• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sculping & Modeling

Which modeling Techniques better define your Workflow?

• I do Sculping in zBrush/Mudbox and then I retopologize my models

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • I do some Sculping but I stick more with box modeling for most

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just use Sculping for adding details and generate normal maps.

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Sculping? daboo? I just do normal box modeling, extrude, collapse, etc with 3dsmax/maya/blender/mdlv

Votes: 8 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pretty sure most people on this site don't know what box modeling is either.
Attaching vertices manually is a joy, after all.
Probably not the right site to ask in...

Yeah... back in the days we had career artists going by like TDR.

Sadly, modern modeling is not something many people are aware off even though it produces a lot better results with more ease and less time.

As for box modelling, I normaly call that low-poly modeling. SO yeah geomerges and vertices moving goes all along that.

I actually did some sculpting in the past and like the workflow.

The problem is that it's hard to find powerful free tools for it. Mudbox is expensive.

Also, sculpting whole models from scratch is a pain in the ass. It's much faster to start with a box modelled base first and then do the details via sculpting.
It's a great tool to create normal maps.

I actually did some sculpting in the past and like the workflow.

The problem is that it's hard to find powerful free tools for it. Mudbox is expensive.

Also, sculpting whole models from scratch is a pain in the ass. It's much faster to start with a box modelled base first and then do the details via sculpting.
It's a great tool to create normal maps.

Depends on the tools, in zBrush with Dynamesh and zSpheres, it's quite easy.

The best is that with zRemesher you can retopologize your model to low poly, add subdivisions and have the best of both worlds, plus unwrapping is just a few clicks with uv master.

Level 17
I use Mudbox to sculpt and paint details for bakes.
But I still make the low poly with conventional polygonal tools in Max.

Mudbox isn't very good for sculpting from scratch from what I gather, it is more of a worfklow tool.

I use Mudbox to sculpt and paint details for bakes.
But I still make the low poly with conventional polygonal tools in Max.

Mudbox isn't very good for sculpting from scratch from what I gather, it is more of a worfklow tool.

Yeah all that mudbox lacks is a dynamesh and mannequin feature. Even blender can do dynamic topology.

Have you tried Quixel Suite? (ndo2 & ddo)

Level 17
Yes I did test out some stuff, but I found it a bit fiddly if you have less than stellar normals and also a bit less flexible than I'd want.
So I settled for a combination of ddo and hand painting.
Eg, I generate the base maps in ddo then manually paint a mask in Mudbox for where I want wear/dirt etc.

This cleaver though is kinda the basic setup that ddo spits out, not bad.
185888-albums6426-picture99298.jpg

Since you can't really convert PBR maps into diffuse I would just render the whole texture in PBR renderer on a flat plane in orthographic view and screen cap that to use as a texture in wc3 lol...
That way I can easily port my PBR models into wc3, without bothering with diffuse maps.

185888-albums6426-picture104349.jpg

Level 15
For anyone wanting to try sculpting without paying the high prices of zbrush/mudbox, check out sculptris. It's lightweight, but gives you a good toolset to learn with. Blenders sculpting tools have also improved tremendously. I personally use a combination of blender's metaballs(a bit like zspheres in zbrush) and blender's dynamic topology, and I've been able to get some good results.

Last edited:

A.R.

Skin Reviewer
Level 25
I've been using ZBrush for a couple of years now, even done a bit of Warcrafty stuff. These are all fairly old and not representative of what I've been doing recently but anyways, count me in for sculptage :)

Attachments

• untitled.108.jpg
    untitled.108.jpg
    375.5 KB · Views: 131
  • OrcBust.jpg
    OrcBust.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 113
  • Goblinguy.jpg
    Goblinguy.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 118
  • BE_Assassin.jpg
    BE_Assassin.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 122

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
I've been using ZBrush for a couple of years now, even done a bit of Warcrafty stuff. These are all fairly old and not representative of what I've been doing recently but anyways, count me in for sculptage :)

Oh you. (I love how the purple one has armor everywhere except her tender loins :<...)

I don't model, so I don't belong in this topic. But I am contractually obligated to harass AnemicRoyalty, so there's that.

If I modeled, it would be box-modeling I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.