• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Fate ORPG - Yes, another RPG!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 9
- - - F a t e R P G - - -

file.php

Hi everyone. Me (KiliX), and StealthOfKing have been working on a project for quite some time now, and is nearing a first release. We have both poured our heart and soul into this thing.

What is this?
Fate is an Open RPG type map that features fully customized gameplay. We have included as much custom content as we can.
I know some of you don't really grasp the massiveness of this project, especially with two people. I will be satisfied with a demo as soon as some of the basic systems are moved over from the code map and are working flawlessly. Here, let me try to put some of this in numbers.

Races and Classes

Orc
- Berserker
- Shaman
- Warlock
- Hunter
Night Elf
- Assassin
- Berserker
- Cleric
- Hunter
- Mage
Undead
- Assassin
- Berserker
- Mage
- Warlock
Skeleton
- Assassin
- Berserker
- Cleric
- Mage
- Warlock
Draenei
- Paladin
- Mage
- Shaman
- Warlock
Dwarf
- Berserker
- Hunter
- Paladin
- Shaman
Dragon
- Hunter
- Paladin
- Shaman
- Warlock
Human
- Assassin
- Berserker
- Cleric
- Mage
- Paladin

Basic list of features:

- Heavily customized XP system and drop system.
- 7 Player online compatible
- 400 custom equippable items
- 35 Completely different towns and areas to explore.
- Active dueling anywhere in any town.
- 9 Races with 9 Classes
- Each hero has 11 primary spells, learned throughout different levels.
- A special "Autoparty" system that pairs groups with shared vision, exp, gold, and displays party members' icons underneath yours.
- A special drop system that places items in player owned bags for looting, with the option to pass on items.
- Items, when equipped, actually display on your hero.
- Save and Loading included, with as small as a 12 character save code.
- 5 Dungeons to explore that include elite creeps and loot.
- World Epic drops
- Quests and Class quests
- Team oriented bosses and scripted fights
- Over 200 imported models and effects
- 45 second loading time
- Unique day/night system with world events
- Party-Only chat
- 4 Completely different professions that add a new depth to gameplay
- A worldmap
- Behemoth (city) contains an always changing in-game auction house.
- Percentage based item bonuses (+15% Strength etc)
- Stat based abilities to ensure multiple builds per class
- Can actually walk-in houses and buildings
- Perks to further customize the role of your hero.
- Many abilities that encourage party play
- All Abilities are completely code enhanced. There are no standard abilities.
- A full list of personal game options, from customizing AutoParty, to changing the look and flow of damage text. All saved in your code.
- A fully customized UI! No, I'm not talking about textures.
- ScreenAlign is a new feature that can be toggled on/off. It displays certain update messages on the top of your screen. Can include things such as Quest updates, player updates, and game messages to name a few.
- Tired of doing quests? Well head to a nearby Hunt Clerk to check what marks are currently on the board.

- Hotspells! As some of you know, sometimes having your abilities in a spellbook is tedious and annoying. We'll, to fix this issue, we have created HotSpells. What this means is that you have 4 ability slots on your hero that can be mixed and matched with any of the abilities in your spellbook via a simple chat command. This allows you to have up to 4 spells that you use often, to be placed on your hero's command card for easy use, and avoids having to open and close the spellbook for those often-use spells.

All I can think of off the top of my head. To me, we are doing what WoW did with the MMORPG genre. Basically compiling all the best ideas into one map. That takes time, my friends. Just the sheer amount of content is almost overwhelming every time I open the map in WE. So, please bare with us and accept that this kind of thing takes time. Lots of it. We are working as fast as we can to deliver something we deem worthy of release.

OLD SCREENSHOTS (new ones will be up soon)

Many more screenshots can be seen at these five links

Feedback would be appreciated greatly. Thank you!
Also, I'm using this account here because I used it back in 2005 to upload maps. Just FYI

Last edited:
Level 4
This looks extremely cool! For originality's sake you may want to rename the forest from that first screenshot, but other than that this looks to be incredible!

I look forward to seeing this show up on BNet when it's complete! It sounded like it was single-player compatible as well, if that's the case i will definitely spend some time playing it. (i know a lot of people don't make saveable RPGs playable in single player because they're worried about cheats, but simple triggers can fix that (i'm sure you know that though :p))

I can't wait to get a closer look!

Level 9
Yeah, the name of that area has already been changed. Thats one of the older screenshots, it's now Youngwood.

Thanks for the compliments BTW, appreciated.

EDIT: Updated first post with new links.

Last edited:
Level 2
I dam I thought kilix rpg was dead lol guess the name change kind of screw me up o well, Looking good guys cant wait until its done

Level 2
I think this is my new favorite RPG, and I haven't even played it :p Just to confirm, this requires multiple players right?

Anyway, it might just be me but the map looks kind of small. Is it different maps for each place like a campaign?

Either way, it looks awesome.

Level 9
I assure you, the map is not small. Here is the overworld. Each node leads to a different area, as well as nodes inside areas.

There are easily 35 areas to explore. Some are HUGE, some are smaller. But I can tell you that everytime you play it, you will find something new to explore or something new to do. There is literally that much packed into this map.

Attachments

• Overworld.jpg
    Overworld.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 3,583
Level 34
I saw the title. Shook my head and clicked. Thinking I was going to see another crappy rpg, I was pleasantly surprised! This game seem very very original and well made. The terrain is actually pretty good. I'm guessing you have to try and keep the doodad limit down?

I can't wait to play.

One peeve about the game is the color text. A) I hate that color text on the stats. It was kind of cool the first time, but now it's over used. B) The weapon text isn't bad, but I don't care for it there either.

Level 6
Goodness. I am a huge RPG fan and would really love to play this. looks fun, well made, well terrained and overall amazing! You got any idea when you are going to release it?

Level 9
We do clan tests every so often, if your around in the channel you're welcome to join. Nothing like planned testing, just whenever we want to mess around with a new feature we host a private game.

As for release, not sure. If it were up to me I would want a first release out within the next month or so, but its a two person project.

Last edited:
Level 34
s[i]n;504703 said:
Hah, I broke the doodad limit long ago. If I remember correctly, there is about 21k doodads. Normally you would guess this would lag like crazy, but it does not.
If you can I would pack more doodads in there. You can never have enough doodads!

Level 9
Channel "Clan BoM" on us east server. I'm usually on either KiliX or KiliXbot.

Oh, and thanks for all the comments guys, really an incentive to finish this thing. And as you also may already know, there are many more pics in the links from the first post, so check em out!

Last edited:
Level 3
Looks VERY nice, you should try adding the as-many-players-as-you-want feature in Reinvent the Craft.

Level 2
I'm going to ask a few questions I forgot to ask in my first post :p

-What type of clan is Clan BoM?
-How many of the items show on your hero?
-What does +5%/10% mean in the first screenshot :D?

Anyway, hope this is released soon.

Level 9
We are a mapping clan.
All 6 items show on your hero.
The percents used to stand for 5% atk spd, 10% move speed, but that has been removed and replaced with something different.

Last edited:
Level 2
Looks VERY nice, you should try adding the as-many-players-as-you-want feature in Reinvent the Craft.
There is nothing I would like more than to use Reinventing the Craft's multiplayer feature, if it wasn't a stand alone mod for WC3. Forcing anyone who wants to play the game to use this modified version of WC3 isn't really an option, it would greatly decrease the audience that the game would be going out to.

When we get finished however, I might work on a second release that supports RtC but until then it stays normal Bnet/LAN play.

PS. What is with username max size being so small? :(

Level 3
A second release with RtC capabilities would be good because it would turn the game into a mini MMORPG which would be very interesting but aren't there heaps of things you need to change for RtC to work with the map?

Also, how much has been done of the map?

Level 27
So this is going to smash all other orpg's and making all other orpg makers stop they're maps because this one has everything original already.. cool i like it.. And dont come up with something like 'no you should continue your maps because they can be good to' (although your map is way better anyone of you could accomplish without copying anything from it) ...

So case closed i think, if this is released it will even beat the crap out of tkok if it has some more funky systems implanted. o_O !!!!!

Level 34
TKoK is an amazing map. Although the game play gets boring. Just grind and grind. I hope you make this more fast paced. TKoK is just too slow IMO.

Level 9
Lately most of my time has been spent making things that you can do other than grind or quest. Things such as searching for treasure, digging around, fishing, farming, leveling professions, leveling specializations. Just things that will make it that much more of an experience.

Level 1
:l~ Man im drooling just reading through... ive never been much of an rpg fan when it comes to warcraft 3 maps but this map is just raising the bar a whole lot higher , i hope that all the other rpg map makers see this and get inspired to make a better map... allthough that would be hard to do... Anyways it looks great , sounds great just hope all this hype is not for nothing... oh lol and dont rush the map because of all this demand for it. CAnt WAIT!!!! XD

Level 9
Just an update:

Finishing the last of the profession items.
Still waiting for SoK on some triggers
Adding moreeeeeeee equippables and sellable drops
Changing abilities in and out.. seeing what works best
Started more quests, 11 done.

Level 34
How are you doing quests. I myself am trying to make a system for multiplayer questing. If you have a good system could you share some light on the subject through a PM? Thanks.

Level 27
Yeah i aint reacting on that one. But you know that there already were some ORPG's that had the feature from attaching weapons to heroes when items are picked up?

As for the screens they look awesome lol. But i still wonder... is the map 456x456? or just 256x256 but everything made smaller?

Level 34
DUDE
THE ARE THE BOMB
IVE BEEN WAITING FOR A MAP THAT HAS THE WEAPONS APPEAR ON THE HERO THIS IS GONNA BE SWEET......:infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up::infl_thumbs_up:
Please don't do that. People don't want to see all caps posts, and spammed smilies. I'm gad you are excited, but show it in a more professional manner.

@sn: Looks sexy. I too can't wait to try this map out.

Level 8
WOW thats all i can say about this project looking VERY great and i hope u go through on this project

Level 4
I'm sorry if i missed this in the previous posts (or in the main one), but when is this going to be released? i have a few friends that i want to play this with, how long will we be waiting?

Level 2
What type of quests do you want to see?

Well i'd like to see quests like killing boss/elite mobs and get rewarded with items

What type of quests do you absolutely not want to see?

More quests better so dont really care :p

Level 6
I would like to see hard quests, that are innovative. Not just a kill mob quest wrapped with a fancy story, I want a cool quests that have lots of working parts to it. Kind of like Morrowind's main quest (if you haven't played it, then that has no effect on you. Good story that game has). PJust be as creative as you possibly can and don't do repeditive quests, that always ruins things. Hope that helps.

Level 4
Kind of like Morrowind's main quest (if you haven't played it, then that has no effect on you. Good story that game has).

I think that'd be a little too difficult for WC3. But now that you mention that game i'll have to go at least play Oblivion... i've misplaced Morrowind and i never could finish the first real part of the story quest! How sad :(

My biggest bone to pick with WC3 questing is the poor quest management system. I can give a speech on it later (and in another forum) but the hardest part of making quests fun in WC3 (for me) is that you need to make them short.

Why? Because if i have 10 quests active then i'm never going to know which one i'm working on where and i'll just get so confuddled i wont do any of them until i get a message saying "Turn This Quest In!" Long quests are okay if you dont' have many quests. Two or Three big quests (or one epic one) are okay, but if you get any more convoluted with multiple quests then it's just too overwhelming for me.

P.S. Sorry i took two paragraphs to say "make quests short" ><

Last edited:
Level 9
I know where you're coming from gloryblade, thats why I went out of my way to design a new quest system. So far, it seems really easy to handle and work with, giving updates as you complete parts of it. You can see some old WIP pictures here( http://clanbom.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=363&start=0 ). My main goal with this rpg was to localize everything to your hero. All game options, quests, abilities, items... everything will all be hotkeyed or in easy clicking range. This seems odd at first, but it really works out in game. Hopefully I can give a test of the quest system for you all to try out.

Level 40
KiliX, how about something involving the sea: there are two harbours, so piracy would most likely be rather profitable! (You could smash the pirates, or you could do something such as have the two ports be trade rivals, and thus you could be hired by one to secretly sabotage the other... or something of the sort)

Also, some sort of quest which could actually affect the game? (Eg. the crypt is mysteriously spreading blight to nearby cities, and if you don't hurry up the Lookout place will be covered in blight and turned into a combat area rather than a town)

As for quests I don't want to see...

Well, no specific types, but try not to have too much repetition in quests (ie. more than a few quests of any type, such as "Kill the big bad boss", gets boring)

PS. Lord Xilik = fail :p

Level 9
There are 4 harbours! pirates are already involved, silithus are ghost pirates too. A trade war is a good idea, might include that sabotage schtuff.

xilik was my attempt to include clan references. xilik is removed, but others have been added such as armentia and xanthius in the quests.

Level 40
Updated the post a bit: didn't expect such a quick reply.

(Including the repetition bit and the game-affecting bit)

And Ah, yes, missed Silithus, but I still only see Silithus, Pallisade, and Rhapala.

EDIT: Oh yeah, Diablo I had a lot of good quests (though II's were worse). Maybe think of grabbing some of them (and adapting if you wish), or if you don't have it, just ask and I'll give you a list.

Last edited:
Level 6
I would like to see minigames as quests and they should require skill to complete them or getting good reward from them.

Level 5
Map looks fricking amazing!! Some LotR quests.... Defend Helms Deep (or make it some kind of defend the base or king quest). Quests where u gota defend a convoy or something similar would be fun. Quests where u gota fight your mirror (like in GW) and a quest where u gota lay siege to a base :)

Status
Not open for further replies.