• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Race Building Contest #3 - Mini Melee Race

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 38
RaceContestBanner.jpg

Race Building Contest
Mini Melee Race

Contest Rules And Conditions
    • No submission may violate any of the site rules.
    • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules the creator will be disqualified.
    • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
    • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
      • Several screenshots of race in action.
      • The file in the appropriate format.
    • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
    • Your submission may not be started before the official launch of the contest.
    • Judges and/or hosts may not participate.
    • Your final submission must be bug free enough to test and play.
    • Teamwork is not allowed.
      • Finding testers to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
    • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited.
    • The features that may be edited are:
      • Gameplay constants
      • Game interface
      • Object editor
      • Trigger editor
    • The map's terrain may not be edited. The current four melee races may not be edited.
    • Participants must download the (to be provided) template map, edit it and then resubmit it as their entry.
    • The resulting map may not exceed 2MB in size.
  • The race must have a unit or building that fits each of these functions:
    • Food Supply
    • Town Hall
    • Defensive Structure
    • Hero Altar
  • The race may not have more than 10 standard units.
  • The race may not have more than 1 hero.
  • The race may not have more than 8 buildings.
  • The race may not have more than 3 types of summoned units and/or wards.
  • The town hall may only have 1 tier.
  • The race may not have more than 20 upgrades.

* Units with alternate forms count as only 1 unit. (Druid of the Claw -> Bear form)
    * Units/building upgraded to gain additional bonuses count as 1 unit. (Watch Tower -> Scout Tower
    * Summoned units and wards that are upgraded through their summoning spell count as 1 summoned unit (spirit wolf -> shadow wolf -> dire wolf)
    * 1 building can fulfill multiple roles (Nerubian Ziggurat is both a food supply and defensive structure)
    * The defensive structure must be a building, though the other building jobs may be fulfilled by units. (Zerg Overlord -> Food Supply)
    * Dummy units do not count towards the unit total.
    * Just because there is a limit to the number of things the race may have does not mean you should fill the maximum of everything, especially upgrades. The Naga only have 7 standard units, 1 hero, 1 summoned unit, 6 buildings, and 6 upgrades. In several cases, less can lead to a cleaner and better submission ;)

Contest Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 40 reputation points and a special award icon
  • Second Place: 20 reputation points
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points

Things to consider for making your submission stand out in a positive way.

Icon Placement
Are the icons arranged logically? Do they correspond to their utility? Do icon borders match their function?

Spelling and grammar
Are tooltips and names spelled correctly? Does written information make sense?

Overall Balance and Gameplay
Are the units balanced enough to offer an enjoyable experience? Are some units more overpowered than they should be?

Resource Economy
Do imported Models, Icons, Skins, Triggers, and Spells complement and fit in well with the race? Were they used to the best of their abilities?

Gestalt
How well does everything work together?
  • 100 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll. Any entry that has attempted to manipulate and skew the pole results will be disqualified.

Contestants

If you would like to enter the contest simply make a post in this thread, stating the information about your entry.

Contestant NameEntry Name

Alagremm
Exiled Ones

Aspard
Goblins

chilla_killa
Fire

Dentothor
Demon

Ghost765
Imperial Regiment

Gyrosphinx
FIST OF TYRRANY

HailFireer
Gnolls

Hevenblood
Divine Humans

Jughead
Blackrock Orcs

Kercyn
The Hivers

Mage_Goo
Harpy/Bird

Martin Barbov
Nerubians

Master of Eagles
Adempet

Mr.Goblin
Tuskarr

Ordworse
Ice Troll

Pharaoh_
Underworld Ghosts

pippo
Trolls

Saia_Djinn
magnatauren

scorpion182
Goblin Pirates

Sean_D-real
Gargantuan Arthropoda

supertoinkz
MechElves

The D3ath
Underworld Legion

The-Rave
swarm race

VeljkoM
Sea Legion or Follower of Leviathan

Wazzz
Forest Trolls

WhitePhoenix
Forgotten Ones/Faceless/Unbroken

Wraithling
Ghosts

Xiliger
Skeletons

xxdingo93xx
Stormseeker

X-OMG-X
Hell

Yayoi
Demon Night Elves

Zpider
Forest Trolls

Contest Dates And Deadline
  • The contest shall begin on October 05, 2009 and conclude on [rainbow]Novemebr 09, 2009 GMT
    Time[/rainbow] (GMT)

The contest is pattered primarily off of the non-melee races that blizzard introduced; the Naga, Blood Elves and Draenei that are accessible in the campaigns (mostly after the naga). The goal of the contest is to create 1 new race that can battle against the existing four melee races, but does not have the same amount of units and buildings, being more of a limited race in terms of unit count. The idea for this contest is admittedly from the WC3 campaigns race building competition, which is largely patterned the same way. With this competition skins, icons, models, spells, and triggers could be implemented in to one collective project, though all are not required to pull it off. It is more of an exercise in using existing resources and the resources that modders specialize in using, giving the freedom to use creative energy to make something playable with the restraints to keep it under control and achievable in a month's time frame.

This contest is by no means a continuation of the contest at WC3campaigns, rather the third incarnation of a contest that has not seen any action at this site for a very long time. This contest was also created without asking permission from the folks at WC3campaings to use their Naga-style race building contest idea, witch I failed to notice as being an original and unique idea until it was brought to my attention (my bad there). Considering the numbers and rules used on this contest asking for permission should have been a priority, but my bad again. Anyways, the contest will go on.

Special thanks to Sean_D-real for the race selection triggers, ask him if you need any help with it ;)

Attachments

• Racebuilding Contest.w3x
    151.9 KB · Views: 408
Last edited:
Level 7
Whelp, i'll be doing the Forgotten Ones/Faceless/Unbroken.

If you have no idea how to use the GUI, here you go:

• Buttons
    • Events
      • Dialog - A dialog button is clicked for Custom_Or_Not
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • If (All Conditions are True) then do (Then Actions) else do (Else Actions)
        • If - Conditions
          • (Clicked dialog button) Equal to Custom_Buttons[1]
        • Then - Actions
          • -------- Replace Units here. --------
          • Unit Group - Pick every unit in (Units owned by (Triggering player)) and do (Actions)
            • Loop - Actions
                • If - Conditions
                  • ((Picked unit) is A town-hall-type unit) Equal to True
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Town Hall using The new unit's default life and mana
                • Else - Actions
                  • Unit - Replace (Picked unit) with a Mur'gul Slave using The new unit's default life and mana
                • If - Conditions
                  • (Race of (Triggering player)) Equal to Undead
                • Then - Actions
                  • Unit - Create 1 Peasant for (Triggering player) at ((Triggering player) start location) facing Default building facing degrees
                • Else - Actions
          • Set tally = (tally + 1)
        • Else - Actions
          • Set tally = (tally + 1)
        • If - Conditions
          • AmntOfPlayers Equal to tally
        • Then - Actions
          • Countdown Timer - Destroy (Last created timer window)
          • Trigger - Turn off Timer <gen>
        • Else - Actions

Below the -- Replace Units Here -- is the If where you replace your town hall and your peon units. There is an additional check if the player uses the undead race, and creates a peasent for that player if he does use it. This can be edited as you wish, removed or what have you, hopefully you just understand how to use it now.

Also, for whatever reason the Naga Town Hall isn't working and brings up a countdown timer telling you to make a Town Hall, so obviously its not registering correctly, just don't use it (unless you can fix it of course).

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Entry Name: Demon Night Elves or something.
Contestant Name: Yayoi
(Just 2 enter didnt start race yet)

Level 9
WOah it finally got hosted, nice one month, since i gotta do some skinning (since it hasnt skin rulez, it will be moslty recolouring

Race: Underworld Legion
Class: Vile Tormentors,Queens of Suffering, Red Demons, Slaves
Contestant Name: The D3ath

every one has wings! even the wings could differ
Bye!

Level 38
ugh i should prolly make a quick tutorial for how to use the race selection trigger
My Entry Race: Gargantuan Arthropoda
^(AKA Giant Bugs)
1 questions. where should we put credits for custom models, etc?

Arthropods are awesome, don't think it would apply to the dune worm though :O

as for the credits, I've seen plenty of ways to put them in the map. One of the most common ways I've seen for a contest like this is to display a timed message at the games start that lists the credits. You could also put them in the map description (if it has enough room), create a quest to show them, etc.

As for voting, I'm not sure how I'm going to implement it. I really like the system over at WC3C, were each voter votes on each submission, ranking them according to one another on how awesome they thought the races were, as well as giving description to what they liked/disliked about the race. The scores are then averaged out and the winner is determined.
I'm not sure what sort of voting system I'll be able to get for this contest, but I'd rather everyone talked about why thy voted they way they did rather than casting a vote for their single favorite entry, which seems to be the system most of the negative feedback about a 100% vote is critiquing.

Level 7
Looks like you need to give us the ability to edit one of the four main Town Halls.

Who else can't get a custom or even Naga town hall to work without getting the reveal countdown timer.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Looks like you need to give us the ability to edit one of the four main Town Halls.

Who else can't get a custom or even Naga town hall to work without getting the reveal countdown timer.

Same problem here

Level 22
No. you dont HAVE to use triggers. The only place where u will absolutely have to is the Custom race picking.

@whitephoenix - thats the point...ur supposed to create a custom town hall, not edit the naga one.

edit: lets just use the Custom Race system from wc3c. its fairly simple.

Level 7
Chrome, either we are able to edit a main town hall, or we just deal with the custom race players becoming visible, or we delete the Victory/Defeat trigger in Melee Initialization.

@Ghost, you're not understanding the problem.

Level 9
wot, since i just noticed the small quantity of units im changing the race

Race: Underworld Legion
Class: Queens of pain,succubus anything related to it (now its just succubus not red demons or else)

BYe =)

im having problems on buildings, i need dark blue ones, i cant find, i think ill use just undead basic buildings but that would affect review =(

Level 38
There are ways to set up custom victory defeat triggers so that you don't get the obnoxious build a town hall timer display window, ways which are slightly beyond my GUI abilities. Of course, this race will mostly be played vs. computer players that know were you are anyways so it isn't much of an issue, at least I wouldn't penalize you for it when voting for your race.

My hope with this contest is that those of you who are good at triggering can help everyone out with some systems that will eliminate things such as the problems listed above.

If anyone uses triggers supplied by someone in this contest be sure to credit them in your map as well ;)

Level 7
Add this code to the map in order to make a quick fix for the victory/defeat. Delete the normal melee init victory/defeat (Not the entire trigger, just the one that controls victory and defeat). Create a Trigger called this exactly: "Victory Defeat" (not including quotations.
and put only this code in there:

JASS:
function Trig_Victory_Defeat_Conditions takes nothing returns boolean
    return IsUnitType(GetTriggerUnit(), UNIT_TYPE_STRUCTURE) == true
endfunction

function Trig_Victory_Defeat_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    local player trig = GetOwningPlayer(GetTriggerUnit())
    local player death = GetOwningPlayer(GetDyingUnit())
    local group pg = GetUnitsOfPlayerAll(death)

if CountUnitsInGroup(pg) <= 0 then
            call CustomDefeatBJ(death, "Defeat!")
        endif

if GetPlayers() <= 1 then
            call CustomVictoryBJ(trig, true, true)
        endif

call DestroyGroup(pg)

endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_Victory_Defeat takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_Victory_Defeat = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ( gg_trg_Victory_Defeat, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DEATH )
    call TriggerAddCondition( gg_trg_Victory_Defeat, Condition( function Trig_Victory_Defeat_Conditions ) )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_Victory_Defeat, function Trig_Victory_Defeat_Actions )
endfunction

It removes the reveal completely. If someone else wants to make another that checks for town-hall structures and initiates sight when there aren't any town halls, then feel free, but this'll work for now. Another flaw in this trigger is you have to destroy a building to check for the win condition, it wont be a problem unless you have a plethora of leavers, as well as it doesn't support team-victory.

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

Add this code to the map in order to make a quick fix for the victory/defeat. Delete the normal melee init victory/defeat (Not the entire trigger, just the one that controls victory and defeat). Create a Trigger called this exactly: "Victory Defeat" (not including quotations.
and put only this code in there:

JASS:
function Trig_Victory_Defeat_Conditions takes nothing returns boolean
    return IsUnitType(GetTriggerUnit(), UNIT_TYPE_STRUCTURE) == true
endfunction

function Trig_Victory_Defeat_Actions takes nothing returns nothing
    local player trig = GetOwningPlayer(GetTriggerUnit())
    local player death = GetOwningPlayer(GetDyingUnit())
    local group pg = GetUnitsOfPlayerAll(death)

if CountUnitsInGroup(pg) <= 0 then
            call CustomDefeatBJ(death, "Defeat!")
        endif

if GetPlayers() <= 1 then
            call CustomVictoryBJ(trig, true, true)
        endif

call DestroyGroup(pg)

endfunction

//===========================================================================
function InitTrig_Victory_Defeat takes nothing returns nothing
    set gg_trg_Victory_Defeat = CreateTrigger(  )
    call TriggerRegisterAnyUnitEventBJ( gg_trg_Victory_Defeat, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_DEATH )
    call TriggerAddCondition( gg_trg_Victory_Defeat, Condition( function Trig_Victory_Defeat_Conditions ) )
    call TriggerAddAction( gg_trg_Victory_Defeat, function Trig_Victory_Defeat_Actions )
endfunction
It removes the reveal completely. If someone else wants to make another that checks for town-hall structures and initiates sight when there aren't any town halls, then feel free, but this'll work for now. Another flaw in this trigger is you have to destroy a building to check for the win condition, it wont be a problem unless you have a plethora of leavers, as well as it doesn't support team-victory.

And if you dont know how to put that stuff in a trigger?

(just tried didnt do anything)

Status
Not open for further replies.