• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Windows 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
they did say they will rework metro ui and introduce metro ui 2.0, but no mention of the lassic shell. If they force metro again, im switching to linux.

Otherwise I just hope they improve the interface, because win8 had some absurdly bad UI decisions, for example the moronic way to shutdown your pc.

Level 22
I guess they designed the UI considering the prevalence of touchscreen enabled devices, but for desktop computer users, I guess that wouldn't work because the mouse is still the preferred input device (? or maybe not ?), aside from the keyboard. I mean with the mouse, you got other hand free for... Oh wait... I mean a lot of people are used to using it.

EDIT: I think it would be a good move for MS to add a simple dashboard/taskbar that holds system configuration settings, which would always be on screen.

Level 22
Let's hope MS learned their lesson. Still, I think the old UI shouldn't be thrown away, they should've just complemented it with touch input.

I really wish microsoft just made a tutorial with all the common problems explained in it.
They also shouldn't have forced the apps on the start menu as a default setup.
Basicaly noone knows the point in them and even how to use them... Or even if they have any point.

Once I set up everything and got used to it, I felt(and still do) like I could never go back... But that is just me I guess.

It was my understanding that they would revert a lot of the changes they made in Windows 8.
Quite frankly, I'm the user they were targeting. I'm way too satisfied with the way W8(.1) performs and where everything is.

This is what my metro screen looks like.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bwj338o5eerttmk/Screenshot 2014-04-10 18.03.29.png
I don't shut down my computer, I only put it to sleep when I need to move it or am not going to use it. Instant boot, etc.
Ribbon helps me, and I don't use the desktop at all.

Fact: I haven't used the desktop for a year.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/76iysf41dr4noo9/Screenshot 2014-04-10 18.04.53.png

Level 29
What a messy window.

How exactly can you not use "desktop" though? do you never browse through files on your computer?

Or if you mean having 700 shortcuts on the desktop, that's largely people being messy or incompetent (and they would have the same in Metro).

Windows 8.1's Metro STILL can't properly align things though. It forces you to put things in a one sided pyramid rather than straight columns, way to go for graphical design.
And then there are weird things like the Firefox icon suddenly not wanting to show up (that's the left top blank blue tile).

Attachments

• metro.jpg
    metro.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 105
Level 15
We probably will since Intel is getting serious with newest baytrail atom cpus which can run both android and windows (x86 for now).

Level 15
I'll stick to windows because I actually need other apps besides apache, mysql and a calculator.

Not to mention gaming is a wreck on linux. So yeah, not any time soon.

Level 4
I'll stick to windows because I actually need other apps besides apache, mysql and a calculator.

Not to mention gaming is a wreck on linux. So yeah, not any time soon.

welp decent rebuttal --

but development works hot in linux -- like i get latest stuff unless you want easy things like xCode and LiveCode or whatever hand-holding IDE you need

gaming isn't a problem for me -- i can install all my games: Counter Strike, GW2, Half Life 2, Civ 5, etc. on my computer. Some natively, others not so much.

Level 29
I've been saying this for years, but here goes again - until Linux drops X11, it's not worth using.
As far as my experience with Linux goes, the benefits are apt, and the fact that shared libraries are really shared.
Pretty much everything else is worse than Windows.

Level 4
I've been saying this for years, but here goes again - until Linux drops X11, it's not worth using.
As far as my experience with Linux goes, the benefits are apt, and the fact that shared libraries are really shared.
Pretty much everything else is worse than Windows.

Linux is certainly a tool. If you want a toy that comes with little assembly, Windows should suffice.

I don't understand your x11 comment. XP used x. Your argument against x11 sounds as silly as Minix argument that micro-processors are the future; therefore, Linux is obsolete. Not true! ~ Actually, Linux has been branching out. If you like major distros, Ubuntu 15.04 is planning to release Mir, going away from x11. We conventional users don't particularly like this (and thus don't use Ubuntu).

But why change something that works well?

The benefits reach beyond apt. If you prefer to have someone do your computing for you -- then perhaps Linux isn't ideal. Linux is a tool, mostly just a tool. You can program on it -- port it to different CPUs, and use it for other things that are mostly utilitarian.

Oh and you can play Warcraft III.

Level 29
X11 is the reason Linux is so bad at graphics, and it isn't at all useful by the year 2014 (and probably hasn't been useful for the past 10+ years either).
You change something that works to get something that works better.

I don't know how Windows "does your computing for you" and Linux doesn't, what on earth is that even supposed to mean?

Here's a big surprise for you - you can program on Windows too! And another surprise - it also has better IDEs (but I bet you like using terrible 1980 styled text editors with no GUI and writing complex makefiles for any remotely complex project).

But really, the thing I like the most with the Linux community is how you need to manually compile every second god damn thing you want to install, and how most of the time the things you need to compile have errors in them.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Ubuntu 15.04
Ubuntu sucks. Its windows manager seems to do everything different just so they can say "Hay, it annoys the heck out of you but look, we think it is better!". It also is the only OS where you can lock yourself out of being an administrator permanently when installing it (I had to reinstall it...).

There are a ton of better versions of Linux out there, Ubuntu just is not one of them. In fact half the reason people hate Linux so much is likely down to Ubuntu.

The benefits reach beyond apt. If you prefer to have someone do your computing for you -- then perhaps Linux isn't ideal. Linux is a tool, mostly just a tool. You can program on it -- port it to different CPUs, and use it for other things that are mostly utilitarian.
You? Most of the work being done on Linux is companies like apache and oracle who only give you the code for free because they use it to save costs on their billions of dollars worth of servers they own. Sure you can port it and can improve it but most of the commits you see are from people who are paid to do so by companies who have made Linux a key part of their infrastructure of commercial model.

Only on x86 processors with some kind of Windows/Mac component emulation. Even then you need to run in OpenGL mode for best compatibility.

The problem with Linux is that its window management system is just... Shit...

Disappearing folders due to no refresh? Yup common place in Linux. Unresponsive window interaction that makes a high end 2010 system behave like it is from 1998? Yup Linux manages that. Dozens of hidden files everywhere on the volume every time you do something with windows? Yup Linux makes those. Windows that tear, display visual glitches and even fail to refresh? Yes that is Linux...

Using it from a command line perspective is great. The inbuilt GNU C/C++ compiler makes programming so easy. However using it for anything graphical and the thing sadly starts to fall apart with poor responsiveness, annoying interactions (no confirmation a click registers and multiple presses register in parallel), visual artefacts, bugs, overall pain....

I cannot comment on OpenGL and how well it performs. Apparently not that well though as the way the commands are processed is great for servers and things but I hear makes a lot of overhead. One can be sure that it will struggle to perform like DirectX12 will, but maybe OpenGL will fight back next year with an equivalent for D3D12.

When writing software I would not ignore Linux and try and make as much code portable to it even if not all the code is. However if you are trying to write proper user orientated programs (not development or programmer related) then Windows or Mac is the way to go at the moment.

but I bet you like using terrible 1980 styled text editors with no GUI and writing complex makefiles for any remotely complex project).
You can use eclipse you know... It is cross platform for a reason... Only let down is the visual bugs as a result of the damn windows management system.

Level 15

Yes. That is a turning point. I bought my 2K$+ rig so I can play a 10 years old game (of which Im pretty sure, most people are already sick of).

Now try running something like Planetside 2 or Natural Selection 2 on a linux machine, you'll see that there is no serious gaming on linux. Or run Metro Last Light and Crysis 3, that should be amusing to watch. Yeah, as I said, not anytime soon. Luckily enough Valve might change that with SteamOS, then we will only need to wait for the developers to port their games to linux. Oh wait, that's right, it costs money.

Oh right, I almost forgot. What about the apps I "need". Welp, I didn't hear of CATIA, Solidworks, Autodesk Inventor or 3DS Max get ported to linux, so yeah.

No.

Linux is not for everyone, Ubuntu is not for anyone. I had enough of its driver failiures and obnoxious UI. But I admit, linux (not ubuntu) is good for web servers and minecraft servers.

Linux is good for users unless they want to do some serious stuff... but if ur just gonna watch movies and browse the web, and find a computer without pre-installed OS then installing Linux (even ubuntu) might be a nice idea to reduce costs... Else, windows or mac

though I'm curious as to why the discussion went this way... we're really quite off-track here

Level 34
Windows should just revert back to using only DOS. Run everything by command. Think about the money everyone would save on mice!

Status
Not open for further replies.