• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Let's make a map! (Forum Game idea)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 13
Hey, guys! Oh, and Windrunner29...can I add a scenario after you've finished your part?

This map seems to be fun. And btw, do we only get 1 scenario per user? or do we take turns?

As many as you like :) - just don't take the map and come back 3 days later :p. Post the map back when you're done working with it, so others can continue on it. That way it should be completed quite quickly (i hope!).

Level 6
@windrunner
You could definitely add a terrain and someone else can use it to make a scenario
Also if you have any additions on the 2nd scenario's terrain (goblin forest) feel free to make changes but write your changes in the triggers.

@Spellbound
Spells! that's great, specially if you could add it after a scenario is finished, it can be like the prize of it.

Btw, you should probably put the riddle answer in dialogue boxes since the answer is not very obvious. It's more puny than anything, and people think in different ways. Point in case - I never would have gotten it without google's help :p

I'll play around with some of the GUI projectile systems here and see what can be done with em. Might try something with telegraphed spells...

Spellbound said:
Btw, you should probably put the riddle answer in dialogue boxes since the answer is not very obvious. It's more puny than anything, and people think in different ways. Point in case - I never would have gotten it without google's help :p

^ And may I suggest, if the player answered wrong, he will not be penalized, but instead, be teleported to another scenario.

Level 6
Btw, you should probably put the riddle answer in dialogue boxes since the answer is not very obvious.

Dialogue choices make the riddle too easy tho. I'm thinking of adding a hint to the riddle. something like "don't think too much into it" or "the shape of the forest trees might help you in the answer"

Level 13
Love what you did with the terrain Wind!

Dialogue choices make the riddle too easy tho. I'm thinking of adding a hint to the riddle. something like "don't think too much into it" or "the shape of the forest trees might help you in the answer"

It is a bit weird that if you get stuck, you'd have to go google it :p, so something simple like a hint, timer, or limited tries (or all 3!) would be good :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm done adding the 4th scenario. I've also added a utility trigger where you can fully heal Jack. (for testing purposes)

It's set in a torture room-type place. It's currently connected to the third and final gate from Area 1.

Now it's your turn, guys! I'm excited on how this map will turn out.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 5.w3x
    77.2 KB · Views: 42
Level 6
Done.

I didn't do much. Frankly my skill level isn't high enough to build an entirely new scenario without an extended period of trial and error, and I don't want to make other editors wait the hours it will take me to teach myself new tricks.

I added a few new caves to scenario entry/exit points where I could.
I changed the name of the Riddler so it actually says the Riddler.
I fixed the tooltip on the Magic Acorn to accurately reflect the effect and number of charges.

Not wanting to have done effectively nothing, I added something new.
I have created a new ability for Jack. It is called "Think About Your Life"
By default, using this power will make Jack say a random thing. My thinking is that people can add more random crap for him to say, give our man some personality... and they can add location-specific conditions to the trigger so it can be used as a general way of getting advice or finding clues throughout different areas of the map. Like in the Riddle area, maybe while the riddle is active, pressing it would make jack say, "What could it be? There's no inspiration in here! There's just a bunch... of..."

I came up with the idea when I saw questions over how a clue to the riddle could be done, and I realized that there will undoubtedly be other secrets and tricks that should have a single, simple method of getting clues for.

I have an idea for the next scenario, but can't get it to function how I want.
If anybody else wants to pick it up and run with it, please do.

My idea is Jack finds himself in a chamber with a bunch of bunnies. Out of one side of the chamber, a Golden Bunny appears. On the other side, one or more (possibly determined by the chosen difficulty) Killer Rabbits appear. The rabbits flee away from jack when he approaches, especially the Golden Bunny, which is just a bit faster than jack. You have to corner the bunny in order to capture the golden bunny. When you do, the scenario is over, and jack gets the Bunny Hood, which increases his movement speed. Or maybe just a holy hand grenade of antioch.

Anyway, it's simple, but that was my idea.

I also want to make sure I mention that the camera change isn't working properly when the Torture Room scenario starts. I'm a novice with camera work, so I've left that for more capable hands to correct.

Going forward, my skill and patience may be best suited to ensuring consistency, grammar and spelling, tooltip accuracy, and little bits of flavor.

Oh, and don't worry, Knight! I was building off of your version 5!

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 6.w3x
    80.1 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Level 13
Added Scenario 5 :)

I fixed Scenario 4's camera, camera bounds were indeed still in action.

Scenario 5 links from Scenario 3.

Nice additions Quill and Knight! I think those magi might want some balancing though, poor Jack didn't stand a chance after losing most of his health to the Lich's Challenge :p

It would be nice if people could categorize their regions a bit better - not that it really matters.

@Quill; you can make a scenario that fits your triggering abilities. You could even do something that doesn't use much triggers such as a maze, riddle or question (you should be able to study some of the other Scenarios and learn from them).

"Thinking about your life" is a fun ability, though people will need to wire it up to their Scenarios, so it might just be for funsies for now.

@Wind; feel free to add some stuff to Scenario 3 (where the trees are). Just be mindful of where Regions are as these determine where things will spawn.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 7.w3x
    92.7 KB · Views: 35
Level 6
With the clever use of some triggers, I could make a "drunk" effect. Add a filter, some movement modifiers on a loop...

I don't know how that could be used, but it might be fun to have a part where Jack stumbles through something totally smashed.

@pick-a-chew: Very true. Also I only just got the name pick-a-chew. Anyway, as progression on the map is made, I can tie additional things to my Think About Your Life bit.
I'm studying every version of the map to continually deepen my ability to make new scenarios.
I think it just provides an option so people can create more complex or challenging interactive scenarios and not have to worry about how to provide clues.

Last edited:
Level 13
No one working on it at the moment? Come on guys!!

Map%20Forum%20Thing.jpg

This is what we have at the moment. I think things need to branch a bit more (2, 4, 3 and 5 are linear). There's no reason why things can't interlink either *plots away*.

Start should also have another entrance i think.

Okay, I've added Scenario 6! It's your turn, guys!

Scenario 6 isn't that much. There's only one trap, but it has two exits where you guys can link to your new scenarios.

I've added a link for Scenario 2's portal. After the fight or the riddle, the trees are removed at the lower part of the area where a lever is located.

If the lever is destroyed, the portal links to the Scenario 5 Ritual.

If it is not, then the portal will link normally to Scenario 6 or the Underground Pools.

I've also fixed some issues with the Skeletal Magi, but you guys can check to balance it further.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 8.w3x
    99.3 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Level 6
@Quill Maybe you could add a description to the "think about your life ability" that says "it could be useful if you're confused or stuck or in a pinch" (i.e the riddle)

Also, that stumble ability can be helpful in cinematic scenes :3 I'm liking the idea.

I'll be working on the map now

Level 6
This is proving to be far more popular than I had ever expected.

I may not have all the editing skills of some, but one area I do very well at is ideas. And ideas will keep a project like this going.

Here some other ideas I've had for scenarios:
A Hangman area. Spell the right word or get punished! With just a bit more work, you could have 2-5 words it chooses from randomly!

A hide and seek area. You find the hiding npc as fast as you can, then you have to avoid being found for a longer period of time.

Simple logic puzzles. Like 3 rotating statues and 3 buttons, each rotating different statues differently (so rather than just a button a rotates statue a, maybe each button can affect every statue at the same time, just differently) . Can you get them all pointing in the right direction?

A racing section. Gain control of a quick unit and race others to the finish. You have a few moves with different cooldowns (like trot, cantor, and gallop, or the like), so time them in a smart way to get to the end first!

A memory game. A bunch of levers or floor buttons that reveal units when interacted with. Make pairs in order to clear the scenario.

An arson area. Grab some fire and BURN EVERYTHING TO THE GROUND.

An area filled with coins. Then at the end you get chased by a strange Italian plumber clad in red and blue. (Mushroom powerup that grows you, anyone?)

...if you changed locust swarm so it summoned a pack of chickens, couldn't you make a cucco attack like seen in Legend of Zelda? That's not even a scenario idea, just a weird, fun little thought.

Jack is a peasant... peasants include default animations of carrying and dropping off corpses. I really think somebody should do something that makes use of that animation.

I don't know. Maybe some of those ideas are usable.

Level 6
Logically the OP author should upload. Or we could just take a vote for the MVP and let them have the honor.

I'm working on another idea right now. It came to me in a short-lived dream when I dozed off watching Fruits Basket next to the wife after eating a bunch of pizza and watching too many episodes of Game Grumps.

It was the recipe for GENIUS. Or least mild entertainment.
Either way, tomorrow I'll actually sit down and map out my idea, and then, when there is an opening, I'll add it. It will be a little labyrinth, but I'll endeavor to make sure it doesn't eat up a huge portion of the map.

...I may also need to find some specialized dwarf models...

Level 6
Finished it. The scenario turned to be bigger than expected :ogre_rage:
and there are still some stuff that I'd like to add, hopefully on the next time I edit it.

I also added a TAYL texts specifically activated when you're in scenario 2, to give hints to the riddle.

Edit : fixed the entrance trigger.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 9.w3x
    106.3 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Level 13
Nice work guys! The spike room was very funny for me (because i managed to die twice by not really taking the spikes seriously :p), and the water room was very atmospheric!

I'm busy today so wont have time to work on it, but i'll be excited to see what else you guys come up with!

Level 6
I think as we're progressing with the map, something needs to be done about the story progression.

The idea was that Jack finds himself on the shore of a beach with no memory of his past, and he begins to remember as he progresses. But until now he still has no clue as to what in the world is going on, except that he keeps facing challenges, and he has to survive.

As far as how the story should progress..
Every member can add a plot point in his scenario where he uncovers part of Jack's story, and leave a cliffhanger for the next member to add to. (Of course, this must contain legit stuff)

Or. Scenarios are kept being made but a specific scenario every now and then is made to reveal a crucial plot point. (based on the scenarios made before so member can still make fun scenarios) I'm willing to do that if no one else is.

in this case the scenario must be mandatory, for example make it linked to "maze" since almost every other scenario is linked to it, and it will open paths for more scenarios (like lich's hall)
qTAq0YW.jpg

Or. We could keep making scenarios with no real story to back it up. This will take some of the magic of this map, a story is always nice and gives the map a purpose.

Which of these suggestions fits you guys ? making it simple, first one is "collaboration", 2nd is "structure" and 3rd is "null"

I vote for collaboration.

Level 6
MY WORK IS DONE!!!

Here is my change log:

Updated tooltip for TAYL.
Adjusted the riddle clues for scenario 2. Now the riddle clues only play if the player has chosen to take the riddle, and TAYL reverts to normal now if the fighting option is taken.

Created Scenario 8: The Force Labyrinth. In this scenario, the player must find a way through the Force Wall maze, using two helpers along the way.

This took me a crazy amount of trial and error, so other eyes should probably take a look and make sure that it is all bug free.

Scenario 8 is accessed from the Maze area. That means that every path currently leads to scenario 8, except for the Pools area you reach from the Easy path. I suggest that the Pools area be linked up to the maze or Scenario 8 as well so that everything in the first part of the map will lead there, and we can continue building story from that part onward.

TAYL now has special dialogue for Scenario 8.

The only bug I see so far is that every once in a while, the force wall that turns off when Jack faces south won't visibly turn off, though it no longer blocks movement. If anybody can figure out why this is happening, it would help. Otherwise, the Force Labyrinth works exactly as I had hoped.

Well everybody. Enjoy version 13.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 13.w3x
    125.4 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Level 13
I think as we're progressing with the map, something needs to be done about the story progression.

The idea was that Jack finds himself on the shore of a beach with no memory of his past, and he begins to remember as he progresses. But until now he still has no clue as to what in the world is going on, except that he keeps facing challenges, and he has to survive.

As far as how the story should progress..
Every member can add a plot point in his scenario where he uncovers part of Jack's story, and leave a cliffhanger for the next member to add to. (Of course, this must contain legit stuff)

Or. Scenarios are kept being made but a specific scenario every now and then is made to reveal a crucial plot point. (based on the scenarios made before so member can still make fun scenarios) I'm willing to do that if no one else is.

in this case the scenario must be mandatory, for example make it linked to "maze" since almost every other scenario is linked to it, and it will open paths for more scenarios (like lich's hall)
qTAq0YW.jpg

Or. We could keep making scenarios with no real story to back it up. This will take some of the magic of this map, a story is always nice and gives the map a purpose.

Which of these suggestions fits you guys ? making it simple, first one is "collaboration", 2nd is "structure" and 3rd is "null"

I vote for collaboration.

At the moment the map feels very escape-ish (and given that Jack has a crashed ship :p, that's what makes sense to me at the moment).

The only scenario that relates to Jack at the moment is the torture room with Rose (though that itself is very mysterious :p). I was going for "get to the end" approach with this map (i.e. Jack needs to survive and get out from wherever he is), though i'm happy to add a few hints to Jack's life in the scenarios i have done so far.

Story is good but in this case, too much story might be bad since all the editors have to know it/follow it to make sure the map progression makes sense.

But overall i don't mind ^^

Also nice update of the tree pic :p

Level 6
@Quill took me a while to figure it out, it was so confusing. :p nicely done, and I like the touch to the story.

At the moment the map feels very escape-ish.
I was going for "get to the end" approach with this map (i.e. Jack needs to survive and get out from wherever he is), though i'm happy to add a few hints to Jack's life in the scenarios i have done so far.

That works too. Although it would make the story pretty short, but I have no objections.

Last edited:
I'm suggesting that there should be an integer that increases every time you encounter a scenario that helps Jack recover his memories.

Take the Torture Room for example, that's one.

In the end, if the integer reached the required value, and if Jack had encountered a lot of stuff to remember everything that happened, the player wins.

If the player failed to do so, Jack would wander around the place without knowing how to get back home. The player also loses.

Level 6
Since nobody picked it up after me this afternoon/evening, I went ahead and did some more work.

Change log:

Scenario trigger folders now have the name of that scenario listed as well as the scenario number. This is for the ease of finding and editing the scenarios, which I think will be necessary as we congeal the story and flesh out elements later on. Not to mention that we're already up to 9 distinct sections with over half the map empty.

Added a new utility cheat. Typing -scenario8 will instantly warp you to the start of the new scenario 8, for those who want to get to testing the new and the materials that follow without running the whole level again.

Changed the opening of the Spike Maze so the camera pans to Jack's new location.

Fixed a couple issues with my Scenario 8, including solving the issue that had previously flummoxed me.

I have added an underground chamber reached by taking the center pool in the Water Pools area. This is not a new scenario, simply a fight/treasure room. It leads directly back to the water pools area. This leaves the left pool to take somebody to a new scenario, but makes the lucky or careful player find some neat things. If you would like to add story items to the underground chamber, please feel free to do so.

One item I added in the Underground Chamber is the Bunny Hood, which increases movement rate. If anybody can find/create a custom bunny hood icon for it, it would be another little easter egg for the map. Then again, I named the mobs "Red Lobster" so maybe I should resist my impulses a bit more. I mean, I won't... but for the sake of argument, maybe I should.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 14.w3x
    131.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I'm done with version 15 of the map! I've added Scenario 9 which is set in a haunted library. Scenario 9 is linked through the Underground Passage that can be accessed by entering the first pool in the Underground Pools and entering the cave at the end of Scenario 8.

Scenario 9 is merely a cutscene showing a little bit of insight as to what happened before Jack ended up in the landing site.

Feel free to change it if you can think of something better to the scenario.

Attachments

• Map Thing ver 15.w3x
    140.5 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Level 6
We now officially have ended all existing branches in the map. Everything converges on Scenario 9. I've attached an updated map of those branches if anybody wants to take a look at it.

This means that we start anew.

Personally, I'd like to see a bit of a larger, semi-open-world area next. If we wanted, it could serve as the next hub for more branches... or we could just forget branching and just have it serve as a central area that connects to and is connected back from a number of new scenarios and sub areas.

That's just my idea. And if there is one thing doing this project can teach all of us, it's that often we can have a more amazing result if no one person's vision directs the whole.

Attachments

• Game so far.jpg
    Game so far.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hmm...I like the idea of creating another hub. Something like the Lich's hall where more scenarios branch out. But if we put the Story into consideration, all those branches must eventually converge into one scenario which reveals a bit about Jack's memories...

Then we start the cycle all over again until the map is full.

Anyway, it's just my thought. I would like to know more about other's ideas.

EDIT: Shouldn't we increase the map size now?

Level 6
I'd vote for increasing map size if we decide to do a hub.

If we want to do a hub that eventually converges, then the hub maker could just include a series of locked gates or something at the end. Then each person who builds a scenario leading from the hub can just have it end by opening one of those gates. We could even, quite easily, have the hub lead to more places than there are gates, again giving the player choices and options, and just tie the end of each hub scenario to a single trigger that opens the gates one by one.

That way, people who want to can explore everything, and people who want to be quick can just do the number required.

I love that idea. Each hub scenario would have a lever or key of some sort to open one of the gates. We might be able to make it more fun if we added more of the fight/treasure rooms that can be accessed from the hub scenarios.

Oh, and instead of having to go back to the hub center every time...maybe we can add a shortcut that would link two hub scenarios to make the quest faster.

Players would have different styles of winning. They could just focus on the main quest, or they could explore and play around the scenarios.

Level 6
@Knight: I like that idea. You and I should collaborate further to build a pair of interconnected scenarios when we get another shot at it. We seem to be on the same page.

@Everybody Else: I really do vote for giving Jack an upgrade. We are at a time in the map where we can, very easily, give jack an upgrade without it affecting any previous scenario structures. We can make him a real hero unit. Hell, we can have options so the player can make him whatever type of hero they prefer. That will be easy enough since we can just change the "Jack" variable to the selected hero. It could even be part of Jack's memories. Like he sees a bunch of gear and "remembers" some of his past skills.

Was Jack a warrior, skilled in steel and blade?
Was Jack a mage, able to channel the arcane energies of the universe?
Was Jack a hunter, stealthy and quick with his ever-accurate bow?

Those are just a few examples.

It is unlikely a time this perfect to do that will come around again anytime soon, it would provide incredible options to expand on combat scenarios.

Level 6
I wouldn't vote for increasing map size. I don't want to be the party pooper but the focus should be on finishing the map first. Last map (The TD) wasn't finished because the contributing members got busy with other projects or busy irl.

Perhaps start another map later to continue the adventure of the "upgraded" Jack. I'm busy myself with stuff at the moment, so I won't be able to continue until the end, maybe I could add another scenario before this is finished.

Then when it's uploaded it could be the "Hivers Map 1.0" or something. :p

That's just my opinion. Unfortunately, I can't take the map right now. Perhaps I'll take it tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.