• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Sports Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Well, whed everyone makes sports maps, they are usually based off of created games.
The problem with that, is that those games have too many rules so people in REAL life don't get hurt.
In WARCRAFT, people can hit each other with giant hammers, and even die!

SO Im tryin to think of a fun 2 or 4 player sport. There are a few things I already got set down....

It either has to have 4 teams playing AT SME TIME. OR 2 teams of 2 player playing at SAME TIME.

It should probably have a ball (I want to use a lightning one for uberness)

It should probably have a goal.

Players should be able to attack/block, but if you kill another player, the dead one takes a LONGER penalty, while the killer takes a SHORTER penalty.
(Or just no penalty at all, both revive in 3 seconds.)

It should have different positions.

I would prefer if it was not llike baseball, where you switch between roles of batting and fielding.

And the rests is yours! Be descriptive! Tell me little details like...
What kinda penalties are there?
How many units does each team have?
Hom many teams are there? (Remember 1v1v1v1 or 2v2)
How do you win?
Can you lose (Is it a survival game?)
What are some units positions?

Love to see your ideas!

Level 15
Mybe make smth like 'capture-a-flag', the one who gets a lightning ball must run with it to his base. the re will be magnetic pillars on the field, that will eaither slow down/speed up the ball carrier. however, ball drains hp (or maybe mana) so it can be carried only for a short time and must be passed to your partner (its a 2v2 game). he ball itself moves slow enough, so it's possible to catch the ball in flight.
player abilities include a number of knockbacks, that can be used to knock the enmy player near slowing pillar or away from speed pillar.

if you kill a player, you get "Static Field" debuff for like 3 minutes (same time as resurrecting the other player takes) which prevents you from capturing the ball

when a team brings the ball to her base it gets a point. game is time-based, who gets more points after like 30 mins wins.

zone near bases must be laid with traps and slowing pillars to make things more interesting

spawning powerups may make the things more interesting aswell

that's it for now

Level 4
How about just a running contest, with traps, powerups, along the way, and you have to get to the weapon, which will allow you to attack the other players. you could also have a distant caster or a bomber or something to be able to slow the others down. Also the course would be a maze or something. And the Grand Trophy for the win? A necklace made form the heads of your competitors >:)

Level 12
Thank you both.
I have made a (minor, noobish, and unreleased) runnig contest before, but you're idea was ok.
Trillium had a nice idea. A VERY nice one indeed (but it's Trillium, so it can't be bad!)

What I was more intending, was that you can't physically GRAB the ball, but rather knock it around. I do like the idea with the penalty, so the kiler can't attack the ball, but if he can't attack the ball, what other role should he fufill during his absence? Should he block, or do some other job I haven't thought of?
What should the arena be shaped like?

Level 15
penalted player should knockback other players, get in their way, or just stand aside and chew popcorn

i imagine the arena shaped as an oval

maybe make more accent on player abilites, like knockback, stronger kick (to the ball) or smth. the abilities will use mana (which will replenish slowly). full mana may be used for some kind of 'limit break' ability - instant kill, magnetic pull (pulls the ball to the player), great speed boost, invulnerability for a short time, major stun or smth.
some abilities may be acquired by picking power-ups and may or may not get removed after use

Level 12
Power ups were in my mind yes.
Random events like a two-way portal were in my mind.
I was gonna have strength determin how hard to hit the ball.
I always pictured the arena as square (because it is easer for for deflect system =D)
He should knock back the other guys with his move.
I was gonna add some werd twistsm like a short period when you hit the ball 2x distance, or like bumpers (like a pinball machine =D) that if you run at them, they send you far back.
They're is probably gonna be different classes. MAYBE a ranged one that just taps it like 5 feet, but timing that so it look real when the projectile hits it (for melle it goes just .8 after they attack it, so it doesn't slide before they hit it, but the distance between targets can vary with archers, so it will probably end up bad.
I like the gravity pillars. There should be like swiches the way they go (in our out).
How would you say if alll of a sudden, the field just flipped sides, excpt for the goal keepers (should I have those?) and the ball, just totally messing you up.

Thx! I'd rep you, but I did like 5 hours ago, and can't right now.

Level 15
i didn't intend goalkeepers - it's more like 'capture-the-flag' than soccer. with trapped bases >:)

another idea (from upcoming game Allods Online) - goblinball. same as soccer, but instead of ball there's a living goblin. your team must kick him into enemy team's gates and vice versa. goblin will try to run away, avoid kicks, etc. ofc goblin can die in the process, that should slow down his movement (after being kicked, that is) greatly. but perhaps that's too cruel =)

Level 12
Hehehe. That one made me laugh.
I think i'm gonna sorrta slide away form the capture the flag idea, and go more towards soccer kinda.
Anti 'puppy-guarding' might be applied, like you can't stand in the region in front of the goal for 15 seconds, or you die.
It would be cool if the ball ran away, but that might Really screw up the wall deflection system.
How you know so much about every video game blows my mind. =D
I just need a few standards on my game now, like postions. Everyone should have a different job, because everyone chasing the ball, adn beating the shit out of it, will get kinda old. Only certain guys should chase it and such.
Here's what I was thinking for some...
A more agile unit who runs upfield, and can hit the ball a fair distance. His attacks are very weak.

A super strong slow unit, who mainly stays backfield. His job is to hit hte ball to the other side, when it gets too close to the goal. His attacks are strong, but the angle on which he hits them is very indirect to up to 45 degrees.

A large unit, who job is to place him self in the path of the ball or players. hHis attack speed is VERY slow, but devastating. He might be the only one who is allowed to Knockback players, but that is pending (Opinions?) He also might have a war stomp move, that knockbacks people (even his own players maybe. Opinions again?) This clears out hte area, and makes it so that they all aren't clustering the ball.

One or two more UNIQUE postions may be nice. (Trillium seems to steal all the glory for himself...)

Level 15
Trillium seems to steal all the glory for himself...

Dreadlord said:
And when I overthrow this fool... Oh, hello, didn't know you were there...

=D

two unique positions?
Barrier-Caster - veeery fragile player. dies if you blow on him. or click. typical nerd pushed into the pitch. has an ability to create small forcewalls, which don't stop the ball, but do stop players. (i suppose additional barriers for the ball would make your physics engine more complicated. if not, then certain berriers may affect the ball too)

Shortie - fast, agile, fragile. has an ability to actually 'grab' the ball and carry it a short distance. after that he needs some rest.

Chaotic - another fragile nerd. this one casts absolutely random AoE spells. cloud, flamestrike, mass slow, mass haste, mass heal, 'stone of recall', etc. adds an element of insanity to the game =D

Healer - simple as that. restores energy and hp to allies. useless nerd.

Team Captain - gives buffs. very slow (aka lazy) himself. may have some useful auras, so it can be tactical to put him in some player's path

Level 12
I like the captain and the barrier caster.
The barrier caster is probably one or the more easy ways to block units, seeing s being a big fattie, you can still be walked around.
I don't know about a healer. He takes away from a more barbarian 'no rules' arena.
Chaotic seems uncontrollable, so he could easily be replaced by a random event generator.
Shortie seems ok, but if he can run it into the goal, that kills the point.
I MAY be able to make it os the forcewalls delflect the ball too, seeing as the ball is preplaced, I'll use a simple unit comes in range event, and a forcewall condition. There may only be a horizontal and vertical one though.
Likey Likey Lots!

Level 15
one moar:
Wrestler - doesn't kick ball, even if comes near. kicks players. high damage. offensive abilities. for aggresive teams only.

Level 12
I like him. He really justs kills people.
What if the wrestler receives no killing penalty. That would make him useful.
I was thinking what if there was a guy who could ensare people, but I don't know if that would replace the forcewall guy.
I think I'm almost ready to begin this project. Thanks, And I will still read anymore opinions any of you have.

Level 15
no killing penalty? if killing penalty is 'inability to kick the ball' then he has that penalty permanently. so, he can kill ppl with no remorse or caution =D

Level 12
OH!
I just made myself look like a dumbass!
Well, I was thinking a bit more would be added on to the penalty, especially with building ones, like if you klill 10 people, or kill someone during your penalty, it might get more strict. (To avoid all out war.)
XD Thank You (for making me look stupid!) I'm not mad at you, jus mad at myself...

Level 4
Try make a football game. And you should be able to get a knife, that you can use to slice in the other players, then your trying to take the ball from the enemy unit. Maybe a hammer to daze them or something, loads of ubersplazh stuff. And then the ball hits the goal, then the ball hits 1 after 1 of the loosers in the face, so they gets hurt and smashed down. Like win or die. That could be nice. Dont give them uber abilities, just like smash or hit or kick in the nuts. A nice and wild football game. Maybe you could get some ideas from this old non-wild football game.

Level 12
Your 'bunny ears' as my old teacher called them, are pointing to nothing =D
Let's just say this message was a :BUMP:
Thanks everyone! I will continue to take ideas, as long as they exist, but morely base them off of what I already have, and not a completely new idea.
I mostyl just need ones for like collideable objects, or like random events (like 2 way portal the teleports ball and player.) or maybe any more positions, but I think Trillium got enough.
This thread is mostly a conversation with Trillium, that would have been easier in hive chat =D, but I'd like some second opinions.

Level 4
Then try to make a sport where your running from a zombie,
or "who can burn the house down fastest?". Maybe some balls rolling around in an area, and you have to run from them, each time someone dies, the area change to something like water and sharks or something. Just tell me if it was'nt in any use, i can get some more ideas for you. If you want ofc. :thumbs_up:

Level 12
I'm pretty confident with what I have now, but some of those ideas like, "who can burn down the house the fastest" were funny, and if you added power-ups etc, and multiple levels, so that those who did bad in beginning and spent stats wisely, may kick arse in the end, could actually be fun and cool.
I'm gonna give you rep just for that.

Level 12
oh sorry!
Umm ok!

There are 2 teams of 2 players. Each controls a certain amount of units, that they MAY pick and choose.
You hit the ball using your weapons, and it slides. If it gets into the goal, you score!
There are all sorts of random events, and such.
So it's like soccer, with and EXTREME Wc3 twist....

Good enough? Read up on previous posts to make out unit postions.

Level 4
The Bloody Square - A hero for each player. It's all versus all, no spells, no abilities. If someone dies, then there will grow up a powerfull hostile tree, it will attack a singe target. It will attack a random hero. It will change target every 10 seconds. It kills the hero in 1 hit. The heroes got 50% chance to avoid the tree, if they avoid an attack, they'll loose threat, and the tree will target another hero.
After a 60 seconds, the tree will be killed. And rest of the players will continue the fight. While the tree is up, the heroes wont be able to attack anyone until next fight. The last standing hero will be the winner, make a cinematic then a player win. Then the cinematic is done, every heroes will be revived, and a new round will begin. They will be able to vote at the start of the map, how many rounds they want. 3/5/8 Or the red player will just choose for them. (Your decition). The Bloody Square, there you go!

Level 4
Hah ^^ no problem. I wish you good luck with the map, im hoping its going to be a fun and nice map. :thumbs_up:

Level 12
It's gong to be a rather easy one to make. Anything that takes me more time, would be adding lots more random events. I already made 4 postions for the HUMAN and UNDEAD. Those are the two races. I don't know if I'm gonna make anymore positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.