• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Magi Deathmatch Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Greetings all of you HiveWorkshoppers! From the Creator that brought you http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/maps-564/damage-team-survival-v1-81-a-149616/... comes a new project!
Magi Deathmatch Arena

As the title implies, it is a quick-paced Deathmatch style game. Weapons (Spells in this case) are found in a manner that would usually be attributed to a modern FPS game. There are 5 unique characters, each with a slightly different "perk" to their skills.

Blood Elf: Has bonus mana regeneration. Starting Spell: Firebolt.
Dragonkin: Has 2 bonus maximum mana. Starting Spell: Arcane Bolts.
Demon: Bonus 100 maximum health. Starting Spell: Forcebolt.
Undead: Health regenerates over time. Starting Spell: Frostbolt.
Goblin: Bonus movement speed. Starting Spell: Reflective Shield.

So, for example, my Blood Elf Mage finds a book of Stunbolt:

After collecting it, my unit has now learned the ability to cast Stunbolt. A fairly weak, but fast moving projectile spell that stuns an enemy.

Did I mention projectiles? Oh yes, everything in this map (except a few utility skills) are projectile based attacks.

Here's a little video showcasing some of the projectiles (viewed in SLOW game speed):
http://www.wegame.com/watch/magi-deathmatch-arena-projectile-demonstration/

As you can see, some of them move at different speeds and have different effects. If you already have a skill when you pick up the associated book, then your spell rank of that ability increases, improving certain aspects of the skill. Let's list each spell and its effects here:

Firebolt: Deals heavy damage over time, but units already on fire will take the damage instantly. Higher ranks improve damage.
Stunbolt: Deals low damage, but stuns for 3 seconds. Higher ranks make this projectile move faster and cost less mana.
Forcebolt: A short range projectile that explodes and knocks units back from the impact. A direct hit results in a greatly increased amount of damage. Higher ranks improve the damage.
Frostbolt: Fast moving medium damage projectile. Units hit by these will be slowed by 60% for 8 seconds after impact. Higher ranks improve this projectile's damage.
Arcane Bolts: Rather than a single projectile, a cone of 5 low damage projectiles are fired simultaneously. Very deadly at close range. Higher ranks improve the damage of the bolts.
Lightning Mines: Creates an invisible (but attackable) mine on the floor. After 5 seconds of arming, the mine will unleash a flurry of lightning balls on the next enemy that comes into range. Higher ranks of the spell increase the damage of the lightning balls. Lightning Mines only spawn on a RANDOM weapon pickup point.

In addition to the damage spells of the game, utility spells and items may also be collected. Let's list them here:

Rune of Heatlh: When picked up, your mage is healed for 100 health.
Rune of Replenishment: When picked up, your mage has all mana refreshed to full, and has all cooldowns reset.
Drainer Wards: An item. Allows you to set up to 3 Drainer Wards, which have a small area effect mana drain around them. As a side effect, they can also take hits from projectiles and can act as a rudimentary barrier.
Blink Shard: Teaches Blink, allowing a short distance teleport. Each rank of this skill improves the cooldown.
Rune of Reflection: Teaches Reflective Shield. This spell allows a shield to form around your character, giving incoming enemy projectiles a chance to be reflected back - giving you the credit for any kills by this reflected projectile. Higher ranks improve the duration and chance of reflection of the shield.
Reversal Module: An item. When used, all projectiles in a large radius around the user instantly change direction and become owned by the user of the Reversal Module. Excellent for unexpectedly making enemies Firebolt themselves!
Disruptor Ward: Creates a very high health ward at the target location that will prevent any players from casting if they are too close to it. Additionally, it directs all nearby projectiles directly at itself, essentially acting as a perfect defensive shield.

As an extra benefit, if the spell you have learned is already at maximum rank, then a special effect is applied if you get the book/item that teaches you the spell again. They are:

Firebolt: Firebolt Explosion! 10 Firebolts are launched in a circle around you.
Stunbolt: Stunbolt Volley! 10 Stunbolts are launched in a circle around you.
Arcane Bolts: Arcane Disruption! 20 Arcane Bolts are launched in a circle around you.
Forcebolt: Forcebolt Eruption! 10 Forcebolts are launched in a circle around you.
Frostbolt: Frostbolt Volley! 10 Frostbolts are launched in a circle around you.
Reflective Shield: Mass Reversal! All projectiles on the map change direction and are converted to yours.
Blink: Speed Boost! Your speed is maximised for 15 seconds.
Lightning Mines: Mine Layer! 3 mines are created around you.

Here's a video showing the Firebolt Explosion in action:
http://www.wegame.com/watch/magi-deathmatch-arena-firebolt-explosion/

Now that you've learned of the basic concepts of the game: Let's learn about the maps and rules of the game.

The game contains 14 different maps, each with its own unique size, shape and special features.

The Spam Box: A very small map with a huge amount of pick ups and items.

Incinerator: A map that has a central area filled with utility pickup points. However, a trap can be sprung to burn people who linger in this area for too long!

Long Yard: A basic map. The shape of the map encourages long range projectiles due to its tight and straight corridors.

One-Way Streets: This map contains 2 "Flow Zones" that redirect all projectiles to move towards the direction of the flow.

Downflow: A large amount of deep water restricts movement, but allows projectiles to pass. However, downward pointing flow zones make aiming difficult.

Waterworks: A large whirlpool room is what crowns this map - sending projectiles spiralling around in the room. There are also 2 large caches of pickups situated at the disadvantageous bottom of 2 long flow zones.

Mountain-Side Brawl: A basic map. This map contains a large amount of blocking objects making close range duels more profitable than long range shoot outs.

9-Room Knockout: As the title implies, 9 rooms are linked in a rotational pattern. At the corners, teleporters provide quick access to the opposite sides.

Hall of Reflection: The room is populated by Divine Reflectors, which randomly redistribute themselves throughout the room, reflecting all projectiles that come near them. These reflections retain original ownership.

The Flood: All flow zones point to the centre of this + shaped map, but with all the utility pickups being situated at the centre, it becomes increasingly risky to get at those rewards.

Channels: A basic map, but covered in deep water, restricting movement but allowing projectiles to pass. The Blink spell vastly improves the ability to traverse this map, making the utility pickup points a great commodity to fight over.

Stranded: A basic map on an island. Cliff edges and rocks provide blocking for projectiles and the players.

Tower of Power: A spiral ascent brings the players to the top of this tower where a utility pickup can be found. Taking the nearby teleporter will transport the player back to the bottom, allowing a round trip of pickups to be collected on the next ascent.

Mana Scorch: A basic map that has large blue coloured fires at various points of the map. Touching a Mana Fire causes your mage to be instantly drained of all mana - an effect that be easily exploited to your ends by using Forcebolt.

(Flow Zone Example Video: http://www.wegame.com/watch/projectile-flow-system/)

At the start of the game, each player chooses which Mage they would like to play as, and a random map is picked by the game to play on. The map ends when a player reaches 5 personal kills on that map. Once this happens, the map ends, all spells and abilities are reset, and a new map is chosen at random.

After a total of 5 maps have been played, the player with the most kills total is declared the winner of Magi Deathmatch Arena!
If 2 or more players end the game with the same score, then those players are each given all the spells in the game at maximum rank, and put into a Sudden Death arena. The first player to score a kill in this Sudden Death wins the game.

As an additional feature, a fully implemented and (mostly) competent AI has been implemented into this game - allowing you to play offline to practise your skills and the AI will also conveniently take over for all those leavers to ensure your game continues as you intended!

Map Information
Current Stage: Beta 3
Currently Working on: AI System.

Map Download:
See Attachment! Beta Version 3 ready for play-testing!

Please Read before Commenting! KNOWN ISSUES
- AI not yet implemented in Beta 3.
- Sudden Death Round may be bugged, as it is untested.
----------------------------------

Attachments

• Magi Deathmatch Arena Beta3.w3x
    748.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:
Level 2
This seems quite spectacular. Your projectile system seems impressive too.
A small note, the link for the second video is broken and directs to the wrong page.

But back to the map. This is similiar to something I am doing but my map incorporates heroes with preset abilities.

Though this map has me quite perked up, seems like an upgrade to the warlock style of play. Keep me updated for beta!

Level 14
Well, I've made a few maps before, but I believe the only edge that I have is that I think from the point of view of the players - new players and experienced players. I also add quite a lot of psychology into my thinking when designing all aspects of the level.

Here's one effect that I had when I was developing my Team Survival. The Naga Deeplord hero was almost never being picked when playing online - and I knew this wasn't because he was weak or anything, but it was because he was the only one who didn't have a hero model (He was using the standard Naga Royal Guard model).
I then changed his model to a custom Tide Baron model from here on Hive, and he was picked literally EVERY game simply because of a new model. The exact same thing happened with the Lightning Harbinger. Truely, some people only care that it looks 'cool' and don't even pay the blindest bit of attention to what it actually does. Taking that into consideration, this new map has custom models for all of the characters, so there shouldn't be an extreme bias like there was back in Damage Team Survival.

Other considerations that I've added to the game are that the spell descriptions of this map are considerably shortened and easy to understand. In DTS, the spells were often very complex in their description and purpose, and this often put players off. Some players would leave the game within the first 5 minutes without even casting any abilities - something which I attributed to their non-willingness to have to learn complex mechanics for such a short game time.

Taking such considerations into this new project I can bring the players with a good sense of confidence in the game itself. For example, should one player be absolutely murdering the others and getting all the skills etc. then it won't matter because the round will be over very soon - resetting it all and giving someone else a try. I've also added environmental dangers and special tactics in the map shapes to even allow disadvantaged players the ability to overcome dominant players if they play correctly - or in the case of the Incinerator Map, simply hit a switch and burn them.

Respawns are instant and spawn players away from others to ensure that camping of spawn areas isn't possible - all to let the losing player still enjoy his/herself without just quitting the game.

When someone leaves the game, it can have a knock-on effect on the attitude of other players. Consider a team game such as DotA - if someone on your team leaves, you're at a grave disadvantage, encouraging you to leave as you can't possibly win. In Damage Team Survival, I offset this by lowering the game difficulty when a player leaves the game and moderating the number of opponents and gold income based on player numbers. This meant that should a player leave, the others could continue on as normal.

In this project, I intend to have an AI take over for players that leave the game, ensuring that those who stay still have the same number of people to fight against that they expected when they first started the game.

So you could say I was experienced... but really, look from the point of view of the players and always consider the fun factor, and the psychological effects of other player's actions and success on the losing players, and the work arounds you can add to counter the negatives of these.

Putting yourself in the player's boots always gives you a massive advantage on tailoring a good game into a great game.

Level 14
I've got most of tonight to work on the map, so I'll get to making it as functional as possible. The AI system has not yet been implemented as I haven't yet got word back from 13Stallion who said he was going to attempt it.

All going well, I'll have a playable Beta version ready by the end of today.

Level 14
Oh, some other little bits of information I forgot to mention:

These stats are boosted depending on your character bonuses.
Base Stats are:
HP - 500
Mana Regen - 0.75/sec
Max Mana - 10
Move Speed: 270

Ability Damage/Stats:
Firebolt (4 mana)
- Rank 1: 78 damage over 12 seconds.
- Rank 2: 153 damage over 17 seconds.
- Rank 3: 210 damage over 20 seconds.

Stunbolt (4 sec cooldown)
- Rank 1: 20 damage, 800 move speed, 3 mana.
- Rank 2: 40 damage, 1000 move speed, 2 mana.
- Rank 3: 60 damage, 1200 move speed, 1 mana.

Frostbolt (3 mana, 60% slow)
- Rank 1: 50 damage
- Rank 2: 100 damage
- Rank 3: 150 damage

Arcane Bolts (2 mana, 4 sec cooldown)
- Rank 1: 5 bolts @ 25 damage.
- Rank 2: 5 bolts @ 50 damage.
- Rank 3: 5 bolts @ 75 damage.

Forcebolt (5 mana, 4 sec cooldown)
- Rank 1: 10 AoE damage, +40 direct hit
- Rank 2: 20 AoE damage, +80 direct hit
- Rank 3: 30 AoE damage, +120 direct hit.

Lightning Mine (7 mana, 15 sec cooldown, 50 health)
- Rank 1: 12 bolts @ 8 damage.
- Rank 2: 12 bolts @ 16 damage.
- Rank 3: 12 bolts @ 24 damage.

Last edited:
Level 10
-demonic mage doesn't have a portrait image
-fix the hotkeys for the spells, a,w,d,f,g?? that is annoying, :grin:

The reversal module, is BADASS!

Ok, so the game itself, seems like pretty much just a warlock clone. The thing that REALLY makes this QUITE good, is that projectile system. Maybe I don't play enough games with them, but this one is very nice. The way it is implemented is just wonderful.

It is pretty fun too!

Level 49
Hmm. The hotkeys are strange but easy to get used to. I think that the Mana Drainer wards are near useless and I couldn't get what is the reversal module supposed to do. Reflective Shield was quite an awesome spell, I killed two guys with it. Also, Dragonspawn seems a little overpowered, he can cast much more spells than everyone else in a shorter time. I really liked using Stunbolt+Arcane Volley+random spell to finish him off, it's quite a useful combination. Anyhow, I think that it needs a nicer hero selection and more re-playability; after two times no one wanted to join my host. :/

Anyhow, I only played versus three people once and versus only one the other time I played. Third time I didn't get any players. I guess it just has to be more known and has a nice 'image' instead of the question mark.

Level 14
Addressing as many comments as possible:

As to concerns about the minimap preview, I've got that on its way with a nice picture.
As this is currently a Beta version, I do expect some aspects of the game to be considered too powerful or whatever, and this is why I released it here first.

Please note, there is also a bug on the Mountain-Side Brawl map that may cause a player to be spawned inside a patch of trees and be unable to move. This will be fixed of course.

As for the Hotkeys... well, what would you use?
I tried to keep them all very close to the ASDFG and QWERTY area of the keyboard so that they are easily reachable with your left hand, while you use your right to move about. I cannot use S as that is for Stop, so I got the nearest button: W. Hence, AWDFG for the main spells.

Yes, the Dragonkin +4 mana bonus is slightly overpowered. I am probably going to make it so he has only 2 bonus mana.

As for Zack1996's comment about having more spells that are non projectile, I am afraid I cannot do that. The game is supposed to emphasise player skill at leading targets and using combinations of abilities to defeat the enemy. I specifically stated in my plan for this game that all sources of damage will be from projectile type attacks.

Also, Drainer Wards useless? How so? In the games I played, it was very possible to lock down a player completely by constantly laying them at the enemy's feet as they move around, and also don't forget you can block doorways or other entrances with them to act as a barrier to defend yourself with.

The Reversal Module makes all projectiles within 1000 range of your mage instantly reverse direction (180 degrees) and becomes your own. It's best to use the Module when a nearby enemy triggers a volley - it usually instantly kills them as all the projectiles turn around and slam them in the center.

With regards to lag concerns: This is a known issue and I know exactly what is causing the problem. This will be massively reduced in the next version of the map.

Warlock? A lot of people keep mentioning this game, but I honestly have never heard of or ever played it. So if it seems like I'm trying to clone it, I'm honestly not - this is just an idea that came into my head one day and I thought it'd be a fun game to play.

And yes, the Demonic Mage does not have a portrait. The model I used was http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/nether-mage-155065/?prev=search=nerubian&d=list&r=20 but for some reason the Portrait file that came with the model was just a special effect with a birth animation and no proper camera angle (look for yourself) - I'll probably replace the model with something else anyway, as I'm not totally satisfied with it.

EDIT: Added a list of Known Issues to the main post. From here on, there's no need to mention them any longer as I'll be fixing those issues first and foremost. I've also gone back on the idea for the Hall of Reflection map - projectiles still get reflected all over the place, but they'll retain original ownership, so there's no need to be so cautious like before. This change is already implemented in the current beta version.

Level 12
I hope it turns to better. goblin sounds less powered a bit, is he? because his native skill is gainable with an item.

I like special features with the maps. For your knowledge, my favorite mage-arena map is warlock so far. You should make more special maps to benefit each spell type. Like, an ice-surface map for further knockback based spell. A map which has quarters filled with explodable gas (for fire spell). These are just examples anyway.

I didn't downloaded and tried it yet. And you should say it when you need another things.

Level 49
I've had a few ideas recently. Sadly, I only remember one... Well, here's an idea for a map.

Minefield Rampage

The map is a medium-sized map. It is shaped like a square and the middle is one big courtyard, and all powerups and item spawns are located on it. However... The courtyard is filled with mines! Explosive Mines will explode and will have a 50% chance to kill you or to fatally wound you; whatever the outcome will be, the mines are still by far the most dangerous enemy on the battlefield. Arcane Mines will drain you of your mana and energy, disabling mana regeneration for a few seconds, setting the caster's mana to 0 and silencing the caster for even longer than his mana regeneration is disabled.

Level 14
The idea is nice, but sudden instant death would feel immensely unfair wouldn't it?

EDIT: Added another known issue with regard to the end game scores being drawn.

I also tried out that Warlock map, and I'd say I've got a similar idea, but my implementation is far faster paced. I mean, as an example, the base Fireball spell of that game does 7 damage on a 4.8 second cooldown. And as the Warlocks have 100 health, it takes absolutely ages to kill people. Not to mention spells are purchased as upgrades etc, and there appears to be limited/no map variation.

I wouldn't pass my game off as a clone just yet. Sure it has a comparable projectile system, but by no means is the gameplay paced anything like the Warlock Brawl.

@Luffy: By no means is starting with a Reflective Shield Rank 1 a disadvantage, particularly when getting a reflective shield at all can be difficult due to the item's spawn location and the amount of contest over them.

Last edited:
Level 14
On the issue of 2 or more players getting the same high score, I'll be adding a "Sudden Death" feature that puts all the drawing players in an arena with maxed-out spell ranks. First player to get a kill on that arena wins the game.

EDIT: Beta 2 should be available shortly. Just dragging my friend back into Photoshop to make the minimap preview image and then it's all set to go. Look out for it in the next few hours.

EDIT2: Beta2 is ready! The Sudden Death mode at the end of the game is currently untested, so please report any problems with it in this topic. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Level 14
Sorry in advance for er... Triple posting I suppose, but!

New version, Beta 2.1 is out now. Additions in this version:
- Fixes spawn issues on Mountain-Side Brawl, Stranded, The Flood, 9-Room Knockout and Incinerator.
- New "-kick [colour]" command allows the host to kick. The host can play as any colour, and is not limited to just playing as red. An ingame message will alert the host to this change.
- Pressing the ESC key will zoom out the camera, to give a better view of the battle.

Level 49
The idea is nice, but sudden instant death would feel immensely unfair wouldn't it?

Well, you could make the mines just damage instead of kill, I suppose.

I've tested the new version. Kinda the same, only that I adore the music. Anyways, suggestions...

Spell:

BTNClusterRockets.pngHoming Cluster: Sends a cluster of rockets. The rockets will target a nearby enemy and chase it until he's out of range or he dies. Be careful, though, if there is no player around you, the rockets will target your mage!

If the target escapes the maximum range in-time, the rockets will explode dealing no damage(vanish). The ability is channeled until all rockets are shot. The rockets will only target ONE mage and they can not switch targets, even if their target dies or escapes.

Amount of Rockets: 2\3\4
Damage Per Rocket: 50/75/100
Stun Duration: 0.5/1/1.5 seconds
Speed: Medium
Max Range: 500

Item:

BTNAntiMagicShell.jpgArcane Disruptor: Creates a field of anti-magic energy around you. Only the owner of the field will be able to cast magic inside the field(the guy who used the item). 1 charge, lasts 10 seconds.

Also, I recommend you to change the names of the magi. Here's what I've had in mind:

Bloodmage(Blood Elf)
Conjurer(Dragonkin)
Warlock(Demon)
Lich(Undead)
Technomage(Goblin)

Last edited:
Level 14
As for the Rockets, I'm actually out of button slots, so I don't know if I'll be able to implement that. Plus, I'm not very experienced in detecting channel spells, so I'll need to look up on how to do that. I may implement something like a homing rocket as an item, but I'm not going to allow it to stun, as it would become far too powerful to allow an easy stun without having to truly aim it.

The Arcane Disruptor is a nice idea, and I intend to implement something along those lines - the other thing that I'll have it do though is to cause all enemy projectiles nearby to be redirected straight at the disruptor - it will have 1000 health to take all the blows, but it will act as a fantastic guard against enemy projectiles when you deploy it - and that's in addition to making nearby enemies unable to cast.

As for the name changes... I like 'em. I'll change them to those you suggested.

EDIT: And with this many new items, I'll probably make it so that Health Runes and Refreshment Runes never drop from the Black Utility pads - but killing a player will make them drop one.

Level 14
As another little change, I'm going to weakening the damage of Arcane Bolts. Although it was designed to be the highest damage spell in the game (when used at very close range) it is quite simply too powerful when combined with a Stunbolt - you could easily cut off 385 of someone's health just with 2 spells, and finish off the last 115 with say a Frostbolt, Forcebolt or if you want to delay it a little, a Firebolt.

Arcane Bolts will go down to doing 15 damage/bolt/rank from their current 25. So at Rank 1, the maximum damage is 75 (which is 3 more than a Firebolt). At max rank, the damage is 225 (15 more than a max rank Firebolt).
This should put it more in line with the other spells in terms of damage.

I may also increase its mana cost, so as not to encourage excessive long-range cast spam which many players did simply because it's so easy to hit with.

At the same time, I'll be lowering the cost of Forcebolt, due to it being rather expensive at the moment at 5 mana.

Level 12
I just remembered that this plan really looks similar to another map. I was wandering around my archives yesterday night and I found the map "orbcraft". I guess I even had downloaded it from here. Gathering spells and throwing them, it is similar to that map a bit.

and also I've tested your map too. it's nice. flowing is good and also it should be improved too.

Level 14
@debode: I'm not changing Firebolt at all, just Arcane Bolts.

The Flow system was a little personal accomplisment of mine. It uses the Trigonometrical CAST Diagram to calculate the projectile direction and apply the appropriate speed/angle changes. I really like how it turned out, except that sometimes the projectile doubles back on itself, which isn't too realistic, but I'll get to working that out later.

EDIT:
It works like this.
As the angles of the projectiles are given in degrees, it would normally be quite easy to determine the direction of the projectile. For example, if the angle was 45 degrees, that would mean a North-East direction. That would mean I could quite easily check to see if the projectile's angle was within the range 0 - 90 degrees, and if so, I knew it was moving at toward North East, and I could change its angle slightly or speed it up or whatever to make it "flow" to a new direction.

The problem is however, that the angle of the projectile can be outside the bounds of 0 - 360 degrees. Spells such as my reflective shield skill simply just +180 degrees onto the movement, as such you can end up with a nearly infinite sized number for the projectile's angle.
So, how do we solve this?
Answer is a CAST Diagram!
castrule.JPG

What this diagram shows, is that starting at the Initial Line (the positive x-axis) and measuring your angles counter clockwise, then taking the Sin, Cosine and Tangent of those angles gives either a Negative or Positive answer.

In the C quadrant, Cos is Positive, Sin is Negative, Tangent is Negative.
In the A quadrant, Cos is Positive, Sin is Positive, Tangent is Positive
In the S quadrant, Cos is Negative, Sin is Positive, Tangent is Negative.
In the T quadrant, Cos is Negative, Sin is Negative, Tangent is Positive.

In short,
C = Only Cos positive.
A = All positive
S = Only Sin positive.
T = Only tangent positive.

So, I want my projectiles to flow UPWARDS for example. That means, should my projectile be moving either North-East or North-West, then it must be travelling roughly with the flow, meaning it should speed up. North-East is the A quadrant, and North-West is the S quadrant.
So, applying the conditions:
  • Or (Any Conditions are True)
    • And (All Conditions are True)
      • Cos(Angle) is greater than or equal to 0
      • Sin(Angle) is greater than or equal to 0
      • Tan(Angle) is greater than or equal to 0
    • And
      • Cos(Angle) is less than or equal to 0
      • Sin(Angle) is greater than or equal to 0
      • Tan(Angle) is less than or equal to 0
I have now successfully checked to see if the projectile has a roughly northward moving direction, and then I can tell the projectile to speed up. To change the angles however, I have to +angle when in the C and A quadrants (making it turn to the right - towards north) and -angle when in the S and T quadrants (making it turn left - towards north).

Using different combinations of Positive and Negative checks on the trigonometrical functions allowed me to see the direction of any projectile at all even if its facing angle was well beyond the 360 limit or indeed negative.

...and yes I do love Maths.

Last edited:
Level 14
CAST diagrams are the basis of all the angles in Warcraft 3. The reason that 0 degrees is due East is because in Trigonometry, all angles are traditionally measured from the Initial Line - which is technically due east along the X-Axis of the diagram.

At my level of mathematics, I never actually use Degrees at all, and instead measure all angles in Radians - it's sort of a more natural unit for all angles.
90 Degrees = 1.57079633... Radians (Pi / 2)
180 Degrees = 3.14159265... Radians (Pi)
270 Degrees = 4.71238898... Radians (3*pi / 2)
360 Degrees = 6.28318531... Radians (2*Pi)

Though it seems counter intuitive at first to measure angles in multiples of Pi, it makes differentiating of trigonometrical functions directly transposable, whereas differentiation of trigonometry in degrees causes a massive scalar deformation of the graph.
...which you probably don't have a clue what that means, but basically put, differentiating stuff in maths is very important, and it doesn't work with degrees. So use Radians!

And yes, there is progress. I'm just finalising some changes with the Absorber Ward - the one which takes in enemy projectiles nearby and gets hit by them as well as AoE silencing nearby enemies - and changing the item drop system for Health + Mana runes, as well as fiddling around a little bit with the mana costs and cooldowns of some spells.

New version should be out on Monday, so stick around!

@Zack1996: It's definitely a possibility, yes.

Level 14
Beta 3 is now ready.

New in this version:

- Utility Pads no longer create Health or Mana runes. However, these items will drop from killed players.
- A new item, the Disruptor Ward has been added. This ward prevents enemy spell casting if they are too close, and also redirects all nearby projectiles towards itself - acting as an excellent defence against multitudes of projectiles. The ward has 1000 health to take the punishment, and lasts 50 seconds.
- All mages have been renamed to unique names.
- If a player leaves, the leaderboard will show the player as "Left the Game".
- Arcane Bolt damage has been reduced to 15 damage per rank, down from 25.
- Forcebolt now only costs 3 mana to cast. The knockback effect now pushes a maximum of 400 distance (up from 300) but also pushes at twice the speed. The cooldown has also been reduced by 0.5 seconds.

Level 14
Sorry for the long delay everyone, I've just been rather busy recently with University Work and playing WoW.

I got a little demoralised also when I passed the map to someone who said he'd make an AI system... and I never heard from him since.

Anyway, I'm currently working on the AI system myself, and it's proving to be very difficult. I've got most of the groundwork covered (such as the computer is searching for items, then for enemies, they use items etc.) but for some reason they all out refuse to ever cast any of the spells and instead just sort of "nudge" towards you slightly whenever they should've cast a spell.

Also, while making the AI system, suddenly all the firebolts are broken (lolwut?) even though I didn't change them at all.

I'm offering the map as Open Source now at this thread: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...fficult-ai-system-projectile-problems-166065/.

Anyone capable of fixing either of the above problems will be given a huge amount of credit towards the map's creation, and my greatest thanks and a rep bonus.

So to summarise: The project is still moving, just working out some strange errors and kinks that have developed and working on the AI.

EDIT: Updated the front post.

Level 14
Ok, the AI system is looking really good now!

I just need to iron out some bugs with its search personality and then it'll be good to go. I'll likely release the map to the map resource section once the AI is up to scratch and see how it goes from there.

Stay tuned everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.