• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Need a little help with ability upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I am working on a Single-Player RPG campaign where you control 3 heroes who each have multiple abilities. I am using a system for hiding most of the command buttons that I found here so I can have more abilities.

Originally I had 4 or 5 abilities per hero with 5-10 levels a piece, but I am thinking it would be more fun to have the abilities change and upgrade (more than just damage or percent chance to... whatever) as you gain levels.

The first hero has blade-based abilities and I have a few ideas worked out already but I just need a few suggestions from the wonderful community here.

199238-albums6032-picture106509.png
Level 1: Slash in front of the hero dealing damage calculated by weapon damage
Level 2: Level 1 plus a chance to throw spinning blades outward from the hero
Level 3: Levels 1 and 2 but the slash goes all the way around Lithion instead of just in front of him

199238-albums6032-picture70077.png
Level 1: Razor bounces up to 3 times to 3 different targets
Level 2: Level 1 but adds one more bounce and causes enemies to develop deep wounds debuff
Level 3: Levels 1 and 2 but when the razor reaches its last target it shatters dealing AOE damage

199238-albums6032-picture106508.png
Level 1: Charges at a target dealing damage to it
Level 2: Level 1 plus deals damage to other units it encounters along the way
Level 3: Levels 1 and 2 plus deals extra damage based on the distance traveled

Mortal Fervor (No Picture yet)
Level 1: Attacks a single unit repeatedly, if the unit dies he regains energy spent
Level 2: ??
Level 3: ??

199238-albums6032-picture87902.png
Level 1: Goes into a frenzy and slashes all around him dealing damage over time to nearby enemies
Level 2: Level 1 plus draws enemies into the AOE ??
Level 3: ??

199238-albums6032-picture106510.png
Level 1: Healing effect that bounces to nearby allies
Level 3: Level 1 plus a chance to burn enemies near the initial target
Level 5: Levels 1 and 3 plus a chance to fully heal the initial targets life and energy (mana)

199238-albums6032-picture106511.png
Level 1: Creates a storm nova dealing damage to enemies inside the nova
Level 3: Level 1 plus a chance for the lightning to arc outward dealing damage to enemies outside the nova
Level 5: Levels 1 and 3 plus lightning arcs pull enemies into the nova

199238-albums6032-picture106512.png
Level 1: Calls a spire of flame from the sky dealing damage and causing a burning debuff on enemies
Level 3: Level 1 but the meteor shatters and sends shards flying outward damaging and slowing nearby enemies
Level 5: Levels 1 and 3 plus calls additional smaller meteors down around the first one

I'm mostly looking for additional elemental abilities for him. Frost, Wind, Earth, Poison/Nature, etc

Thanks for any suggestions about upgrades you may have. I would also be happy to hear any other abilities you can think of since I want 8 per hero eventually. Also feel free to make suggestions for any improvements to what I already have.

Last edited:
Level 28
Mortal Fervor:
Level 2 heals a low percentage of health per kill.
Level 3 increases damage by a low percentage per kill (temporary).

Furious Blades
Level 3 knocks back all enemies when the spell ends, leaving them slowed.

Also, I think it might be better to make the spells have 5 levels instead of three.

For example, if you have 5 levels the first two levels only increase damage, then levels 3 and 4 increase damage for both effects, and level 5 gives all three effects at maximum damage.

It depends on the level cap and how fast it's reached, of course, but there's a risk of too powerful an ability too early breaking the game.

Level 14
^Those are some fantastic ideas. Thank you very much.

I also like the idea of making sure things don't get too powerful too quickly maybe 5 levels is the way to go where I upgrade the effects every other level.

Last edited:
Level 28
Earthsire

Elemental Sprites: Summons elemental sprites (Wisps) to cast a spell on an enemy/ally before disappearing, randomly chosen out of 13 colors. More are summoned per cast with every level. If no targets are available, the sprite Detonates on the closest enemy instead.

Red: Fire, casts Firebolt.
Blue: Water, casts Crushing Wave.
Teal: Ice, casts Frost Nova.
Purple: Poison, casts Shadow Strike.
Yellow: Light, casts Holy Light.
Orange: Magma, casts Volcano.
Pink: Love, casts Charm.
Gray: Indifference, casts Cloud.
Light Gray: Wind, casts Cyclone.
Light Pink: Life, casts Healing Ward.
Dark Green: Nature, casts Entangling Roots.
Brown: Earth, casts Throw Boulder.
Black: Death, casts Death Coil.

Level 14
^That's very clever. I like the fact that it would be randomized each cast. You never know if it will be an offensive spell or a defensive spell.

Thanks! Keep the ideas coming

Level 28
Hammerhelm

Battle Cry:
Level 3: Add Howl of Terror to enemies
Level 5: Adds a short stun to enemies

Slam:
Level 3: Adds knockback, knockback is stronger the closer the enemy was to the caster.
Level 5: Adds a chance to stun.

Mighty Hammer:
Level 3: Adds knockback, option to turn three charges into a Lightning Shield on casting.
Level 5: Adds stun proportional to the amount of charges.

Last Stand:
Level 3: Adds armor and spell resistance for every kill while the spell lasts.
Level 5: Mighty Hammer charges are added for every kill while the spell lasts.

Level 14
Nice. I especially like the idea of other abilities benefiting like Mighty Hammer gaining a charge for every kill while the spell is active.

I'm really liking your ideas!

Status
Not open for further replies.