• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Supermj's Random Terrain Generator

Should I release it...

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Supermj's Random Terrain Generator
Well... I started making this so I could use it in my maps, but I'm currious to see it anyone would be interested in it now?
And...

Plusses:

It gives you a nice looking terrain. All the following are in game.
picture2su8.png

Almost 100% playable too!
picture0ad4.png

If you were to look around in game, You'd knowtice a lot more doodads. I didn't take photos based off doodad placement.
picture1rp0.png

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All current known flaws:

Hah, lookie, a lake! Though it is missing tide waters... No Idea how to fix that.
picture3xe9.png

Also, there are some strange looking trees in it... It must have flooded recently.

And wait a second!!!
picture4qm4.png

We can breathe underwater!!!!!!!

The other glitch; the first time only you can see through ground if you are scrolled down all the way. Though after that, it fixes itself.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Value:
Yay, this is what it currently looks like. I will update this every so often.
picture5wm2.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Level 8
This is a great idea BUT,

it needs options like:
Hight of deformations(Max/Min)?
Water (yes/no)? If Yes how deep?
How many Doodads (in % or as a integer)?

the other point it, i cant see any cliffs in this screenshots, only deformations.

that are Cliffs

this is a Deformation

Level 12
I do like that idea, but is there a way that you could make it so there was more, and I mean a lot more, tile.... oh god I forgot the world... oh yeah, variation? That would make it a lot better. And it would actually be useful then for something like a FPS or... that type of game, since you go underwater and that crap anyways.

Level 12
IMO its lookign a lot better already. I still think the tile variation could use some work, but I dont know if there is anything you can do about that so I wont judge. Anyways, keep working on it and I'm sure it will be very nice very soon. About the camera flaw, could that be fixed if right after you made the terrain, youmoved the camera to some other value, then moved it back to default?

Level 12
Well... I made it constantly update above the max terrain rize hight. I have no idea how to fix it... I'll just show you the trigger.
  • Events
    • Time - Every 0.05 seconds of game time
  • Conditions
  • Actions
    • Player Group - Pick every player in (All players) and do (Actions)
      • Loop - Actions
        • Camera - Set (Picked player)'s camera Distance to target to (Distance to target of Camera 001 <gen>) over 0.05 seconds
And I won't post the actual trigger itself for fear of getting banned of the site for it being FAR too long. But any idea how to do a better camera one?

EDIT: Forgot to say, the tile variation will get better... in time....

Level 12
If I do that....
1) I'd have to change the triggers a bit (not that big a deal).
2) I would not make every tile set. I would make - forest, planes, desert, snowy, ect...
3) I'd need enough votes to waste a whole day doing that. if enough people want that... then so be it...

Level 8
what about to work with Patch blockers? so when the terain goes under #Vaule# (where water starts) it creates moving patch blockers for ground units?
i will have a look in the next days(mb weeks) due to lots of exams -.- .
but this would be a nice improvment.
i am not sure if u can create 90° cliffs with triggers and then add moving blockers to them, that would replace the Cliffs.

Level 25
Your terrain variation still needs work. Instead of making big blotches of tiles, make little ones that blend and variate all over the map. Little details are always big plusses. :wink:

About the water problem, maybe you can make pathing blockers for ground units wherever water is made. That ought to work.
~Craka_J

Level 12
Well, the ting is, I don't know of a way for Wc3 to read the new terrain... that is why there are water problems. WC3 Just uses the original. Hopefully, Sc2 will possesses a better level editor to let me do these things.

And I have about 300 lines of add one tile... I just have to copy it more, and more, and more...

Level 21
sry for hijacking the thread, but that's a screen of a terrainingsystem I made about 1 month ago. I stopped working on it because I failed to find a good use for it in an actual map. Except maybe a shooter, but that's something I'm against in wc3.

That screen had quite a bad height variation indeed, but as you know, random terrain generation is based on luck. One of the things mine doesn't have is water because I saw no way to implement it without the waterpathing bug. I do hope you find a solution! Keep up the good work.

Attachments

• bla1.jpg
    bla1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 258
  • bla2.jpg
    bla2.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 283
  • bla3.jpg
    bla3.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 300
  • bla4.jpg
    bla4.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 1,535
Level 12
*Bump/resurrection from the living dead.

Things come back to existence. Things that were are. And are becomes, is. Causing an infinite loop that destroys all existence.... back to my point.

The point is, I have come back to this idea, but a little better. The host has a menu where he chooses every aspect of the game. (how large is map (All known Wc3 sizes), tile set (and how much variation with chosen tiles set), Hight (slopy, hilly, moutainy), doodads (This is interesting, what doodad, how much, and how clustered!), and then, when he reaches his final point, pressing the done button.

This works in theory now, but it doesn't seem to work in game. I've removed all leaks, but it still lags. Even though I'm using a much more advanced system then I was before. I'm making a periodic event that does one action, and then I turn it off and on with other triggers. Before, I was just putting it all next to each-other. Though, for some reason this lags... well, it shall be fixed, as i will post my triggers when I reach the other computer I shall post the triggers, and I hope for advice.

To restate my point, the goal of this project was to make a random terrain generator for everyone/anyone to use, and be happy with.

I hope this redeems the noobishness I was using last time, I'm truly sorry.

-supermj

Status
Not open for further replies.