• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

AVG Antivirus breaks Warcraft!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
Hey all,

Just thought i would bring it to your attention that AVG virus scanner has picked up a fake virus in Warcraft.

If you have AVG and pick up a Trojan Horse Generic 16 then it is a fake virus intended to delete all working Warcraft exe's from your computer.

It even deletes your new installed Warcraft files. It is an error.

As the manager of avg states http://forums.avg.com/us-en/avg-free-forum?sec=thread&act=show&id=53109&page=2&type=0

30.12.2009 08:01
Re: False Positive?

0 Average rating 0 Average rating 0
Reply with Quote | Quick Reply | Top

ondraploteny

Manager

Hi,

this false will be fixed in next virus database update.

Thanks
***************AVG Team

So just to bring it to your attention it is not harmful and do not delete your versions of Warcraft like I did.

Hope this helps,
Lag_reviews

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 22
I used to work for AVG :)

This is the free version? I had a similar problem with the paid version, but it turnt out i had a virus elsewhere months ago that infected all exes and now after a format when i scan it doesn't detect any viruses. So I wouldn't say it detects war3.exe as a virus necessarily. The free version does false detection to many programs, though.

Level 8
Wow. That never happened to me. And then I read this thread and after 10 minutes it did happen. Good thing I read this. Thanks !

EDIT: I thought Move to vault marks the file as safe... damn didn't read...

EDIT 2: Oh great... can't find my cd -.-'
Is there a way to remove stuff from the vault?

EDIT 3:Remembered where it is

Level 7
Never fear just wait for the next avg virus database update to be released and hopefully that will fix this problem and restore your warcraft.

Although until the next avg virus database update do not try installing warcraft even with the cd as the virus will still pick it up.

Also moving the generic trojan 16 virus to the avg virus vault does not stop the virus as I have found out.

Hope this helped,
Lag_reviews!

Level 7
Not to fear a fix is here!

AVG have recently updated there program and have removed the fake warcraft 3 virus (Trojan generic 16) from coming up when you scan warcraft.

You are now free to play warcraft and or re-install it safely.

All you have to do is right click you avg and hit update, install the update and BOOM warcraft works again.

Hope AVG does not stuff up again,
Lag_reviews!

PS: Hope your warcraft works now if this happened to you.

Level 27
AVG have recently updated there program and have removed the fake warcraft 3 virus (Trojan generic 16) from coming up when you scan warcraft.

You are now free to play warcraft and or re-install it safely.

All you have to do is right click you avg and hit update, install the update and BOOM warcraft works again.

Hope AVG does not stuff up again,
Lag_reviews!

PS: Hope your warcraft works now if this happened to you.

AVG already screwed up once, exiting to desktop every 30 minutes... Good thing I have 9.0, not 8.5... but still, looks like guys from AVG need to be more careful... next time they might accidentally send the fromat c: command instead of database update...

Level 3
Hrm, I've had something similar with a different anti-virus. When it deleted an important file in Warcraft, I simply reinstalled Warcraft III. And know what? It hasn't touched it since then.

Actually about exceptions, they never seem to work for me. Its become a huge pain that I placed the whole Warcraft 3 folder (including JNG) into an exception and yet AVG still goes in and moves JNG to the virus vault. Its not a terribly large problem, as restoring it from the vault fixes it, but it is a pain to restart JNG every time the scanner starts up.

Just tell AVG to ignore the file and it seems to work fine afterward with the warcraft3.exe (though it did screw up my RocketDock shortcut)

Originally Posted by tleno View Post
Oh my God, leaks! I really should get rid of AVG... what alternative free Anti-Virus do you recommend?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debode
Just use Avira or Avast! - they have proven themselves better than AVG in any way.

Nominee for the most pointless post of the year!

(Second nominee is this post right now, just to save you the trouble of labeling it as so)

Level 27
Nominee for the most pointless post of the year!

(Second nominee is this post right now, just to save you the trouble of labeling it as so)

Hey, Dan is awesome enough, give nomination to someone else... and he actually meant to say that they already said few good antiviruses and I asked altrough there alerady was an answer... but I was not sure if those are free...

Level 4
Themida

I have read about the fake virus AVG is targeted but I have another virus attaching itself to wc3. Its called Themida. It prevented me from playing wc3 which I solved.

I'm wondering if this Themida virus is related to the Trojan Horse.

NOTE: I also had AVG pick up the trojan GENRIC16.YLU

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

I've had AVG & WC3 on this comp for over 2 yrs, it's never don that.

Level 7
They have fixed it.

Yeah I was using AVG 9.0 (FREE) when I got the generic trojan 16 in my warcraft.

But if you now update your AVG (FREE) the virus was given out with AVG 8.5 aswell cuz I have two comps with two different versions of AVG and both gave out the Trojan Generic 16 which deleted the game play file and your exe's.

But not to worry just update your AVG(FREE) and the virus will hopefully be gone for now until AVG (FREE) stuffs up again.

I have been using AVG(FREE) ever since I can remember and this is the first bad thing that has happened with it, other than the warcraft glitch, I think AVG is the best free anti-virus around and that you should still use it because its free and does the job.

So update your AVG(FREE) and hope that they do not stuff up again,
Lag_Reviews

Level 9
from what i know, avg detects virus by:
-matching their script codes and those in their database. if there was anything (even a single letter) different, it would be counted as a virus
-scanning the computer for those viruses that have been marked as 'virus'. they do that by checking scipts again but this time they check the specific virus code (for eg if thrs a 333 which stands for a certain virus in a exe file, it will give u a large warning and move it to vault).

Level 27
Yeah I was using AVG 9.0 (FREE) when I got the generic trojan 16 in my warcraft.

But if you now update your AVG (FREE) the virus was given out with AVG 8.5 aswell cuz I have two comps with two different versions of AVG and both gave out the Trojan Generic 16 which deleted the game play file and your exe's.

But not to worry just update your AVG(FREE) and the virus will hopefully be gone for now until AVG (FREE) stuffs up again.

I have been using AVG(FREE) ever since I can remember and this is the first bad thing that has happened with it, other than the warcraft glitch, I think AVG is the best free anti-virus around and that you should still use it because its free and does the job.

So update your AVG(FREE) and hope that they do not stuff up again,
Lag_Reviews

Before it there was a glitch that when you upgrade 8.5 to 9.0 (Upgrade, not uninstal and instal new version), and AVG exited with all programms to desktop - it was really annoying! They fixed it only after few weeks... Also AVG can't find all Viruses...

Level 9
Bleh. I got that too when it just appeared on my screen when playing Warcraft III. Just got it upgraded to version 9.0 in AVG.

Nothing much done, just a fake alert.

Level 23
I havent had any problems, since they apparantly fixed it sooner than I noticed. Last time I scanned my pc was yesterday, and I guess that was already fixed back then.

As it comes to the leaks TDB speaks about, Ive no idea what that could be. AVG never goes up in memory usage on my pc... what?

AVG free is not a bad antivirus program. All of them has flaws or limits, in one way or another. Ive never had any problem with AVG, except complaining about JNGP, as with my concern was nothing, but I deleted the files anyway since they are not needed at all for basic usage (pipe.dll, w3jdebug.exe, rtcexehack.exe those are)

Level 23
hmmm, JNG fails to test the map when those files are removed for me

That is bceause since vesrion 1.5d, JNGP was having additional support for rtc, which uses the rtcexehack file upon testing the map. What I did was to alter the wehack.lua so that it doesnt use rtc at all - so yeah, my bad there.

Pipe and w3jdebbug is freely to remove I think. Pipe is used when you create your own natives afaik, and w3jdebug if you enable the debug mode in jngp.

Level 7
Anoth pin?

Hmmm another pin to the coffin for AVG - in my opinion.

Yes AVG free did stuff up, but they were pretty quick to fix it once they had been notified about the situation, infact they fixed it the same day it happened.

Which was good and now Warcraft works and AVG can continue to stop all the virus out there - AVG free picked up and removed a virus for me that a paid virus/firewall program could not.

So, in my opinion this is just a minor error on AVG's part and hopefully will not happen again.

AVG is one of the best free virus scanners out there and I would recommend it to you if you needed a free virus protector,
Lag_reviews!

Level 35
AVG is one of the best free virus scanners out there and I would recommend it to you if you needed a free virus protector,
Lag_reviews!

Actually the best recommendation would be Avast! - sure AVG is faster (for some, for odd reasons - so if avast! is slow on you get AVG). But avast! is better for a range of stuff....

But agree that AVG is one of the best free ones.

Level 18
Sorry for bumping this thread, but is it safe to use Warcraft now when using AVG?
It's the Anti-virus I'm currently using, but I'm no expert on those programs.
Couldn't make that up out of this thread. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.