :p

~~

Thoughts, anyone?

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Here I edited the model for you with awesome jetpack and rocket launcher

joke.I don't do request.
Hahaha... Ok, but seriously, this wasn't a 'Request' (But if someone takes it that way & does it, I don't mind... :p). I'm just asking for suggestions from people who have better ideas than I do about model silhouettes, geomerging, etc.

So go ahead & get busy on that 'Non-Request'. And that Rocket Launcher better have flowers on it!! xD

That being said, I never considered a "rocket launcher"... At first I'm a little against it (edges into 'sci-fi' to me, and her throwing dinky bombs seems kinda funnier somehow)... But then I'm like "TEAM FORTRESS 2 !!!" and think there might be something there. : )

Edited first post; thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.