• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Hero Arena] Battlegrounds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
!!!THE MAP IS UNPROTECTED FOR LEARNING PURPOSE!!!
Keep in mind, that this map is ONLY uploaded and updated in www.hiveworkshop.com!
Explanations have been added in non-revealed boxes. Anything you are interested in reading - just click the reveal. This way it wont annoy those who dont like wall of text.
Please realize, that this map is far from finished! The only who played and tested this map seriously was me. Sadly, its impossible only by myself to test and see mistakes. I would be thankful, if you could help in testing it out to support further development on it.

Ever wanted to be a part of a big war and not to be the one who controls all those "lot of stuff"? Why not instead being 1 of those little units who try to fight for the honor of their king? If you agree so far with this, then this map is exactly made for you! The map is an MMO Simulator, intending to make the player feel like he is in some battlefield full of action. There are 2 teams in the game - Lordaeron and The Horde. Each team has Cities, which produce resources and can be used to revive slain heroes. The main goal of the players is to capture all cities in the province to acquire victory. The heroes have their abilities rebalanced, to avoid situations like "rambo kill every thing Demon Hunter" and etc. All abilities in the game are set to 10 levels. When your hero levels up, your abilities are leveled up as well! Every hero has a new ability according to their personality or just to rebalance them even further more.

The idea was to bring together a big group of remarkable heroes and see if they can work together to achieve amazing things. Some of the items were intended to have the possibility to UPGRADE certain hero skills, to even balance further the game possibilities. Even though I have added an extra ability to each hero, there are 2 more free space cubes in the interface, which I could fill with even more choices for each hero. I could bring even more heroes on live, if I ever manage the rest things before the leaks make another nasty assault. I have in mind to make the AI player being more tactical if possible ... or at least not so dumb like the current state. The buildings were intended to be not just Cities(Castles), but different things like:
Altar - Reviving slain heroes faster then a City.
Market Places(different types) - Selling EVEN more and better varieties of items(according to its type).
Barrack - Trains at certain time a raiding group to speed up the siege on building.
Mage Tower(I am thinking to remove this one) - Enchants an item for a hero, adding some minor stats.
Theres some more I could bring you up to speed, but Im still not sure about that.

At first, the map was intended to be a joke project for my little cousin. It had all the original things in a dota-like one-way game play, with implemented simple RushnHitnRun AI. After few days some ideas hit me in my mind to show me what could possibly become more of the map, if I put a lot more work on it .Sadly, I stumbled occasionally on things which made me give up, and pause it for looong time ...

I will avoid putting any items, until I am COMPLETELY sure and ready with balancing of things like "Blade Master + dmg items abuse", and to prepare triggers for the AI players to actually BUY THEM. I dont want some users full of items to go around 3 hit-killing the AI players! Its a lot of work, so bear wif me ...

The first funny thing about this map is that at first, I thought it will be some 1 month work, but then ... the leaks crushed me! Yes, the leaks. Those pesky little software mistakes, with which I was supposed to be lot more careful with! Instead I rushed and at the first try, I had to remake the project a new, the next times they were making me give up ...
The second funny thing about the map, is that probably 50% of the work I have put was on typo fixing and "blizz-like" tooltips creation. I dont know I if put too much careful work on tooltips and text ...

Dont worry, I have made a balancing system, which kicks out an AI for each player active. I will give an example. Each side has 36 AI players on this map. If 5 players join in Lordaeron team, then there will be 31 AI players in Lordaeron and 36 AI players in Stormwind.

I have never worked in team with ANY one in any dev program, so I have NO IDEA how this could work out with out desynchronizing our work. If you still insist in working with me, then pm me in this forum and try your best to convince me.

Blizzard Entertainment for the incredible WC3 of course!
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/ for their easy to find and learn tutorials about the world editor.
http://www.hiveworkshop.com for their handsome community! <3
Big fanks goes to "EvilPitlord" for hes "open for learning" unprotected map "World of Warcraft". I have learned from hes map allot about world editor indeed! Also the map is fun. ^^

Note: Those tips are given only for single player! Multiplayer is kinda different.
The list is still in progress!

Spell 1: Holy Light - Heals non-undead friends and damage undead enemies. The paladin cannot cast it on himself!
Spell 2: Divine shield - Makes the caster immune to any damage or spells for short duration. Useful for making a run out of trouble!
Spell 3: Devotion Aura - Gives a some armor to nearby friendly units. Useful around low armored Heroes and Units!
Spell 4: Resurrection - Revives slain friendly warriors to help in the battlefield. The paladin does not have any control upon the revived unit!
Spell 5: Holy Fire - The paladin burns the ground around him with holy powers, damaging nearby enemy units over time. Damage works ONLY if the units stay in the fire!
Note: The hero is a slow walking unit! He may not very good in chasing cowardly enemies, but hes shield gives him some opportunity to retreat.
Short tips for the hero and hes abilities:
1: When rushing in big battles, try to get around other heroes and use holy fire to get its best damage for the shortest mana use.
2: Use your holy light carefully! It could indeed save lives, but it could make the last killing blow on some running away undead hero!
3: Try to not waste your shield randomly. Use it in special moments when being swarmed, or you are going very low on health and need to retreat etc.
4: Try to use your resurrection with atleast the amount of corpses around you, as stated in your spell tooltip. This way you wont waste mana just for 1 unit, when you could revive like 2 or 3 or even more!
5: Try to stay with a group of low armored heroes. Intellectual heroes, usually have a lack of armor.

Spell 1: Blizzard - Damages enemies in area of effect. This spell must be channeled, else canceled!
Spell 2: Water Elemental - Calls upon a Water Elemental for help. You have control over it!
Spell 3: Brilliance Aura - Gives a some mana regeneration to nearby friendly units. Pretty useful aura for any hero!
Spell 4: Teleport - Teleports the Archmage to friendly unit or building.
Spell 5: Ice Block - Creates a wall of ice around the Archmage, reducing any damage taken by 90%. The archmage can only cast spells for the duration!
Note: This Hero is a fast walking unit, he may chase units and run away with not much of problem. This Hero starts with low health capacity!
1: Use your Blizzard spell, when you are in big or epic battles.
2: Your class is a low health one! Make sure to stay out of any dps contact. If there is no one to help around, then use your Water Element spell to call for a tank help.
3: Use your Ice Block if you get in a trouble, by being surrounded etc. The enemies usually will ignore you for a while.
4: You are Archmage! Use your Teleport to move get into battle as fast as possible, or just to get away faster.
5: Your Briliance aura helps nearby heroes to regenerate their mana faster! You would be more useful around low mana capacity classes.

Spell 1: Storm Bolt - Damages and stuns a target unit. A very powerful ability!
Spell 2: Thunder Clap - Slams the ground, damaging nearby enemies and slowing their attack speed.
Spell 3: Bash(Passive) - Gives a chance to bash an enemy unit and deal extra damage.
Spell 4: Avatar - The hero gets extra health capacity, damage bonus, armor bonus and is rendered immune to all spells. Disables Wound Regeneration for the duration!
Spell 5: Wound Regeneration(Passive) - There is a 10% chance when being attacked that the hero will regenerate some health
Note: This Hero is a slow waking unit! This hero is considered to be the best tank class!
1: When rushing in big or epic battles, try to get around other heroes and use thunder clap to get its best damage for the shortest mana use.
2: Try to not waste your Storm Bolt randomly. Use it on nearly dead heroes who try to escape the battle.
3: Your Wound Regeneration makes you survive for longer! Try to not be a coward and take more of the hits to save the caster dps classes.
4: Use your avatar wisely! At first it might seem that it makes you godlike, but for the duration your Wound Regeneration does NOT work! Its a good way to use it while retreating, it makes you immune to ANY spells including slowing.

Spell 1: Flame Strike - Damages enemies in area of effect. This spell is some how slow, but does a great deal of damage.
Spell 2: Banish - Banished targets cannot attack and move slowly, but might cast spells. Banished targets take extra spell damage!
Spell 3: Siphon Mana - Drains mana over time from target unit, giving it to the caster.
Spell 4: Phoenix - Conjures a powerful bird made of flames to help the caster. You have control over it!
Spell 5: Fire Shield - Has a chance to stun melee attackers!
Note: This Hero is an average walking unit, it could chase units and run away.
1: Use your Flame Strike spell, when you are in big or epic battles.
2: Use your Banish to disable enemies for a little duration or just to make them take more damage from spells.
3: Use your Banish to slow running or chasing enemies.
4: When your Phoenix is nearly dead, try to get it away from danger to re-hatch from the egg again. This way you dont need to recast the spell and waste your mana.
5: Sending your Phoenix to siege cities might be a very bad idea. Cities reduce magic and piercing damage greatly, leading to most probably fail with this plan.

Attachments

• (18)BG-Stromguarde(old).w3x
    237.3 KB · Views: 115
  • (18)BG-Stromguarde (new).w3x
    407.9 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Level 6
Map is finally updated!

Fixed over 90% of the weird "crashes", which throws you out of the game with out saying even "send the error to windowz".

Reduced all auras' range by 33%.

3 new heroes has arrived to join the battle!
- Assassin
- Tree of Life
- Sorceress
There are now total of 30 types of heroes to choose from!

Battles now should be even more deadly with the new 5th ability added to each hero!

Thats all for now ... I hope I see this map tested on multiplayer, so I can get even more understanding on how to continue it.

Last edited:
Level 6
URGENT RE-UPLOADING!
While trying the new heroes and testing em of how it feels to be em, Ive discovered 2 flawish spells in the sorceress ... -.-
Sorry for the problem to those who downloaded the flawed hero map in the past 15 hours, its fixed now. Seems yesterday when I was tired and rushy to go to bed affected it.
Gonna slow the project for now and give it a time to be tried by you while its still stable.

Level 6
Map is updated!
While working on this version, I had some different visions and ideas on how this map could be. The idea was to make each faction a race instead. I have concluded a demo of humans vs orcs.

Changes:
- In the previous version every player had the same rights. From now on, the player-controlled heroes has the main priority to revive first whenever possible. This way players will avoid the annoying waiting for their turn.
- There are now different building types, but only the barracks and altars are acting special. The rest buildings are like usual. The barracks spawns army to support the war further. The altars have double resource production for faster hero revival.
- The war used to be as Stormwind(human) vs Lordaeron(human). In this version it is Lordaeron(human) vs The horde(orcs).
- Orcs have their own buildings! Whenever one side occupies the enemy building, the building is converted to the owner's culture!
- Extended the hero choose time from 45 to 60 seconds!
- Discovered and fixed/updated lot of tooltip mistakes. I forgot to add the 5th ability in the tooltips for the old heroes.
- Discovered and fixed some spell button bindings!
- The game used to stick with the hard-core way of "discover things blindly". Players are now given vision of their allies!
- A special sound is set for warning the player whenever there is attacked base. No longer the annoying speech voices!
- A separate sounds have been added for both the humans and orcs. Whenever each faction occupies a town, you will hear a special sound warning you about it.
- AI behavior was changed a bit. They are a little more "brave" now.
- Rebalanced some heroes.
- Fixed the Keeper of the Grove's Force of Nature spell. It was ugly and not making the effects it used to have originally.
- XP gain is now set to 250% of normal for hero kills!
Thats all for now so far!

Things to definitely expect in the next update:
- basic items to be added in the next update.
- New heroes will arrive to take a part in the epic battle!
- AI will have their own separate cash, to support fair play in item buying.

Originally, I was planning to release the items in this update, and make the AI to cheat! The AI would have recieved FREE item every random time or so. I thought that could annoy the players, specially the beginners!

Things that are not guaranteed to be ready for the next update:
- More tactical AI! Thats right, AI might go to the next level! I could try to make the AI to consider the situation if its actually WORTH staying to fight the battle he faces. In the current version, the AI is rushing into ANY battle, and then is trying to retreat if he gets wounded badly.
- Random race factions. After all, the races have NOTHING special. Its just an idea for RP feel. It takes long time to adjust all settings for each building, and triggering more then 2 races could prove kinda annoying job.
- "Limited hero choice on race" mode. This mode was the idea that I was talking about earlier. It was to limit your hero choices to the race of your faction. Faction choice could be voted by all players at the beginning of the game.

I really had a head edge with this update! While fixing old crashes, and making new triggers - new crashes appeared! Ive tried so far to fix what I could.

Comments are welcome!

Last edited:
Level 6
The project got to state in which I cant do anything to fix it anymore... I will not work on it on the wc3 engine any longer.

Feel free to take over it, if you want. I concluded both the newest version, and the oldest one which was in its first testing states and is completely stable. I dont care if you will sell it, or change it in whatever way.

Status
Not open for further replies.