• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Maya models to warcraft3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hi guys.. I have a friend who is really good in maya. He has said that he will help me in my map development.

The problem is he got no idea about warcraft 3 models and all. So, is it easy to convert maya models into warcraft 3? Which all softwares are needed? Is there a guide or so?

Level 17
There is no way to export things from maya directly into wc3 files as far as I know. The only way would be to export maya files, or rather autodesk (FBX) into 3Ds max and convert that into mdl.
If he also has 3Ds max, then it is ok I guess ? He would need NeoDex to export things from 3ds max though.

Level 7
There is no way to export things from maya directly into wc3 files as far as I know. The only way would be to export maya files, or rather autodesk (FBX) into 3Ds max and convert that into mdl.
If he also has 3Ds max, then it is ok I guess ? He would need NeoDex to export things from 3ds max though.

Can't maya create a format same as 3dmax? So he would have to convert maya to 3dmax then neodex?

Level 17
Maya can export into mostly the same filetypes as 3ds max, however maya cannot export directly from maya into wc3 model files.
3ds max can, using the NeoDex exporter script.

Maya could probably export into files that can be converted into functional wc3 models without 3ds max (such as obj files or something ?) but they may lose information such as animations. Models exported with NeoDex have nearly all features supported by mdl files.

Level 7
Maya can export into mostly the same filetypes as 3ds max, however maya cannot export directly from maya into wc3 model files.
3ds max can, using the NeoDex exporter script.

Maya could probably export into files that can be converted into functional wc3 models without 3ds max (such as obj files or something ?) but they may lose information such as animations. Models exported with NeoDex have nearly all features supported by mdl files.

Ya I remember using that long back. So maya can export ina formart that 3dmax can read. Then 3dmax can convert it with neodex exporter to something functional with Warcraft-3. Am I right?

You need...
<> Maya
<> 3ds Max (2010 or below)
<> NeoDex

Maya > FBX > 3ds Max > NeoDex > Check to make sure model is working right in mdlvis > use MDX converter script to make it game ready.

Remember, Warcraft 3 cannot use multiple texture layers, sucks at using vertex animations, and doesn't really support many features beyond basic geometry, diffuse textures, and keyframe animations.
Also, all geometry must be converted to an editable mesh before exporting to warcraft 3, and you have to apply textures via the warcraft 3 material that comes with the NeoDex plugin.

Last edited:
Level 7
You need...
<> Maya
<> 3ds Max (2010 or below)
<> NeoDex

Maya > FBX > 3ds Max > NeoDex > Check to make sure model is working right in mdlvis > use MDX converter script to make it game ready.

Remember, Warcraft 3 cannot use multiple texture layers, sucks at using vertex animations, and doesn't really support many features beyond basic geometry, diffuse textures, and keyframe animations.
Also, all geometry must be converted to an editable mesh before exporting to warcraft 3, and you have to apply textures via the warcraft 3 material that comes with the NeoDex plugin.

How do you install neodex?

Level 17
Complicated, I'm not sure what exactly can maya export and what Gmax can import.
I'm afraid you may have some problems. Gmax may import OBJ using a script or a plug-in maybe.
check that:http://lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2544775&postcount=12

It can probably import 3ds (3d studio) files natively so if maya can export that then it would be ok, but I can't remember if it does. (I have a vague memory that it actually doesn't)
Either way neither 3ds nor object will retain maya's animations I'm afraid.

Level 7
Complicated, I'm not sure what exactly can maya export and what Gmax can import.
I'm afraid you may have some problems. Gmax may import OBJ using a script or a plug-in maybe.
check that:http://lucasforums.com/showpost.php?p=2544775&postcount=12

It can probably import 3ds (3d studio) files natively so if maya can export that then it would be ok, but I can't remember if it does. (I have a vague memory that it actually doesn't)
Either way neither 3ds nor object will retain maya's animations I'm afraid.

So things like building without any animation could be imported to gmax by this manner? Download loading 3dmax 6 might take sometime.. So until the, this could work right?

Level 17
Yeah it might. Also, If your friend is skilled in maya he may as well animate in Gmax.
It doesn't have nowhere near as powerful animating tools as maya does but the basics of keyframe animation are around the same.
Except that Gmax is a retarded brother of 3ds max with some of the most user hostile interface ever conceived by a man (irony how they achieved that seeing how it is nearly identical to that of 3ds max but messed up in every way) and a steep learning curve on top of that (more a trench than a curve really) so it may take him some time getting around it.

Level 7
Yeah it might. Also, If your friend is skilled in maya he may as well animate in Gmax.
It doesn't have nowhere near as powerful animating tools as maya does but the basics of keyframe animation are around the same.
Except that Gmax is a retarded brother of 3ds max with some of the most user hostile interface ever conceived by a man (irony how they achieved that seeing how it is nearly identical to that of 3ds max but messed up in every way) and a steep learning curve on top of that (more a trench than a curve really) so it may take him some time getting around it.

Thats the best defination of gmax i could get. We are trying to get 3dmax 6 to start work. Thats the best option i guess. We will try with gmax before that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.