• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

sc2 pc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
Hehe, I didn't realise this was a sub-forum in off-topics, so I posted this originally in sc2 forum :S sorry for any inconvenience moderators :bored:

But anyway:

I'm making a new pc and want it to run sc2. This is the first time I've tried making a new pc and although I will have help assembling it I am not 100% sure that my chosen parts will be capable of running sc2.

I know this is a wc3 forum (not a pc building site) and all but I don't belong to any other forums and am sure there will be one or two expierienced rig makers on this site.

Any help is really appreciated!

Here is the build:

Intel Core i5 750 2.66GHz Socket LGA1156 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor 172755 192

ASUS P7P55D iP55 Socket LGA 1156 8 channel audio ATX Motherboard 173451 20

Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz/PC3-12800 XMS3 i5 Memory Kit CL9

Corsair 650W TX Series PSU - 120mm Fan, 80+% Efficiency, Single +12V Rail 135514

Pioneer BDC-202 Blu-Ray Reader 12X DVD±RWDL/RAM SATA Black - OEM 130747

Samsung HD103SJ Spinpoint F3 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 32MB Cache - OEM 173804 1027

XFX HD 4870 512MB GDDR5 Dual DVI HDTV Out PCI-E Graphics Card 169206 58

Startech DVI To VGA Adapter F/M 141106 11

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium - Licence and media - 1 PC - OEM - DVD - 64-bit - English 173791 114

Xilence Red Wing 120mm Quiet Fan - 3&4pin connection 138586 165

Enermax Magma 80mm Fan with Batwing blades 150437 21

So simply is this all I need (+ a case ofc) and will it run sc2 on max settings?

Any advice, comments are gratefully received :D

And just incase anyone was wondering it totals up to about £850? Maybe slightly less... including the case: A JEANTECH UNICORN, which I already have.

Thanks in advance :smile:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

I would consider finding a more powerful CPU.

To answer the original question, yeah, extremely likely that you'll be able to run SC2 very good with that stuff. I doubt it'll have a lot more requirements than many of the games out today, and that stuff should run it just fine.

Anyway, 2.66Ghz is (IMO) fine, I run stuff with it pretty good, plus apparently with that amount of ghz, you don't need to synch it (?). With that stuff you're having there though, a better processor apparently wouldn't be a problem.
IDK, some people swear on ATI, but usually, I prefer nVidia, your choice though. Of course, your motherboard is apparently quad-XFire compatible, so I suppose that's a better choice. Might do a 2 card set up, if your money reaches, and if you actually want that much.

Level 20
Thanks all so much for the advice =) I chose the i5 because I can't really afford an i7 but would to easily upgrade to one in the future (they use the same CPU socket), my budget is really £800 or below.

I was also contemplating the 4890, £60 more but 1gb of ddr5 :/ might do that...
As for overclocking and XFire, maybe in the future :p But the general idea is to get one that will run sc2 and upgrade when necessary :)

Thanks ever so much again for all your help, +rep to all :grin:

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

Wand, why'd you buy a card for 30 dollars more if they run just as fast
I mean, ram has to mean for something

RAM doesn't speed things up, it just enables you to do more at once - in a sense. You can store more in the semi-quick storage, so you don't have to fetch files from the HDD (slow-storage) all the time.

Level 27
Thanks all so much for the advice =) I chose the i5 because I can't really afford an i7 but would to easily upgrade to one in the future (they use the same CPU socket), my budget is really £800 or below.

I was also contemplating the 4890, £60 more but 1gb of ddr5 :/ might do that...
As for overclocking and XFire, maybe in the future :p But the general idea is to get one that will run sc2 and upgrade when necessary :)

Thanks ever so much again for all your help, +rep to all :grin:

Lol 60 pounds? Just compare this and this!

This 1gb card is even a bit faster and has twice the RAM memory the other one has, and it only costs 30 euros more. Join the EU xD

Wand, why'd you buy a card for 30 dollars more if they run just as fast
I mean, ram has to mean for something

Well euhm sometimes 512 mb card and 1 gb card are equal at specifications except for the RAM memory, and if it only costs a little bit more like i showed you above then why not buy the 1 gb edition?

And btw yeah, SC2 doesn't require a next-gen pc to run properly.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

SC2 will hardly need a next gen system to run, the above specs should run most of it fine.

Like with WC3, some "noob" will make crappy map which will lag, but even on an I7 OCed that may be the case so do not worry.

Age of Myths lags on my rig- 3.1GHz Quad Core Intel Q9550, 4GB RAM, nVidia GTX280. Just stating an example. I don't know how experienced the guy who made it is, but it sure as hell must have some bad coding.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Well the fact it runs only on 1 core does not help (WC3 uses only 1/4 of your processor for quad cores). That combined with poorly made code will easilly lag as that thread is running the whole game engine as well.

SC2 will have some threading so it should be less prone to such lag, but still it will be possible for poor map makers to create laggy maps (especially if they leak like WC3 was able to).

Level 20
Well the fact it runs only on 1 core does not help (WC3 uses only 1/4 of your processor for quad cores). That combined with poorly made code will easilly lag as that thread is running the whole game engine as well.

SC2 will have some threading so it should be less prone to such lag, but still it will be possible for poor map makers to create laggy maps (especially if they leak like WC3 was able to).

Yes I see what you mean :/.
As for sc2, I also seem to recall some confirmation of a 'garbage' bin or collector etc... To theoretically make sc2 leak free.

Hope it works! :)

Level 7
I found this somewhere:

Minimum System Requirements:

* Graphics Card: GeForce 7/8 Series or Radeon 1000/2000 with 256 MB RAM
* CPU: Pentium 4
* RAM: 1 GB
* Internet: ADSL 1 Mbit

Recommended System Requirements:

* Graphics Card: GeForce 8000 or Radeon 2000 Series with 512 MB RAM
* CPU: Core 2 Duo or Athlon X2
* RAM: 2 GB
* Internet: ADSL 3 Mbit

Optimal System Requirements

* Graphics Card: GeForce 9000's or Radeon 3000's series
* CPU: Core 2 Duo 3 GHz or Athlon X2
* RAM: 2GB with DualChannel mode

between minimum and recommended with your cpu.
I'm completely in optimal with my pc :p. (600 € it was, 0,5 year ago)

Level 13
I hope I can run it with my computer...

AMD Phenom X4 9350e (2.0ghz)
XFX GeForce GTS 250 1GB
2GB Ram...

Only thing that bothers me.. I think I should need to Windows 7 from Windows XP because I can use only half of my CPU power with XP, and with Windows 7 I could upgrade to 8GB Ram.. But that's gonna be expensive >_<

I can get only 30FPS in Crysis with DirectX 9c bugged very high settings... but I think SC2 will be lil' bit less stiff stuff than Bugged Crysis

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Those are totally fake, SC2 will not need 1-3 mbit internet, as then no one in the UK could play it as we get only a few Kbit UL and barly 1 Mbit DL. It goes to show that people invent totally usless values without any evidence.

SC2 will need atleast a dual core, reason for this is simple. All games need a dual core minimum nowdays (all main stream ones) and RTS are notorious for high CPU requirements. Also as it uses havok physics, the extra thread power will definatly yield preformance (single cores with HT could possiably work if OCed to the 4 GHz range).
1 GB free RAM, as games are around that size nowdays and I do not see SC2 being particually a RAM hog, it will probably need less infact but spair is good for custom games (as some people will mess up and somehow use insane memory). With vista or 7, I would say a minimum of 2GB would garuntee it running, for optimum preformance and play I would advise 4GB+ (as the additional caching of game resources will probably help).
Graphically, I would say a high end geforce 7 card will be enough (afterall that is what the PS3 uses and it is able to do amazing graphics), anything better will definatly work and I would advise a 8800 atleast (again noobs custom games could push it well past the requirements).
Internet wise, I would imagine the traffic being only slightly larger than WC3 (50% odd atmost) as RTS games are hardly bandwith hogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.