• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Can you call an RTS a gameplay style?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
Well if i like to play with troops like Starcraft or Warcraft what is my gameplay style?

Also is Hack n' Slash synonymous with Fast Paced gameplay?

Can you call the RTS a slow pace type of gameplay?

Really need answers.

THIS IS MY SITUATION

I created a mode where players control multiple units and called RTS and a mode where you control 1 troop with spammable abilities called Hack n' Slash

Last edited:

Em!

Em!

Level 25
Rts; "real time strategy". If it´s turn based it´s not rts.
Games were you control units and build structures like Red Alert, C&C, Starcraft, Warcraft, Warlords Battlecry, Battlerealms, Grey Goo, Dawn of War are all rts.

Rpg; role playing game "d&d" or Jrpg, japanese role playing game "final fantasy" were you role play as a character and fight monsters and gain experience. Mmorpg; massive multiplayer role playing game like "world of warcraft".

Fps; First person shooter were you see from the first person point of view and shoot people like Far Cry.

There are also "action", "platformers", "simulators" type of games. Google can be of help here.

Level 35
RTS is more a frame of mind and is subjective to opinion.

Hack n' Slash is generally synonymous with hacking and/or slashing, how fast you kill people varies from person to person as some are natural born killers while others have "empathy" (please note the existence of "empathy" is purely theoretical).

I think you could call RTS a real-time strategy, yes.

I hope this helps.

The number of units controlled doesn't matter here.

RTS just means "real time strategy", as has been pointed out. If there is no strategy involved, it's not RTS. The pacing doesn't matter.

"Hack and Slash" is not a genre itself. "Hack and Slash" just describes a sub-genre of Actions-Adventures, in which you mostly use directly controlled melee combat mechanics to slash through hordes of (mostly weak) enemies.

Tbh, I'd call your group mode just "tactics mode" and the other one "action mode".

Status
Not open for further replies.