• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Almost Got a Model from Sketchup to Warcraft...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Here's the step by step process I used and here is where I am stuck:

1. Designed a house in sketchup and painted textures.
2. Exported to ".kmz" (this is with the free version)
3. Opened the ".dae" file in blender, everything was cool, so I exported to ".obj"
4. Opened the ".obj" file in Milkshape 3D (I know, hop in the time machine...)
5. Used the Warcraft 3 MDL exporter for Milkshape 3D to produces an MDL file

Now I'm encountering errors when I attempt to convert the ".mdl" file to MDX or open in the Warcraft 3 Model Editor.

Here's the Warcraft 3 Model Editor Error:

Expected ",", got "#" in group "Geoset" in C:\...house.mdl!

Here's the error I get when using the Mdlx converter:

Line 97: Expected a normal or closing },

The document does get weird at line 97. It reads:

{ -1.#IND00, -1.#IND00, -1.#IND00 },

And that re-occurs throughout the text.​

This is a totally static model, with no animations or bones.

Would I be in the same situation if I was using 3DSMax or Maya as the final program before creating a ".mdl" file?

I'm sure you all can see the significance of finding a sound method of importing sketchup models into the Warcraft 3 engine.

Level 3
*Bump

I just got the model converted to ".mdx" format using the Warcraft Model Editor. Turns out that program can import MS3D files! I can view the model in the Warcraft Model Viewer but it has no textures. So, I'm going to have to go and read some old tutorials and figure out how to get the texture mapping down in these programs. When I import this model in the game and I establish a sound method for moving Google Sketchup Models to Warcraft 3, I'll post a tutorial explaining how it is done!

Level 3
Why not use Neodex and 3ds max?

Established workflow and works perfectly.

I realized that after I started this experiment. I've never used GMax - the light version of 3ds max - but I understand that blender can export to that format.

The goal of this experiment is to take a model from sketchup to Warcraft 3 by whatever means. It may seem kind of weird but I'm really doing this just for fun.

If it comes down to it, where using Neodex and 3ds max would be better for reformatting the models, then I'll devise a new method that way.

I am very close to getting the model in Warcraft 3 now, though. But I'm getting the checkered box or just an invisible object. Something is going on with the textures and the route paths and I can't put my finger on it. If I recall, is there a size limit on the dimensions of a ".blp" image from rendering in Warcraft 3?

Edit*

I actually did get the texture mapping squared away since my last post. So I've got the fully textured ".mdx" file looking clean in the warcraft 3 model viewer and the editor. Here is a picture:

Evidence pt1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.