• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mask of Madness

Status
Not open for further replies.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I'm curious, for all you dota 1 or 2 players out there.
Do you still build mask of madness?

When I played dota 1 lot, like 10 years ago it was a big deal item.
Almost any carry had it, and it was a default for most heavy hitters.
Nowadays though, I barely see it being built. Even when I watch
competitive dota tournaments, nobody is using it.

Idk why is that. The items haven't changed that much in 10 years.
Nor did the dota mechanics. Most of the heroes combos are the same.

Only heroes I know of that kept it as core item are Sven and Mortred.

Can anyone provide a clear answer?

I have no idea what exactly you were basing this post on, but MoM is one of the most (ab)used DPS increasing items. Void, Magnus, Juggernaut, Sven, Sniper, Drow Ranger, and many other hero pickers more often than not - pick it. Even support Venge can be seen picking it for the sake of "let's at least hit shit a bit harder for cheap, while also increasing my mobility".

What you could've seen is that the current meta is not very much in favor of this - the only hero that logically needs MoM in the current meta is Juggernaut - so he can land 13 hits while omnislash is on. At 1800 gold, this item works incredibly well on Juggernaut.

What about other important picks? Sniper will get it too if he's not banned. Void is kinda unpopular lately, Drow is a pub queen, Sven is a VERY situational and rare pick, Magnus will usually play a more supportive role and give a buff to his carry, rather than building his own DPS.

Another very popular hero in this meta is Troll, and he simply does not need MoM by any stretch, he's crazy strong without it, really, but does benefit from early damage and armor from Dominator.

All this being said, MoM IS TRULY OP, and will be nerfed in 6.84 to give only 17% movement speed increase. This makes it much easier for opponents to kite and kill you, so it might be less popular once 6.84 is online.

sentrywiz

S

sentrywiz

I have no idea what exactly you were basing this post on, but MoM is one of the most (ab)used DPS increasing items. Void, Magnus, Juggernaut, Sven, Sniper, Drow Ranger, and many other hero pickers more often than not - pick it. Even support Venge can be seen picking it for the sake of "let's at least hit shit a bit harder for cheap, while also increasing my mobility".

What you could've seen is that the current meta is not very much in favor of this - the only hero that logically needs MoM in the current meta is Juggernaut - so he can land 13 hits while omnislash is on. At 1800 gold, this item works incredibly well on Juggernaut.

What about other important picks? Sniper will get it too if he's not banned. Void is kinda unpopular lately, Drow is a pub queen, Sven is a VERY situational and rare pick, Magnus will usually play a more supportive role and give a buff to his carry, rather than building his own DPS.

Another very popular hero in this meta is Troll, and he simply does not need MoM by any stretch, he's crazy strong without it, really, but does benefit from early damage and armor from Dominator.

All this being said, MoM IS TRULY OP, and will be nerfed in 6.84 to give only 17% movement speed increase. This makes it much easier for opponents to kite and kill you, so it might be less popular once 6.84 is online.

I based it on the fact that all dota tournaments I watched either on youtube or on twitch, players never picked mask. And it all was very strange for me. That's why.

Status
Not open for further replies.