• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Lords of Europe] Unique Unit Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
Hi everyone !
I'm currently working on Lords of Europe and I wanted to rework unique units (each state has a different unique unit).
It can be good if the unit you propose has an historical background...

So Lords of Europe is a strategy map based on the middle ages. Players can evolve until Powder Age (so the beginning of renaissance era). The aim is to take the control of Europe... Link to the map

State - Final Unit / Unit / Unit that need to be changed (Final means I wont change them, italic means you can suggest units, and green means I need you to find new unique !).

France - Chilvarous Knight

England - Longbowman

Finland - Knight

Sweden - Frigate

Persia - War Elephant

Turkey - Janissary

Egypt - Beldouin Mounted Archer

Ukraine - Warrior

Hungary - Infantry

Spain - Conquistador

Italy - Palvise Crossbowman

Beni Ghaniya - Infantry

Byzantine Empire - Cataphract

Morocco - Knight

Duchy of Moskva - Cossak

Duchy of Kiev - Infantry

Poland Lithuania - Teutonic Knight

Holy Roman Empire - Huskarl

Thanks to all the guys who will answer :)

EDIT: I think I'm going to add more differences between countries. Like particularities depending on your kingdom.

I'll need ideas (I already took ideas from AoE II), I'll give a list of every things that can be improved from a civilization to another.

• Hit Points
• Hit Points Regeneration Rate
• Damages
• Armor
• Mvt Speed
• Attack Speed
• Income (Gold and/or Wood)
• Building Construction Time
• Starting Units
• Starting Resources
• Training Time Builder (I plane to increase time of training for both building unit, also there wont be any peasant at start)
• City Capture Speed
• Max Level for a Research
• Hero XP Rate

Country (Total Bonus Value)
• Stats (Stats Cost) (from 1 to 5, this is to balance stats of each country, tell me if you think values I chose are unbalanced)

England (13)
• All Ships: +200hp (4), +5 Damages (3)
• Bowmen: +2 Damages (3), +50 Range (3)

France (8)
• Cavalry: +200 sight range (I planed to decrease sight range of every units) (2), +30hp (3), +3 Damages (3)

Sweden (13)
• Ships: +6 Damages (3), +150hp (3)
• Infantry: +2/3/4/5 Damages (Feudal Age/ Castle Age...) (5)
• Shipyards: Lower Cost -100/50 (2)

Finland (13)
• Ships: +8 Damages (4), +200hp (3)
• Infantry: +1/2/3/4 Damages (Feudal Age/ Castle Age...) (4)

Byzantine Empire (6)
• Skirmisher/Pikemen: +3 Damages (3)
• Priest: Healing Bonus +4hp (3)

Greece (7)
• Pikemen: +3 Damages (2), +2 Armor (2)

Almoheads (Morocco) (6)
• All Ships: +70 Mvt Speed (2)
• Cavalry: +4 Damages (4)

Beni Ghaniya (Tunisia) (4)
• Warships: +50 Mvt Speed (1), +3/5/7 Damages (Castle Age, Imperial Age, Powder Age) (3)

Egypt (5)
• Transport Ships: +100 Mvt Speed (1)
• Bowmen: +4 Damages (4)

Persia (9)
• Starting Resources: +300/200 (2)
• Improved Income (Wood): *1.1/1.15/1.2/1.25 (Feudal Age -> Powder Age) (4)
• Cavalry: +2 Damages (3)

Turkey (15)
• Improved Income (Gold): *1.1/1.15/1.2/1.25 (Feudal Age -> Powder Age) (5)
• Cavalry: +30 Mvt Speed (2), +2 Damages (3)
• Hand Canoneer: +3 Damages (2)
• Mortars: +8 Damages (3)

So as you can see there are still missing stats for Spain, Italy, Ukraine, Kiev, Moskva and Hungary. And some of the countries I already did need other improvements.

I need you to help me finding particularities and balancing already-made particularities.

Influence System
City and Influence

Each city has mana (0-25). It represents the control you have on it. The more mana it has the more control you have. Mana regeneration is 1 every 30'. The mana is set to 0 when you take it.

There are different state for cities depending on their mana:
• From 0 to 14: The city is taken, it needs 6 ip (Influence Point)
• From 14 to 24: The city is under control, it needs 4 ip
• 25: The city is annexed, it needs 2 ip

Current Influence
Influence will now depends on more factors:
Food (1 ip for each food used)
King (8 ip)
Tech Percent (2 ip for each percent)
Capital-City (10 ip) (Recall: In 4.0 you'll only have one capital at once)
Ally (your first ally will gives 8 ip, the second 4 ip) (Recall: In 4.0 the maximum number of ally is 2)
Buildings (1 ip every 4 buildings (exepted towns))

The Food represents the control of your territory by your armies. Your King is the roots of your kingdom. The tech percent symbolize the fact that the more a civilization is developed the more stable it will be. You capital-city is the core of your empire. An ally means that your kingdom is diplomatic, it helps people like the way you are governing. Your buildings improves the quality of the towns, grants work and stability for people of your kingdom.

Influence Needed
City Needs:
• Town State - Influence Point cost
• Taken - 6 ip
• Under Control - 4 ip
• Annexed - 2 ip

Cities lost depending on negative influence
(Recall: In 4.0 number of towns ownerchanging depends on how far you are negative in influence, not anymore on how many towns you have)
• Current Influence: Number of city lost (city state)
• From -1 to -5: One city (taken)
• From -6 to -10: Three cities (taken)
• From -11 to -15: Three cities (taken), One city (under control)
• From -16 to -20: Four cities (taken), One city (under control)
• From -21 to -25: Four cities (taken), Two cities (under control)
• 26 or below 26: Five cities (taken), Three cities (under control)

(Italic: What is already done)
• New Models & Icons (for Pikeman, Huskarl, Cataphract)
• Heavy Metal Armor now takes 50% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 60%).
• Light Metal Armor now takes 90% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 60%).
• Medium Metal Armor now takes 80% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 100%).
• Cavalry Armor now takes 90% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 60%).
• Cossaks' Armortype changed from Heavy Metal to Cavalry.
• French Unique Unit: Chilvarous Knight (name changed).
• German Unique Unit: Huskarl, an anti-archer infantry.
• Liban Union now become Persia.
• Persia Unique Unit: War Elephant, a tank.
• Added few towns near Persia (Amman, Mossoul)
• Turks Unique Unit: Janissary, a better hand canoneer.
• Poison Arrows: 3.5 damage/sec (instead of 2).
• More differences between north and south buildings (Blacksmith, Outpost, Frontier Fort, Scout Tower).
• Added a Research to increase the Gold/Lumber limit.
• English Longbowmen now requires Imperial Age to be trained.
• Castle Age now requires: Illumination, Defend, Equerry, Imprvd. Archery.
• Imperial Age now requires: Workshop, Military Tactics, War Horse Training, Enthusiasm.
• Powder Age now requires: Ballistics, Marksmanship, Heavy Armor, Siege Mastering.
• Builder is removed from starting units. Its training time is also increased to 20 (instead of 10).
• Training time of Military builder is also increased to 35 (instead of 10).
• Collision Size of every units reduced.
• All Siege Weapon will only be able to shoot on buildings.
• Added differences between Towns (Capital = 300 Gold/200 Wood income, large cities = 170 gold/90 Wood, medium cities = 140 gold/80 wood and small cities = 100 gold/ 50 wood).
• You now starts with one city.
• The limit to take a city is now 1/4 (instead of 500). Medium cities have 2600 hit points (limit = 750), large have 4000 (limit = 1000).
• Almoheads Unique Unit: Mameluk.
• Hero can be revived at Capital (so available to resurrect at Dark Age).
• Ages are no longer researched by upgrading Capital. It's now a research (so that you wont be able to build another capital).
• An Emergency Ability is added to the capital-building. Enabled when the capital has >30% hp. Which allows to summon guards.
• Unit cost redone.
• Heroes' Abilities reworked.
• Units' Abilities reworked.
• Added a Battering Ram to the Workshop.
• Influence System Reworked: Researches now provide 2 Influence (instead of 1). Number of towns which claim independence now depends on how far you are negative in influence. Other changes incoming.
• Each Nation has now bonuses.
• New Ally System: Now available: Ally, Submit (Divert Income, Share Control), Neutral (Dont attack at sight), Enemy.
• Ally Max per game: 2
• Added percentage of damages/blocking in Damages/Armors types infopannel.
• Added a "Run" ability to all heroes, avalaible at start (French did learn Run at Dark Age =D).

Last edited:
Level 4
what era is this set at? From what I read its like Medieval meets Renaissance...

The French are known for their Chivalrous Knights, they believed Chivalry defined the battlefield [ironically they lost many battles against Welsh longbowmen...].

Sweden would not have Frigates at this time, i would just suggest using Vikings, even though technically they were located all over Scandinavia.

You spelt Janissaries wrong...

Italy is known for their Palvise Crossbowmen, especially Genoa and Venice, high armored Crossbowmen with a shield on their back.

Spain is known for using disciplined foot soldiers and cavalry.

I am rather unaware of what the Islamic nation armies had, although i would use Bedouien [pardon the bad spelling] Cavalry Archers, able to fire at enemy units on the run.

You're forgetting the Crusaders.... -.-

Anyway i do not want to ramble on about this. I would suggest reading up on Medieval era armies for better understanding [I myself play Medieval Total War II xD and Age of Empires II].

Level 18
Ok, so first apologize for the lack of informations. Didn't noticed I forget to gives era, type of map. Just thought everyone knows the map XD

So Lords of Europe is a strategy map based on the middle ages. Players can evolve until Powder Age (so the beginning of renaissance era). The aim is to take the control of Europe... (Link to the map)

Miss-tipped Janissaries sorry :x

Italy unique unit will be crossbowman.

I didnt forget the crusaders, juste they are not "unique" units, every christian state can train them...

For Egypt maybe I'll use Bedouien Cavalry Archer.

And for french you propose to call their knights "French Chivalrous Knights" ?

I played AoE II too and I inspired for the unique, they propose "Axe Thrower" for French but it looks very ugly to me :x

Anyway +rep for help.

Level 12
one of the southern region arabic countries should have horse archer, which is able to shoot arrows while also moving, and this ability is also resistant against counter arrow shoots (low numbered group of horse archers can evade them nicely) and slow melee units in low numbers. This came to my mind from stronghold crusader.

Also you should think about adding battering ram (only damages buildings) too.

turkey has also spakh. (cavalry unit) another special unit along with janissaries.

and you should add musketeers to england/france instead of handgunners.

Level 12
You forgot Greece, Liban Union, and Almohads. As I said before, it would be nice to research about it. You would know more about not only ideas for unique units, but also about that age in general. It could give ideas for more things on the maps, more balancing even, and many other things. I will do that research myself and see what I can find. Though you should do that too. Also, you're first searching for the units properly, and only them you will put in those abilities I mentioned? Ok, it is a good plan.

And a suggestion: I dont know it would be a good thing or not, but maybe (if it is possible, I don't see if it is rather possible to do such trigger, since making lots of new armor would be pretty confusing) make religion units (Crusaders & Priests for Christians, and... forgot the name for Islamics) ASIDE from his already good fighting abilities (and superior to the footmans, though almost no one know that, because people usualy use mass knights, mass anti knights, mass gunpowder, and mass special units) like faith, you could add + 100% dmg (or less, but I think that's ok, because in that way, crusaders would be better than knights. And CRUSADERS are used on that war, not knights. Though there ARE Mounted Crusaders or something? And since there are not specific ranged crusaders that I know about, add more dmg to priests too so they could attack the muslims too as ranged units, aside from healing.)

And instead of using Kings, you could use well known heroes of those factions. If the king was a war hero, then yes, he can keep doing it. And again, just do research to find out those heroes. Anyway, since there are different heroes, there would also be different ideas for skills. And you could do like that: a really Altar of Heroes (like a Pub, a Tavern, the same way you get heroes on which the first hero is already chosen, but you can still summon more. Just like Heroes of Might and Magic. You choose one along with your faction, etc, and the 300 heroes you can have you hire in the tavern. Though since they're HEROES, they're rather expensive. [1k gold?]) I gotta go, soon I will come back and finish my thoughts.

Edit: I'm a genius. Great place to search: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lists_of_wars

Edit: I suggest researching wars between 1000 and 1800, 1900.

Edit: Maybe it is not such a good idea, it only gives historical facts... not facts about the WAR. The exact war. Maybe in Age of Empires? I'm out of ideas... I have the Second one, which includes all of Lords of Europe in general.

Edit: Thinking again, I'm reading about the Crusades right now. And they were not exactly separate warriors, but warriors that went to conquer Jerusalém. Which means Crusaders should be an UPGRADE, and not a unit... or maybe more units (special units with religion abilities. Mounted Crusader, Holy Archer, Crusader, Holy General) And there are good ideas for heroes in all crusades in general. So many wars to read... geez.

Edit: The 1st Crusade is the most important and most simbolic of all. And why you don't add special events? (Not like Plague, of course >_> I mean REALLY special events, maybe a influence to do the crusade or any of wars, or important things that happened in those years. Again, take a look at Rise of China) Again, add more abilities to the other units aside from the Cavalry, they're not used at all...

Edit: The Second crusade was a slaughter, a huge fail. Though it was the first time almost all of the countries in Europe fought at all.

Edit: Richard Lionheart @_@

edit: wow... huge fail... the 1st crusade was the only "successful" one. All the others were huge amounts of fails, and keep diminishing of power and importance... geez. Passing on another wars.

Last edited:
Level 5
If you ever add balkan states (greece, macedon, etc.) You should make a phalanx unit. They were the reallife versions of the 300 Spartans, effectively, but the swords they used were wrong, they should be straight but kinda leaf out a tiny bit, and they used pilums (or were those roman?) for the majority of fights. If you wanted to, you could make a weapon swap between spear and sword that changes the damage type they do..

Level 40
If you ever add balkan states (greece, macedon, etc.) You should make a phalanx unit. They were the reallife versions of the 300 Spartans, effectively, but the swords they used were wrong, they should be straight but kinda leaf out a tiny bit, and they used pilums (or were those roman?) for the majority of fights. If you wanted to, you could make a weapon swap between spear and sword that changes the damage type they do..
A phalanx is a group of infantry, not a type of infantry.

--

Perhaps reflect the fact that Janissary is not synonymous with Hand Cannoneer?

Level 18
one of the southern region arabic countries should have horse archer, which is able to shoot arrows while also moving, and this ability is also resistant against counter arrow shoots (low numbered group of horse archers can evade them nicely) and slow melee units in low numbers. This came to my mind from stronghold crusader.

Beldouin Mounter Archer -> Egypt Unique Unit

When you say "they must be able to shot while moving" do you think I should use the "Phoenix Fire" ability ?

Also you should think about adding battering ram (only damages buildings) too.

Noticed.

You forgot Greece, Liban Union, and Almohads

Greece has hoplite, Liban Union is removed for Persia who have War Elephants. Almoheads has a knight (Moorish Raider). (first post updated)

And a suggestion: I dont know it would be a good thing or not, but maybe (if it is possible, I don't see if it is rather possible to do such trigger, since [...] specific ranged crusaders that I know about, add more dmg to priests too so they could attack the muslims too as ranged units, aside from healing.)

Didn't get what you said, you want another type of armor for religion units ? I can't, I used all armors and damage type (or almost).

And instead of using Kings, you could use well known heroes of those factions. If the king was a war hero, then yes, he can keep doing it. And again, just do research to find out those heroes. Anyway, since there are [...] my thoughts.

The point was to play as the King of a country. Adding historical heroes... why not but I'll tell my point of view concerning history later.

Edit: Thinking again, I'm reading about the Crusades right now. And they were not exactly separate warriors, but warriors that went to conquer Jerusalém. Which means Crusaders should be an UPGRADE, and not a unit... or maybe more units (special units with religion abilities. Mounted Crusader, Holy Archer, Crusader, Holy General) And there are good ideas for heroes in all crusades in general. So many wars to read... geez.

Of course crusaders were just people like the others. They just crusades, so they were crusaders. This is illogical to be able to train crusader, but this is a game, this Warcraft, this is Lords of Europe.

Edit: The 1st Crusade is the most important and most simbolic of all. And why you don't add special events? (Not like Plague, of course >_> I mean REALLY special events, maybe a influence to do the crusade or any of wars, or important things that happened in those years. Again, take a look at Rise of China) Again, add more abilities to the other units aside from the Cavalry, they're not used at all...

Ok so my opinion concerning historical facts. If I wanted to make an 'historical' map I would have made pre-build kingdoms, with boarders like there were in middle-ages etc... No, here this a fresh start. I wanted the history and the great war to be written by the players themselves. I think it would be illogical and out of gameplay to force historical event (like crusades, invasion, famine and so on)

I already checked Rise of China. What you want me to look at ?

Concerning Phalanx I was thinking of creating an ability for greek hoplites:
'Phalanx' - Passive - Each time the unit takes damages, if there are more than x phalanx at 250 range, it takes half of damages.

But it can be really unbalanced -.-

Perhaps reflect the fact that Janissary is not synonymous with Hand Cannoneer?

Janissaries were an elite regiment of the Turkish Army. When Turks were destroying villages, they rapped all orphans and put them a military school. They were trained to become Janissaries (they were not only hand canoneers).

Thanks all. +rep sasuhkun.

For Poland I suggest you as unique Kapitan Dupa, who attacks enemies by raping them in the ass.

jk

Give them Winged Hussars instead, and Teutonic knights fit more some germanic people, like Holy Roman Empire. So Huskarl fits more some northern lands, like Sweden.

What is Beni Ghaniya?

About Janissaries, they were usually carrying new experimental weapons, thats why are usually depicted with gunpowder.

Level 12
More info:

http://gaming.wikia.com/wiki/Age_of_Empires_II_military_units

This may help on some ideas and all. For example, Hand Cannoneers have a slower attack and less rate attack. Of course, we should not base on it, but it have some good ideas to balance it a bit. Balancing enough so they could both be used (Archer and Hand Cannoneers) And I think I got your idea. The kings will be the heroes... themselfs, I mean. Independent of that, there still could be some other heroes very well known of each country. Joanna D'Arc, Richard Lionheart (could be the king), etc.

From 1352 until 1808 Finland was officially an integral part of the Swedish Realm, including first only the south-western lands inhabited by the Finns but expanding east as time went by.

o_O''

Well, at least we have an idea for Finnish special unit. A variation, maybe a second special unit of Sweeden would turn to be Finnish. Or swedish used them at that time, I don't know... I'm trying to find out about more units, abilities, or anything, but I can't find any good source. Though crusades gave some info about most arabic empires. Really, Camels, Mounted Archers, etc... all of that can be seen in Crusades. And in many French-English wars there can be seen the usage of Chilvarous Knights (technically), Longbowmen, and Red Coats. Though I still don't have historical resources for any other... if I could just create, Beny Ghanya would have... assasins. I don't know, they just remind me of assassins. With wind walk, where they could go after their ranks and assassinate the rangers, and Kings o_O and Finnish Survivors (cold climate). They have high hp, hide, high regen, some evasion, some block, and high speed attack (low attack of course) and they could be used for a trap. You should also something similar, but with a LOT less hp, loss let surviving skills, for everyone.They're mortal, but die quickly. The survivors are mortal AND survive longer. Propably the organic units with more hp.

Edit: Ah yes, I forgot two things. First, teutonic knights are from Holy Roman Empire, not Poland (but since they're near, it makes sense she could use them. Though...) Ah yes, another idea. All units have hide, so they can make a trap (except Knights. You can't hide a goddamn horse xD Unless you mount out of it.. which would make some lots of troublesome triggers and all. Not suggested, also a good balancing for Knights) and the "Assasins" or Trappers would have wind walk with REALLY slow movement speed (but they can move, and can be usable at day, AND the first hit have more dmg) which make them more efficient for traps. The Beny would have more movement speed and either could do what I said before, or this. And the break off dmg would be greater. Also, mongols (ukraine) have fought a war against kievan, but I didn't read more of it. I gotta go anyway.... I try to inform more of that later though. So I could find a good idea for Kievan infantry and Ukraine warriors later.

Last edited:
Level 12
Beldouin Mounter Archer -> Egypt Unique Unit

When you say "they must be able to shot while moving" do you think I should use the "Phoenix Fire" ability ?

may be, but it should be sucked when they stop moving. shooting two arrows, lol

Janissaries were an elite regiment of the Turkish Army. When Turks were destroying villages, they rapped all orphans and put them a military school. They were trained to become Janissaries (they were not only hand canoneers).

Thanks all. +rep sasuhkun.

yeah, they didn't only used rifles, they were elite warriors of ottoman for many years before rifles. they used swords and shields and many other various weapons too.

Level 18
@Luffy: I just have to change their targets. I set targets available to none so that attack is displayed with damages but the unit will never use it.

Level 12
Well, at least we have an idea for Finnish special unit. A variation, maybe a second special unit of Sweeden would turn to be Finnish. Or swedish used them at that time, I don't know... I'm trying to find out about more units, abilities, or anything, but I can't find any good source. Though crusades gave some info about most arabic empires. Really, Camels, Mounted Archers, etc... all of that can be seen in Crusades. And in many French-English wars there can be seen the usage of Chilvarous Knights (technically), Longbowmen, and Red Coats. Though I still don't have historical resources for any other... if I could just create, Beny Ghanya would have... assasins. I don't know, they just remind me of assassins. With wind walk, where they could go after their ranks and assassinate the rangers, and Kings o_O and Finnish Survivors (cold climate). They have high hp, hide, high regen, some evasion, some block, and high speed attack (low attack of course) and they could be used for a trap. You should also something similar, but with a LOT less hp, loss let surviving skills, for everyone.They're mortal, but die quickly. The survivors are mortal AND survive longer. Propably the organic units with more hp.

Edit: Ah yes, I forgot two things. First, teutonic knights are from Holy Roman Empire, not Poland (but since they're near, it makes sense she could use them. Though...) Ah yes, another idea. All units have hide, so they can make a trap (except Knights. You can't hide a goddamn horse xD Unless you mount out of it.. which would make some lots of troublesome triggers and all. Not suggested, also a good balancing for Knights) and the "Assasins" or Trappers would have wind walk with REALLY slow movement speed (but they can move, and can be usable at day, AND the first hit have more dmg) which make them more efficient for traps. The Beny would have more movement speed and either could do what I said before, or this. And the break off dmg would be greater. Also, mongols (ukraine) have fought a war against kievan, but I didn't read more of it. I gotta go anyway.... I try to inform more of that later though. So I could find a good idea for Kievan infantry and Ukraine warriors later.

Are you going to comment on these? D:

Level 18
The kings will be the heroes... themselfs, I mean. Independent of that, there still could be some other heroes very well known of each country. Joanna D'Arc, Richard Lionheart (could be the king), etc.

Maybe I'll add historical heroes, but it is not one of my priorities for now.

The idea you have for finish unique unit is already the unique unit of Ukraine. But you are true, they need an infantry. From AoE II -> the literal translation from french is "Mad of War" ?

Beni wont have assassin as unique unit, maybe I'll add an assassin available for every kingdoms.

French unique will be Chilvarous Knight.

There wont be hide for every unit. Imo it is strange for the gameplay to have whole armies ambushed. If you are tactical enough you just have to use the terrain to ambush enemies...

Concerning assassin read upside.

You said "beny would have slower movement speed etc..." you gave me an idea. I think I'm going to add more differences between countries. Like particularities depending on your kingdom.

I'll need ideas (I already took ideas from AoE II), I'll give a list of every things that can be improved from a civilization to another.

• Hit Points
• Hit Points Regeneration Rate
• Damages
• Armor
• Mvt Speed
• Attack Speed
• Income (Gold and/or Wood)
• Building Construction Time
• Starting Units
• Starting Resources
• Training Time Builder (I plane to increase time of training for both building unit, also there wont be any peasant at start)
• City Capture Speed
• Max Level for a Research
• Hero XP Rate

Country (Total Bonus Value)
• Stats (Stats Cost) (from 1 to 5, this is to balance stats of each country, tell me if you think values I chose are unbalanced)

England (13)
• All Ships: +200hp (4), +5 Damages (3)
• Bowmen: +2 Damages (3), +50 Range (3)

France (8)
• Cavalry: +200 sight range (I planed to decrease sight range of every units) (2), +30hp (3), +3 Damages (3)

Sweden (13)
• Ships: +6 Damages (3), +150hp (3)
• Infantry: +2/3/4/5 Damages (Feudal Age/ Castle Age...) (5)

Finland (13)
• Ships: +8 Damages (4), +200hp (3)
• Infantry: +1/2/3/4 Damages (Feudal Age/ Castle Age...) (4)

Byzantine Empire (6)
• Skirmisher/Pikemen: +3 Damages (3)

Greece (7)
• Pikemen: +3 Damages (2), +2 Armor (2)

Almoheads (Morocco) (6)
• All Ships: +70 Mvt Speed (2)
• Cavalry: +4 Damages (4)

Beni Ghaniya (Tunisia) (4)
• Warships: +50 Mvt Speed (1), +3/5/7 Damages (Castle Age, Imperial Age, Powder Age) (3)

Egypt (5)
• Transport Ships: +100 Mvt Speed (1)
• Bowmen: +4 Damages (4)

Persia (9)
• Starting Resources: +300/200 (2)
• Improved Income (Wood): *1.1/1.15/1.2/1.25 (Feudal Age -> Powder Age) (4)
• Cavalry: +2 Damages (3)

Turkey (15)
• Improved Income (Gold): *1.1/1.15/1.2/1.25 (Feudal Age -> Powder Age) (5)
• Cavalry: +30 Mvt Speed (2), +2 Damages (3)
• Hand Canoneer: +3 Damages (2)
• Mortars: +8 Damages (3)

So as you can see there are still missing stats for Spain, Italy, Ukraine, Kiev, Moskva and Hungary. And some of the countries I already did need other improvements.

I need you to help me finding particularities and balancing already-made particularities.

First post edited.

Level 12
A good idea it to base the stats depending on not only maybe some history and AoE II, but also on some facts about each country, for example: Turkey really NEED more income, since there are like 4 countries cornering her (Byzantine, Liban Union, Egypt, and Ukraine) she's going to get less towns then the other countries, and will need more income to get out of that mess. And the income improvement is available to only one resource? Hmm... (Ah, and are you adding those upgrades I mentioned? To other units? And to increase limit of gold and lumber you can have?) And an idea to Persia: I don't remember now their famous military unit, used many times by Ciro, but they are similar to Immortals, from the 300 movie. Maybe give War Elephants to Beny? And you're focusing on naval superiority for Beny... maybe their special unit should be a ship? [Also suggesting improving skirmishers poison... poison was really dangerous at that age. Make the dmg bigger 3-5 and the duration longer (1min)]

England: bowmen stats are worth 2, not 3. Add improved income for wood (need to get to land asap [feudal age] and more lumber to do ships.) that turns to be 16 for England.

France: Looks likes their knights were the most famous hum... so they need improvements at them. France has always been expansionist, so maybe capture cities with 750 hp? (4) +25% attack speed for Cavalry (3) So it is 15 for now...

Sweeden is ok. By infantry you mean what?

Finland: 200 hp is only 3? For England is 4... and ships? Which ships? Warships? Transports? Or All Ships Like England? And 4 is too much for 8, I believe. Or change to 10, or to 6 and +3 points.

Byzantine: Improved faith (Is that possible?)/ give faith to cataphracts(If it is possible.) (or both) (3 and 4 for cataphracts) Improved Poison for skirmishers (2). 15 if you choose both.

Greece: creation of units faster, creation of buildings faster (in preference, all of them.) (4) 15 if you put both.

Almoheads: 70 mvt speed should be (3), Cavalry dmg + 6 (5) more 1 armor for all units, including ships (5) produce ships faster (2) 15 if you put all.

Beny: Change ms to 100, and (3) +2 armor to all ships (4) +30 hp for all organic units(5) 15 if you put all...

Egypt: 100hp and +3 armor for transport ships (4) + 3 armor for buildings (3) +300 hp for buildings (3) +10 attack towers (1) Bowmen +6 (5) 16 if you put all.

Persia: +2 armor for melee units (4) +2 damage for melee units (remove that cavalry) (4) and starting resources for (3) 15 if you put all.

Turkey: take out mortar dmg, and make it capture cities with 750 hp (4) 16 in total.

Spain: +5 dmg to ALL units (5) + 3 armor to all ships (3) + 50 ms to all ships (3) Starting Resources: +400/300 (4) 15 if you put all.

Italy: Improved Faith (3) Creation of Buildings Faster (4) creating of builders faster (2) +20% attack speed to all units, (5) +50 range to all bowmen (2) 16 if you put all.

Ukraine: +70 hp for ALL units (5) make military units faster (except ships) (4) +10 attack speed to all melee units (2) +4 dmg to all melee units (3) Extra Regeneration (2) 16 if you put all.

Kiev: make builder faster (2) +30 ms to all land units (4) +2 armor to all land units (3) starting resources +300/200 (3) +1/2/3/4 dmg to all land units (3) 15 if you put all.

Moskva: Improved Income Gold (5) + 300/200 starting resources (3) +50 hp to all land units (4) + Make buildings faster (3) 15 to all.

Hungary: +600/500 starting resources (5) + 30 ms to all land units (4) + get cities with 750 hp (4) + 30 hp for all land units (3) 15 to all.

Well... it looks pretty good for me. They're all there, and I tried to get all to 15 points/16 points. Tell me what you think about those. I ignored some stats, but I just felt like not using them.

EDITED SOME THINGS

Last edited:
Level 40
I realize how they were made up. I'm saying most games (including LoE, although maybe not the new version) treat Janissaries as better Hand Cannoneers whereas they fulfilled many more roles.

Level 12
For Janissaries, maybe make them like Master Warriors from Broken Alliances, King Leopold. They can change their weapons, and use all of them with skill. In powder/imperial (since they were the first to get that technology) age you'll be able to make them use hand cannons. And make them available since feudal age.

Edit: PurplePoot, any ideas or suggestions along the stats between countries?

Level 18
@Sasuhkun: Didnt read everything, but what I read was already useful so I think I'm going to balance everything thing you said. I can't decrease training time of units (excepted if someone has an idea ?).

Level 12
First, we forgot poor Poland-Lithuania and Holy Roman Empire... How could you, you insensitive prick! LoL. Joking. Second, train 2 units except of one? Or decrease cost of units? And maybe there is a tutorial about that somewhere, or we could just ask someone with experience. Like PurplePoot :O

Poland: Get cities with 750 hp (4) increase armor of everything by 1 (units, buildings, ships) (5), +20% attack speed to cavalry (3) + 5 dmg to all melee units (3) 15 all

HRE: HP of all melee units +50 (3), dmg of ALL units that use lance + 8 (4) Extra Regeneration Rate to All melee units (2) +50 hp and 1 armor to all ships (2) +10% attack speed to melee units (2) increased range of all ranged by 50 (3) 16 points in total

Edit: Jesus Christ. With THAT, plus historical heroes, plus assasins (which also serves as spies), some passive and active abilities I hope you will add to footman,etc (that I suggested before; footman with increased combat chances, archers with no evasion (or maybe just normal evasion), but 25% chance to do 4x dmg [could be an upgrade. Sharpshooters] pikemen with increased range, and maybe cleave, since the lances are long and could hit some units behind,etc) Lords of Europe will be one of the best diplo map of all time. Man, I just can't wait. I could go and make those changes myself if I have to, just so we could have 4.0 version (with so many changes, it cannot be 3.1...) asap. Goffterdom, you're a genius. By the way, give blink to the assasins, so they could pass by towers with True Sight easily,but could be stopped "climbing a tower" for example. And they have true sight.

Level 12
the most dominant characteristic of Selçuk turks and ottoman was their fast land conquest. and most of the economics got gained by this way. You should make some kind of bonus resource gain when they capture a city, or some kind of pillage ability.

ps: yay, background of hiveworkshop, jingle bells

Level 12
You didn't played the game, by chance? There is a pillage upgrade, available to everyone and needed to advance through ages, though it does not works for towns. And improved income of gold kinda goes like that. Thanks for the information though, we could replace the mortar dmg (that does not make much sense, since pointed by yourself, Byzantine was the first using something similar, while Seldjouk Turks made the Janisarries use hand cannons. The very, very versatile Janissaries.) Edited my post ,and +rep for all the help you provided us, though in... "small waves" (lots of small posts regarding anything, which in the end, all together, helped a lot.

Edit: Merry Christmas everyone. Though it is kinda early.

Level 12
ofcourse I played it, I am saying a some kind of additional pillage ability-not the exact pillage-if it made sense to you (it seems it didn't), should be added to turks; either a one-shot resourse gain bonus, like a war boot.

Level 12
Hmm... You mean extra pillage effect? Or pillage since beginning? Or gaining gold from attacking not only buildings, but organic units too?

Edit: Goffterdom, I had another idea. We could add more realism and make LoE better by adding not only those passive skills I mentioned, but also adding some active abilities. For example, Archers. Each archer have a really, reaaally weak skill named Shower of Arrows, on which he throws up some arrows on a area. (Which each upgrade, you could improve that skill. Or maybe make it a upgrade itself, not sure.Or maybe a ability that makes it shoots faster and with splash. Well, keep reading) But when there are many archers, you can REAAAALLY make a Shower of Arrows (the 20 archers using Shower of Arrows at the same time makes the shower of arrows not so weak :O) Of course, we have to balance it first, otherwise Archers will be like killers. Except if there are footman using defend of course xD. What is the rate of defense and the chance of the arrow coming back? 30% or 50%? Don't remember. You should change to 50%. I have no idea for a skill to footman, but maybe could be having 100% cleave for some seconds, or (Stab) next attack will do 80% of chance to do, 2x dmg 50% of doing 3x dmg, 20% of doing 4x dmg, and 20% chance of defending it completely (the whole attack.) If he misses, he stay missing for 1 or 2 seconds, something like that. And for arrows that Sharpshooter uprade, on which there is a really slim chance (10%) of doing 4x dmg. So, whatcha think? And you saw that message I sent for you? Maybe make LoE more popular, ya know :D

Edit: another idea. Do you think it is possible to have TWO special units for each nation? A guy on wc3diplo.net from the thread I sent you (Spankfurt) mentioned it. I think it is a really good idea, though it is complicated because we're already having problems to set up one special unit for each nation, imagine then if we set up 2. But if it is possible, I'm glad to try helping in any way I can, as usual.

Last edited:
Level 18
Ok a little break for Christmas. Stop spamming useful ideas =D I can't notice them all !

I'll make a summery of what I read on Wc3Diplomacy and here soon and I will post it.

Merry Christmas =)

Level 12
Merry Christmas :D

(please notice my useful ideas ç-ç)

For some reason, Lords of Europe have a really negative image to most known diplomacy players. Almost everyone that play Europa knows Lords of Europe and HATES it. I just don't know why... D: And they're demonstrating that on the thread. Most of their opinions is based on old versions, and they refuse to believe that there are any good changes on LoE.

And the only one that did play the new version (Micr0Less, and maybe he did not played the new version, he didn't state if he played the new version) just criticized the map... he didn't said anything about the influence system, about the new countries, about the balance (he actually said that it IS imbalanced). They're too informal and say the first thing that comes into their heads and usually it is not a good thing. They also try to prove it with a reason that makes no sense at all. And they always think they're right... at least about LoE. Hopefully, they will turn to be wrong and see how great LoE is now :D

Edit: More suggestions: Those Sentrii will post here soon, and make so that all upgrades affect the King as well. It looks suitable for me :O And are you adding "optional" heroes? In a tavern,a pub, or something.

Edit: They said the pathing and the colision size sucks. That you should decrease colision size and I don't know about the path. Should decrease colision size by half.

Edit: Please use Morale System. By the way, the ausence of morale goes away as time passes right? Cause if you retreat your army, how can you increase morale again? There gotta be another method to increase morale, aside from battle ones. Like... when you're standing near a tavern (could be the same which you summon historical heroes) you gain mana regenerationa and mana rises. And also, the caravans: since they're healing, also put a mana regeneration for the morale rising since they're healing the army, etc. And also near the capital, near outposts (you feel more secure) Just some ideas, ya know. You could also add MORE stats and upgrades to each country about morale... yeah, it could work just fine... *-*

Edit: Keep reading the thread. By the way, make like it is on werewolf/dark deeds:you can only REPLACE your capital, never build another. But since the capital is the only building that make military builders, make so that... erm... barracks, something like that, make military builders? Yes, something like that.

Edit: Also, replace the weird models (Satyrs for example. Maybe capital building, maybe training grounds) for imported models, just to keep it more polished and clean. I know, it occupies space, but it does not take so long to download it right now and a version takes some time to be made. And Warriors suck. The only good thing is their armor, but they suck so much that they couldn't serve as a counter and etc.

Edit: BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG BUG

If you kill a city (yes you can) you keep the income she recieves. Also, as far as I'm aware, mortars can kill cities.
and in the next awesome, perfect version, protect the map, cause the guys from wc3diplo are trying to make a rmk out of it.

Edit: Maybe add weather? Weather would be nice *-*

How much time you will take to launch the new version?

Last edited:
Level 6
i just want you to know that i have played the newest version of LOE and i love it. it actually LESS imbalanced than Europa. and the influence system means that small nations can actually do something by simply defeating enough enemy guys to cause revolts.

just to point out. i think revolting cities should produce A FEW units (like 5 militia) to represent angry lynch mobs.

roads might be cool but im not sure.

there should be more expansion on the influence system. it shouldn't be JUST based on illitary (good economy = more influence special buildings maybey)

Level 18
Changelog available on every LoE Thread:

**********CHANGELOG LoE 4.0********** (Italic: What is already done)
• Medium Metal Armor now takes 80% damages from Pierce Attack (instead of 100%).
• Added few towns near Persia (Tel Aviv, Ashdod)
• More differences between north and south buildings (Blacksmith, Outpost, Frontier Fort, Scout Tower).
• Added a "Run" ability to all heroes. Enabled at Imperial Age.
• Imperial Age now requires: Workshop, Military Tactics, War Horse Training, Enthusiasm.
• Powder Age now requires: Balistics, Marksmanship, Heavy Armor, Siege Mastering.
• Builder is removed from starting units. Its training time is also increased to 20 (instead of 10).
• Colision Size reduced by 4 for every units (I increased it from 10 to 16 in a version). So now it'll be 12.
• Hero can be revived at Capital (so available to resurect at Dark Age).
• Ages can no longer be researched by upgrading Capital. It'll be a research (so that you wont be able to build another capital).
• An Emergency Ability is added to the capital-building. Enabled when the capital has >30% hp. Which allows to summon guards.
• Unit cost redone.
• Added differences between Towns (Capital = 400 Gold/300 Wood income, large cities = 300 gold/150 Wood, medium cities = 200 gold/100 wood and small cities = 100 gold/ 50 wood).
• Influence System Reworked: Researches now provide 3 Influence (instead of 2). Number of towns which claim independence now depends on how far you are negative in influence.

Level 12
Oooooooooooooooh man this is gonna rock good. @_@ I'll copy and paste it on the wc3diplomacy.net..

I wanna see their faces when they see this :D

Keep up the good work Goffterdom, I can't HARDLY wait for it *-*

Edit: Don't forget to fix that bug I mentioned. About mortars killing cities AND "keeping" the income they get. Either make the cities undestroyable, or make so that they do not keep the income if the city dies.

Level 18
Changelog updated !

**********CHANGELOG LoE 4.0********** (Italic: What is already done)
• Added a "Run" ability to all heroes.
• Powder Age now requires: Ballistics, Marksmanship, Heavy Armor, Siege Mastering.
• Ages are no longer researched by upgrading Capital. It's now a research (so that you wont be able to build another capital).
• Unit cost redone.
• Added differences between Towns (Capital = 300 Gold/200 Wood income, large cities = 170 gold/90 Wood, medium cities = 140 gold/80 wood and small cities = 100 gold/ 50 wood).
• Influence System Reworked: Researches now provide 2 Influence (instead of 1). Each Food used now gives two influence. Number of towns which claim independence now depends on how far you are negative in influence.
• New Ally System: Now available: Ally, Submit (Divert Income, Share Control), Neutral (Dont attack at sight), Enemy.
• The limit to take a city is now 1/4 (instead of 500). Medium cities have 2600 hit points (limit = 750), large have 4000 (limit = 1000).

Level 12
1) I think players should get permanent bonus influence by being ally with a enough dominant player, during alliance time.

2) and there should be a some kind of war condition option, like a bet; two strong rival players come to an agreement with confronting the armies, and there be a code, one of them types and invites his rival to the battle, they battle right there and when it's decided everything is done, hoster of the war should type another code and send his rival a claim to end the condition of war. looking to the influence points, the guy who lost less influence points should be chosen as winner, and should get a mega influence bonus for a limited time as the winner of a war.

well, they are really complicated to be made though.

Level 12
HUGESOME BUG!!!!!!

The charge skill that Knights have do not auto activate. Never did. NEVER. DID. AUTO. ACTIVATE.

Edit: You know dmg/armor display? that says it's weaknesses and advantages? Make it so it shows the percentage of dmg it does. You know, just to calculate how much dmg you do, etc.

Edit: A bug. When I had 73 towns (max towns you can have I think) I lost some towns, but in the informations table I still had 73 towns and I got the income you get when you get 73 towns o_O

Last edited:
Level 12
well, it's an interesting knowledge which I doubt about its accuracy, because byzantion walls are in a mess; even the double walls cannot stand against the giant cannons. You can still see the wall in Istanbul...

Level 18
I said I may do it, not I will =D

@Luffy: Dont know the moral system of WW3 Nuclear Sunrise but in Glory Of War -> Every units has mana which represents moral.
Every time a unit is killed it decreases moral of nearby units. Every time a unit kills another one it restores moral of nearby units.
If moral reach 0 the unit is under moral break and deals only 50% of regular damages, it has -5 armor and -50% attack speed.
Moral Break Video

I didnt planed to add it because I think this is a very HUGE change that need to be implemented on another map...

EDIT:

OK, here's what made:

Influence System
City and Influence

Each city has mana (0-25). It represents the control you have on it. The more mana it has the more control you have. Mana regeneration is 1 every 30'. The mana is set to 0 when you take it.

There are different state for cities depending on their mana:
• From 0 to 14: The city is taken, it needs 6 ip (Influence Point)
• From 14 to 24: The city is under control, it needs 4 ip
• 25: The city is annexed, it needs 2 ip

Current Influence
Influence will now depends on more factors:
Food (1 ip for each food used)
King (8 ip)
Tech Percent (2 ip for each percent)
Capital-City (10 ip) (Recall: In 4.0 you'll only have one capital at once)
Ally (your first ally will gives 8 ip, the second 4 ip) (Recall: In 4.0 the maximum number of ally is 2)
Buildings (1 ip every 4 buildings (exepted towns))

The Food represents the control of your territory by your armies. Your King is the roots of your kingdom. The tech percent symbolize the fact that the more a civilization is developed the more stable it will be. You capital-city is the core of your empire. An ally means that your kingdom is diplomatic, it helps people like the way you are governing. Your buildings improves the quality of the towns, grants work and stability for people of your kingdom.

Influence Needed
City Needs:
• Town State - Influence Point cost
• Taken - 6 ip
• Under Control - 4 ip
• Annexed - 2 ip

Cities lost depending on negative influence
(Recall: In 4.0 number of towns ownerchanging depends on how far you are negative in influence, not anymore on how many towns you have)
• Current Influence: Number of city lost (city state)
• From -1 to -5: One city (taken)
• From -6 to -10: Three cities (taken)
• From -11 to -15: Three cities (taken), One city (under control)
• From -16 to -20: Four cities (taken), One city (under control)
• From -21 to -25: Four cities (taken), Two cities (under control)
• 26 or below 26: Five cities (taken), Three cities (under control)

--------

If PurplePoot or you Sasuhkun can post this on wc3Diplomacy it would be nice. I need their comments, they are critics.

EDIT: Changelog updated !

(Italic: What is already done)
• Unit cost redone.
• Influence System Reworked: Researches now provide 2 Influence (instead of 1). Number of towns which claim independence now depends on how far you are negative in influence. Other changes incoming.
• Ally Max per game: 2
• Added percentage of damages/blocking in Damages/Armors types infopannel.
• Added a "Run" ability to all heroes, avalaible at start (French did learn Run at Dark Age =D).

Last edited:
Level 12
Faster than you. By the way, I though on buildings, but didn't really liked since people would spam towers and similar just to get influence. And as PurplePoot said, it would support turtling :O

Edit: Show information about the stats of each country somewhere.

Last edited:
Level 12
@Luffy: Dont know the moral system of WW3 Nuclear Sunrise but in Glory Of War -> Every units has mana which represents moral.
Every time a unit is killed it decreases moral of nearby units. Every time a unit kills another one it restores moral of nearby units.
If moral reach 0 the unit is under moral break and deals only 50% of regular damages, it has -5 armor and -50% attack speed.

oh, this is a similar system to nuclear sunrise's system but this is better then.. Because at nuclear sunrise, when mana of infantry units reach 0, they stop fighting and become neutral because of psychologic crisis they have.

Level 2
You have re-opened LoE?! Nice :)

I will make a quick suggestion based on what i've see in first page.

Country Stats:
England: as far as i know England (and later UK) won naval battles thanks to their excellent tactics rather then quality or quantity of ships (Battle of Trafalgar...). For those reasons i would suggest +25 move speed for all ships (manouvering) and +2 hp regen per sec (experienced sailors can easily repair their ships even on sea). Bonus range for bowmen is fine. Other think that can be related to England is their wealth. In certain time kings and queens of UK ruled the biggest empire world has ever seen. Some + gold income from overseas colonies maybe. Though thah can be included as upgrade in tech tree in later stages.

France: Hmm cavalry bonus seems to be reasonable. Isn't it hard to think up something France excels?

Sweden: I came from one country that was invaded by Sweden army. They stole a lot of things(art, gold etc) (no offence, winner takes everything) So some form pillage ability?

Finland: Uhmm don't remembed much from history lessons... Well if i'm not wrong they defend their lands against many powerfull invaders? Some bonus for tower and other defend structures...?

Greece: Is it much to ask Spartan Hoplite special unit? .)

Egypt: Nil gave them the ability to harvest more then two times a year. So increased unit cap?

Holy Roman Empire: As special unit i would suggest Crusader. On foot or mounted.

Any numbers included are subjects to change.

All for now.

Level 12
Everythin is already set.... About Sweeden, there is already a pillage upgrade available for all the units. Egypt, the max food you can get in all wc3 is 300.
HRE: There is Crusaders available for all the countries on Church (Or the relative one to Arabic Countries)

Level 18
Everything isnt set for now, I'm still planing and I didnt start country bonuses for now, I'm just gathering ideas all around =D

I'm thinking on removing the food limit -.-

Status
Not open for further replies.