• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Island of Life: Introduction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 11
Copy_of_Tany_Sig.png

What is Island of Life?
Island of life is a Biological simulation game which focuses on ecosystem management.
The player is provided control of an island, which is initially barren & devoid of any life.
The goal is to nurture the island & turn it into a lush healthy and self sustaining ecosystem.
However the goal can only be accomplished when the player will understand the balance between plants, animals & their environment.

Gameplay
Much of the gameplay is still in the preliminary phase.
However the main concept has remained the same since the beginning. The setting is going to be either cretaceous or Jurassic periods. To acquire animals the player is provided with eco-points. However, before putting the animals in the ecosystem the player first has to build food & water resources ( patches of woodland\water pools). Once the ecosystem is ready, it will be all experimental. The player will have to learn animal behavior by observing their activities & their needs & provide them accordingly. For eg: a triceratops would need a huge amount of vegetation to sustain itself & you can't put it in a fledgling island because it will die of starvation. Similarly, a T-rex would die of hunger until she is provided with a large prey base.

Eco-Points
Ecology points or Eco-Points is the currency of the game. The player uses eco-points to buy animals, vegetation & to use weather tools. At the beginning of the game the player is provided with a certain number of eco-points which he can use for the basic layout. Once the island's ecosystem is on its way the player starts earning them. Eco-points constantly keep increasing based on the number of animals you have on your island. Healthy animals constantly return what they take from their environment. The more the population the faster you'll earn eco-points.

Eco-Point Bonus:
Births symbolize a healthy & prospering ecosystem. Whenever an animal will give birth or in this case, lay eggs, the player will earn an eco-point bonus.

Death:
Death is also a part of nature. Death of an animal will bring a small but much needed amount of eco-points.

# The player must learn to use wisely use Eco-points if he is to succeed in 'Island of Life'.

===============
Under Construction-----Please be patient :)
===============

Last edited:
Level 11
Thanks for the encouragement. I am working very hard on this one, the game is still very conceptual and I'm still fiddling with the coding part but all is going well so far. :D
I will furnish the thread with the first screenshots, as soon as I can.

PS: Coding is my weakness. if any programmers\triggerers would like to help me, feel free to PM me. Thanks again.
~N.Knight

Level 13
I kinda dislike the idea that it will encompass every part of the history of earth.

First it will be a really long game or each period will go super fast and you wont really know what just went by

and we dont exactly know what every period acctually had.

I think it would be cool if you start on a barran rock of an island and you need to make colonzing plants like mosses and the such and you have a certian number of ecological points that you can use to make like a rapid population boom of a certian specie

Level 11
I kinda dislike the idea that it will encompass every part of the history of earth.

First it will be a really long game or each period will go super fast and you wont really know what just went by

and we dont exactly know what every period acctually had.

Hi Gallin,
I think it would be cool if you start on a barran rock of an island and you need to make colonzing plants like mosses and the such and you have a certian number of ecological points that you can use to make like a rapid population boom of a certian specie

Your first point is correct, it will be a really long game. I can't possibly integrate the natural history of the world into one small game. What I have in mind is to assign one map to each epoch, and finally merging them into a campaign.
But I will release each map separately too.

Your second point is also correct, we still exactly don't understand the various prehistoric life forms of Earth. But, In case of video games and films, the artists do take certain artistic liberties to recreate these magnificent animals and their environment. That is why I will start with a very well known and widely researched period : The late Jurassic.

I also like your idea of ecological points, I'm sure to find a way to incorporate them into the game.

If its possible i can help you by betatesting and stuff, i can also then suggest.

Hi Eldubs,
Yes it is possible and thank you for asking. I will contact you when the first beta will be ready.

And thank you guys (all of you who posted) for showing interest in the project. :)

Level 17
I too shall follow this, for I am a lover of all things science. I'll especially be following the marine one when it comes around.
Good-luck with this project, sounds awesome!

How u doign NK?
WOW!!! This sounds REALY AMAZING!!!. if i understood it correct, u want 2 make a campaign about the (biological history) of an island, right? well i guess u will make an underwater map there too or? if u r interested in sea models (including pirates and prehistoric) feel free 2 pm me and tell me what models u want. currently i could offer u only a giant squid http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/models-530/giant-kalamari-183875/?prev=status=p&u=Markos3520. i hope it gets approved. Well i will fix asap the death anim, make it slower.

Level 5
I remember this map being based on subtle control over the ecology... Mind elaborating exactly what that covers?
And is the objective something like species evolution, life sustenance or something else entirely. And, does this also include the botanical aspects, aside from evolving zoology?

{EDIT}
I remember this map being based on subtle control over the ecology... Mind elaborating on exactly what that covers?
And is the objective something like species evolution, life sustenance or something else entirely? And, does this also include the botanical aspects, aside from evolving zoology?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.