• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Upgrading my old machine with a new mainboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys!

I want to upgrade my machine with a new mainboard, new RAM, an SSD and a new CPU. So basicly, a total makeover. I don't want to trash my whole computer for environmental reasons, also, I figured it will be cheaper just to upgrade instead of buying new, as my GPU is still doing damn fine nowadays, my power supply has been replaced recently and ... well ... I like the chassis.
So much for my reasoning.

But I want to keep as much of my data as I can intact. If possible, I would like not having to re-install most of the games I installed to the data partition (I have a very old HDD with a 50GB partition for W7 and a 200GB partition for all data and games).
Of course, the new OS (upgrading from W7 32bit to W7 64bit) will go on the SSD, not on the C: partition.

So this is what I planned so far:
Replace the mainboard, connect all the components and the SSD, format the C: partition of the HDD, leaving the data partition (D:) alive and then install the new OS on the 250GB SSD, leaving the old C: partition for other stuff.

So on to my questions:

1. Are there any things I need to check first, before replacing the hardware? Should I eliminate all drivers like mainboard/CPU drivers before or will formatting C: be enough (to avoid driver corpses)?
  2. How will the partitions be handled if I want to install my new OS on the SSD?
  3. It would make sense to have the SSD as the new C: partition and the former OS partition a new E: partition. Can I pull this off without formating the D: partition I have all my data on?
  4. Do I have to change BIOS settings for my new mainboard to accept my old HDD?
  5. Is it likely that software I installed on the D: partition still works after this? It would be cool if I wouldn't need to re-download modern 30GB games and re-install all my working software like Photoshop or 3ds max. Remember that I make the switch to a 64bit OS.

Any useful input appreciated!

Level 29
1. The old Windows installation wont affect anything, you don't even need to delete it if you don't care about the wasted memory.
2. ↓
3. The letters aren't an attribute of the hard drives or the partitions, they are Windows giving your partitions names. Your system partition is always C:/, and the rest are given other letters as Windows loads them. All the non-system partitions can be renamed with different letters if you so desire through Windows.
4. Why would you need to do anything?
5. The issue with software (games included) is that, for some reason, people think it's okay to stick local data in the registry, instead of the software's location. This is the main cause that things stop working when you reformat your OS, change HDDs, etc.
If something will work is entirely dependent on how much garbage it put in the registry, and how/if it can handle the lack of said garbage in the registry
You will need to check every program and game.
The fact that you are installing a 64bit OS shouldn't matter, since it can run 32bit code natively too.

Level 16
I want to upgrade my machine with a new mainboard, new RAM, an SSD and a new CPU. So basicly, a total makeover. I don't want to trash my whole computer for environmental reasons, also, I figured it will be cheaper just to upgrade instead of buying new, as my GPU is still doing damn fine nowadays, my power supply has been replaced recently and ... well ... I like the chassis.

And some people still find it hard to understand that something with individual serviceable parts does help the environment. I tried to explain this point when they were inventing a phone which allowed you to change each component separately. Everyone seemed completely baffled by the idea.

So, I did the hardware migration yesterday (connecting the front-panel stuff was the hardest part due to unlabelled connectors). I also decided to completely format the whole HDD and re-partition it. As most software would stop working anyway due to missing registry entries, I had no reason not to wipe it entirely.

However, I forgot to buy screws for the SSD. Why they aren't included is beyond me.

And there was another thing I didn't think of: my age old DVD drive has an IDE connection, but new mainboards don't support IDE anymore.
So I have to go buy a new drive aswell. Sheesh. Adds another 20$ and fuel wasted.

So in the end, the only stuff that I could keep was my GPU, HDD, chassis, soundcard and power supply. Still totally worth it!

And some people still find it hard to understand that something with individual serviceable parts does help the environment. I tried to explain this point when they were inventing a phone which allowed you to change each component separately. Everyone seemed completely baffled by the idea.
Yeah... I still also find it hard to understand why so many people, despite never moving it out of their room, buy laptops instead of desktop PCs. Not only are they much cheaper, faster and have less thermal issues, but they are also easily servicable (and can be cleaned easily). I always convince friends that ask me what laptop would be the best for them to go for a desktop PC, unless they really need a portable system.

A mobile with replacable parts? I'd so buy that shit!

Level 15
SSD usually dont come with screws because you can blatantly leave them hanging in the case. They aren't sensitive to vibrations like HDDs are.

You might also want to compare the integrated soundcard on your new mobo and the soundcard you're reusing, mostly because integrated soundcards are getting better.

Level 34
SSD usually dont come with screws because you can blatantly leave them hanging in the case. They aren't sensitive to vibrations like HDDs are.

You might also want to compare the integrated soundcard on your new mobo and the soundcard you're reusing, mostly because integrated soundcards are getting better.
They also don't always fit well into HDD slots in cases. You can get holders for them, but as Velm said, they really don't need to be all that secure.

I just visited a store and bought a holder for the SSD. I don't like unsecured parts.

My soundcard alone costs more than the motherboard, I think it's safe to assume it's better. ;)
I'm an audiophile and do a lot of recording and need the digital inputs.

Anyways, the rebuild of the system is done now. First day with my new SSD and it's totally awesome. Takes only 6 seconds to fully boot the system!

Level 34
I still have a habit of turning on my computer and leaving until it's started. When I actually sit down and wait, I'm always pleasantly surprised. The biggest thing for me is that I can open Firefox before any pre-set programs launch (steam, f.lux, etc.). When that desktop appears, she's ready to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.