• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Mini-Mapping Contest #12: Organisation - The Poll

Vote for your favorite Mini-Mapping Contest #12 entry!

• [url="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2753562-post169.html"]bear_369[/url]

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • [url="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2753832-post171.html"]Kino[/url]

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • [url="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2753843-post172.html"]DEE-BOO[/url]

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • [url="http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/2753993-post174.html"]Tickles[/url]

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

mini-.png
mapping.png
contest.png
number.png
1.png
2.png

poll.png

event-organisation.jpg

Organisation
Contestants were to organize/grow something to make it better until certain goal condition has met (e.g. building (growing) civilization / kingdom / company / industry / anything).

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• Each user can only vote once in the poll.
  • You cannot vote for yourself. If a voter has the same IP as the author then the vote will not be counted and it may result in the disqualification of the entry.
  • You cannot create multiple accounts to vote for an entry in the poll. If a voter has been found to be using multiple accounts, none of the voters' votes will count in the final result.
  • You cannot bribe users for votes. Contestants who break this rule will be disqualified and given negative reputation.

prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon
  • All other participants, including judges: 5 reputation points

judges.png

• eubz
  • Daffa the Mage

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Originality
Does the entry bring any new ideas to the table? This may include gameplay mechanics, genre or different iterations of an existing concept.25%

Gameplay
The fun factor: Does the whole package create an enjoyable experience for the player?
e.g. Are the spell effects satisfying, is there replayability, is the plot compelling, ...?
25%

Theme
Does the entry conform to the contest's assigned theme 'Organisation'?20%

Aesthetics
The beauty of the map: how well-made is above all the terrain?
This includes the right choice of doodads for the theme of the environment, the lighting, the proper use of imported models, etc.
Overall, the visuals of the map are judged in this category, thus the terrain and, additionally, the spell effects, the atmosphere of the map (which may include the use of an atmospheric soundtrack), etc.
15%

Triggers/Performance
Does the map run well performance-wise?
Factors which influence this category are: efficiency of the triggers/coding, memory leaks, etc.
10%

Polishing
Does the map have a title, an in-game description, a quest log?
Is the in-game text clear to read (this may include proper use of colors)?
Are there assigned hotkeys for skills and are they easy to use?
Are the hero/skill tooltips clean and easy on the eyes?
If custom icons were used, were their counterparts (e.g. 'DISBTN', etc.) properly imported?
5%
  • 65% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 35% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

Assigned moderator: StoPCampinGn00b

Last edited by a moderator:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

Which is why you join first, and then apply as a judge when you officially drop out.
I kind of did that, I said I joined and then I was busy with other stuff and became judge :)

Level 28
My vote will certainly go to Kino!

Kino's map Paradise v0.1 got me because it has the most important things (imo): fun, immersion and replayability. Even though Doodlecraft was certainly the most outside-of-the box entry in this contest and sure is very high quality game - it has a polished execution, it is entertaining and so so cute!

I loved every single aspect of it! The idea of murlocs/mur'guls surviving in an island for generations, the mechanics, the way he colored the in-game texts so you intuitively knows what are them about, the personal characteristcs that the creatures have and maybe their offspring will have them too, some surprises that come up along the game (like the elder thing), the poetic quotes through the game, the lovely terrain (nice placement of stones mimmicking basalts btw), etc.

Most importantly, it has a lot of replay value, I've played it around 5 times already and I'm still willing to play more, since it is difficult to master. If I were to point something bad in it that would be: maybe it is a little too hard. Like, too many agressive creatures I guess. But then, maybe that difficulty level was the author's intention, idk.

Congratulations for the good work!

Last edited:

Deleted member 238226

D

Deleted member 238226

i choose tickles. his map is really insteresting and totally different from the other contesttant map.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 10
Lol wut, I actually got votes? I just wanted the 5 participation rep lol. Well I guess since there is only 4 participants, I'm bound to get a vote...
Tickles definitely has this in the bag and Kino is going to be 2nd :L I wish your map wasn't so hard Kino, I can't make it past 2 timers :L Doodlecraft is fuking savage, the red isn't the peon's team colour, it's his blood.

Level 28
Lol wut, I actually got votes? I just wanted the 5 participation rep lol. Well I guess since there is only 4 participants, I'm bound to get a vote...
Tickles definitely has this in the bag and Kino is going to be 2nd :L I wish your map wasn't so hard Kino, I can't make it past 2 timers :L Doodlecraft is fuking savage, the red isn't the peon's team colour, it's his blood.

As you get used to it you start advance more through the seasons... I already got season 5 (or was it 4?) so far, but I haven't found the time to play thaat much yet.

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
Operation ASSAULT: Interesting idea, but pathing is detracting from the game, balance feels poor, skills are lackluster, and ending was unexciting. Theme is unrelated.

Paradise: Really fantastic design and idea. I love it, and think it fits the theme the best by far. I found it a little bit frustratingly difficult. Enemies felt too unpredictable, and new seasons were impossible to understand without having experienced them before, so I think that dynamic was a nice idea but a little aggressive. I felt like adults offspring didn't inherit their traits in a predictable way. Basically, I would expect that having a stable cohort would yield increasingly stable offspring, in terms of traits. In about half an hour I managed to restart the game nearly 10 times. Adding in-game restart would be nice. I think this game could also be fun with two players who are sort of independently surviving the seasons. I think you should continue with this project. I might even be willing to help out :)

Monster Zoo: This is a really cool and really nice idea. I LOVE it - I was laughing out loud on a few occasions. I wish you had taken the time to polish it a little more. The tranquilizer darts were very unwieldy, and visitor pathing makes being the zookeeper very frustrating, which is a fixable problem. There was also a bug where one of my gates couldn't be opened, which mad me lose motivation to continue. I think you should continue with this project.

Doodlecraft: very cute. Everything seems very well polished, especially the cinematic. I appreciated the humor in your character design and dialogue. I couldn't finish the game because, after completing the objective to get increased warehouse supply, I was still limited to 100 ink points, so I was stuck in deadlock. I also think other maps fit the theme much better.

Overall, amazing contest entries. My vote goes to Kino for the best balance of fun, design, and theme.

Level 14
Operation ASSAULT: Interesting idea, but pathing is detracting from the game, balance feels poor, skills are lackluster, and ending was unexciting. Theme is unrelated.

Paradise: Really fantastic design and idea. I love it, and think it fits the theme the best by far. I found it a little bit frustratingly difficult. Enemies felt too unpredictable, and new seasons were impossible to understand without having experienced them before, so I think that dynamic was a nice idea but a little aggressive. I felt like adults offspring didn't inherit their traits in a predictable way. Basically, I would expect that having a stable cohort would yield increasingly stable offspring, in terms of traits. In about half an hour I managed to restart the game nearly 10 times. Adding in-game restart would be nice. I think this game could also be fun with two players who are sort of independently surviving the seasons. I think you should continue with this project. I might even be willing to help out :)

Monster Zoo: This is a really cool and really nice idea. I LOVE it - I was laughing out loud on a few occasions. I wish you had taken the time to polish it a little more. The tranquilizer darts were very unwieldy, and visitor pathing makes being the zookeeper very frustrating, which is a fixable problem. There was also a bug where one of my gates couldn't be opened, which mad me lose motivation to continue. I think you should continue with this project.

Doodlecraft: very cute. Everything seems very well polished, especially the cinematic. I appreciated the humor in your character design and dialogue. I couldn't finish the game because, after completing the objective to get increased warehouse supply, I was still limited to 100 ink points, so I was stuck in deadlock. I also think other maps fit the theme much better.

Overall, amazing contest entries. My vote goes to Kino for the best balance of fun, design, and theme.

Thanks for your feedback on mine. My map really messed up and I came with a really wrong idea.

Level 11
Let me go ahead and say I genuinely hate BB code, so this isn't the best looking review you've seen. I spent the better part of tonight playing the maps and writing some stuff. Please let me know if you need me to elaborate on anything. Honestly I don't have anything bad to say about these maps guys, but I did want to leave some constructive criticism.

My Reviews

Operation ASSAULT by Bear_369

Theme: 8/20
While this map may somewhat count as organisation, I feel like there is a lot missing as far as the "growth" and oranization aspect goes and I think it fits under other categories better than it does Organisation. With that being said, the only thing I can really see as growth/orgainizing is the upgrade aspect of your troops, and there doesn't seem to be much else in those regards.

Originality: 10/25
I can see some sparks for where this could be an interesting game with some more improvements and additional features.
While the Capture and Hold Objectives isn't necesarilly a "new" idea, you do have a unique approach as to how you are supposed to play.

Gameplay: 12/25
I was testing this alone, so I will keep that in mind, as this would likely be more fun with more players. As far as gameplay itself, it felt lacking of content and relatively slow paced. There wasn't enough unit variety strategize and build around in my opinion. I also didn't really get a sense of reward for capturing sectors, and felt like there could have been more than just capture it and defend it. Other than it giving you more food for more troops, and gold income, it seemed rather useless. Some things I disliked are: the use of the same model for marines and the Hero; the collision size of the units; not enough variety in gameplay.

Aesthetics: 10/15
I actually like the symmetry and simple terrain you have going here - my only complaint is the actual pathing size of the fortress (tying in with the collision size). Overall, I didn't think it looked bad, but on the other hand, it wasn't a beautifully terrained map either.

Triggers/Performance: 10/10
I didn't run into any game breaking bugs and everything runs fine as far as I can tell. Browsing through your triggers, nothing really bad jumps out.

Polish: 5/5
Nothing relatively bad to say here, the text colors are well implemented and tooltips are readable. Overall everything looks decent enough and your menus are relatively easy to navigate/ figure out what's going on. Some Minor Complaints are a few grammar errors which I won't hold against you.

Total Score: 55/100

Final Thoughts:
Your map has decent terrain and aesthetics but felt lacking in the actual gameplay/content (variety in strategy) category.
I will say your map does have potential and I think as it stands could be a fun for a group of friends.
It doesn't fit the theme as well as some other entries but overall is an ok map that I encourage you to continue to work on as it could be a really fun map with more work/content.

Paradise by Kino

Theme: 16/20
This map fits the theme quite well, as you definitely have to organise and grow your little murloc community but that's MUCH easier said than done. I do feel that it's a bit repetitive at times though and the theme seems to be Kill, Eat, Kill, Eat, Kill, Eat and am left with wanting more to do.

Originality: 18/25
Well...this was definitely... different. I actually wasn't sure what to expect with this map but I will say I can't really recall playing a map like it. (the closest thing I can come up with is Hungry Hungry Hippos...) Actually, it somewhat reminds of the age old warcraft map Darwins Island in a way.

Gameplay: 18/25
This has a lot of great things going for it, yet the island is so relentless it makes me want to rage quit at times. I think what could make it better is maybe starting you off in a relatively safe area with easier food and then through just sheer needing food, then forces you to move inward to the interior of the island after you've exhausted those resources. Where there's more food to sustain your population there's also more danger. I can kind of see how you started the murlocs in a safe spot, but it felt like pretty much any direction killed me quickly, probably because every other species ONLY hated murlocs but didn't care about each other (racist bastards). The gameplay almost felt too fast paced and my murlocs died so quickly, making feel like I didn't really have much of a chance against anything other than crabs and chickens. It almost felt impossible to get past 3 seasons.
One season I actually did quite well and then my eggs hatched around some very angry island inhabitants that killed my little murlocs pretty much immediately. As far as feeding goes, why are my murlocs SO DAMN HUNGRY? They just ate like 4 chickens and 3 crabs and still are losing health like there's no tomorrow - literally. The random seasons are a really nice touch and I do like the underlying systems you've created at play.

While I nitpick at the above, theres a possibilty it's the player and not the game... I'm a very bad murloc breeder...
Overall though there's a lot to like about this map and I can see some pretty cool things at play here, well done.

Aesthetics: 13/15
The Island itself is quite pretty and feels/looks alive. I quite liked the terrain work at display here.

Triggers/Performance: 10/10
Nothing to report, everything ran fine in my playthroughs.

Polish: 5/5
Tooltips and such are easy to read and everything is easy to understand. Though, I think I would personally prefer 'Eat' to have the Z hotkey instead of Q but I'm weird.

Total Score: 80/100

Final Thoughts:
I think this is a pretty great map you have here and could be a really fun little single player game if you decided to keep adding to it. It's a map where I don't feel the need for other players and can enjoy with just myself, which is kind of rare in Warcraft. The atmosphere is nice and there's some cool elements at play (Random Seasons/Traits/etc). I hope you continue to work on it and I feel adding some more game modes IE Hardcore/Sandbox/Casual etc could add even more fun.

Monster Zoo by DEE-BOO

Theme: 18/20
I think you did a very good job at nailing the theme here, well done.

Originality: 18/25
This isn't really an incredibly unique concept all in itself (Zoo-Tycoon) but It is quite unique for Warcraft - especially the systems you have at work. It's a pretty refreshing idea for the most part and you have some creative things in the map as well as some cool mechanics involved.

Gameplay: 20/25
I really like what you have here. From the visiting AI to the actual capturing of creatures there's a lot of cool things involved, but the map size does seem excessively big and barren/emptyat parts (see Aesthetics). It was easy to figure out how to play and understand what my goal was. I can see some more cool things that you can do in the future as far as adding more creatures, Rare creatures, etc. Nice Work!

Aesthetics: 5/15
I was able to figure out things relatively quickly because of how you designed your map. You can get an idea of what types of areas/creatures the map has in store from the minimap. The zoo placement and the towns/shops make sense and served it's purpose, but the terrain itself definitely needs work. You could really use some doodads, shrubs, and tile varation to bring your environment to life. I won't lecture you, but you should look into improving it. (I recall you pointing your terrain out in an earlier post). It also could use some work in the tooltip department, colored text to represent different item uses, ability types etc is always a good thing :)

Triggers/Performance: 6/10
I feel like you have some of the more complex things happening here (especially considering you made it for 4 people) which kind of hurts you in the end. I seemed to have a bug with the tranquilizer darts. They wouldn't work until after I used my net and kept working until I used my second net, then I was unable to use the darts again. The map is Playable, but could use some tweaking.

Polish: 3/5
Like the above, it could use a bit more polish IE better (colored) tooltips, minor bugfixes, etc but the map can be considered complete and is playable. I think time was your biggest enemy here.

Total Score: 70/100

Final Thoughts:
This map has a lot of potential and is pretty fun all in all. Cool concept and execution. I think you should keep working on making improvements and you could have a really cool map. You have the core features (and hardest parts) already implemented but it just needs some more love and attention to be really great ;)
I want to encourage you to keep working on this map... your "TO DO" List in your triggers is a pretty solid list of things to add... I think you should add implement them. It really does look like your biggest enemy for this contest was time.

Doodlecraft by Tickles

Theme: 17/20
This fits the theme pretty nicely and you have a clear objective of gathering dyes to color the town.

Originality: 25/25
This is damn near a masterpiece. If I wasn't so familar with the warcraft UI I wouldn't know it warcraft III. Really good stuff. The characters you chose and the humor you have here are fantastic. The laugh I got from the Ranger's conversation was priceless... Well played sir, well played.

Gameplay: 17/25
While I love the concept of the 2D flash game and had a great time during my play through (The laughs, oh the laughs... I very much applaud your sense of humor sir.), the overall gameplay is actually kind of lacking when you take a step back and think about it. Sure the actual extraction is pretty cool and probably pretty diffcult to make work in warcraft, but the necesity of it being the center of the entire game is really kind of tedious and eventually boring. I guess while incredibly fun the first play through, I'm not sure if there is real replay factor other than to revisit some of the laughs I had.
Overall though, this is a very, very good map. I hope keep working on this because It's pretty clever and there's some pretty hilarious things in it. I like how they call each other Dood, instead of Dude, Since they are 'Dood'les)

Aesthetics: 15/15
Since most of the aesthetics come from the actual work you put into the town, there isn't much wrong here and everything was neat and clean. I like how you worked all the images together which made it look very pleasant. From the music to just the actual 2D art direction, you made it work. Everything was easy to navigate and read.

Triggers/Performance: 8/10
I know there's some pretty complex things here but I did run into a couple of problems I'd like to point out. It appears the game camera doesn't lock at each scene - I accidentally hit my mouse wheel, which scrolled the camera up breaking all of the immersion I had from playing, which was a bummer because you did a good job with the immersion. Unfortunately even after clicking something to snap back into the correct camera angle, the images started having some clipping issues (mainly the Peon in the extraction room). There was also a bug where after coloring the Shop-Stix, the building just disappeared instead of becoming colored.

Polish: 4/5
Just ran into a few bugs and there were also a few incorrect tooltips. For example on one of the work orders I think it said "Green: 80", but the color of the text was blue :)

Total Score: 86/100

Final Thoughts:
Like I said, this a Damn near masterpiece. I do recommend everyone give it a play through...Especially people who grew up in the 90's. The humor and originality is probably what won my vote. I think gameplay wise, there was less replay value than some of the other maps, but you did a better job drawing me in for that first play-through and overall it made the more complete feeling map. Kudos sir!

My Scores:

• Bear_369 - 55/100
  • Kino - 80/100
  • DEE-BOO - 70/100
  • Tickles - 86/100

My vote goes to Tickles.
I just want to say Good work to everyone, great maps!

Last edited:

Shar Dundred

Community Moderator
Level 72
Everyone calm down now.

Kino, if you can't accept appointed junges, you're free to leave the contest. At least I'd prefer that over nagging around about someone's past judgings and calling it "the worst option". That's just insulting, you should know better than that.

SCN, I'm still a bit pissed at you for simply appointing a replacement without discussing it with me, the host. Yes, you're the mod overseeing the contest, but it's still mine.

Now enough of this.

Level 23
Kino, if you can't accept appointed junges, you're free to leave the contest. At least I'd prefer that over nagging around about someone's past judgings and calling it "the worst option". That's just insulting, you should know better than that.

Ill admit I did step over the line there.
However, this is also a judge that delayed a contest for months because of "computer issues". At that point, I would like to believe that a responsible person would just delegate another judge instead of sitting on it indefinitely.
If the reviews that came out of that were of good quality, I wouldn't be so annoyed. But they were literally a paragraph of "I think this looks cool" which makes it even more of a mockery.

I have no qualms over eubz judging, was just surprised that in order to speed up results, a judge known to delay results was chosen.

Last edited:

Ralle

Owner
Level 77
Hey guys,

SCN is overseeing the contest provided by Shar Dundred. It is SCN's responsibility that the contest does not explode. However, I think it's extremely important that the overseer keeps an open dialog with the host and not interfere unless necessary. In this case, I think it's better to simply tell Shar Dundred: "Hey, I don't feel like I have time to this and would like to pull out, eubz would like to take my place, what do you think?".
If you two can take this in private and decide who becomes the judge and clear the air it would be nice.

Level 32
My apologies for all the confusion and short notice. I need to clear things up. While I did notify Shar Dundred about me having to leave as a judge and simultaneously notified potential judges in the same PM, it was only around half a day before I had eubz be the one who stepped up. I then named him my replacement a few hours later. I can also assure you that there is no bad blood between Shar Dundred and I as one would think, so the contest will be able to continue smoothly. And sorry cokemonkey for the drama being over :)

Status
Not open for further replies.