• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Concept Art Contest #8 - Giants

Status
Not open for further replies.
160036-albums4747-picture59500.png

concept%20art.png
contest.png
number.png
8.png

Jotuns_Giants.jpg

Giants
Contestants are to create a piece of artwork depicting a gigantic being or creature. It can be inspired from ancient mythology as long as it brings something interesting to look at and it's obviously immense in size.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any concept does not fit, a moderator will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • A thumbnail attachment or and image shown with
      tags. Please do not give us a link to a site where the image(s) is/are hosted.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
    • Optional short story/lore behind your chosen entry.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission, before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Teamwork is not allowed, but providing feedback to other contestants is strongly encouraged.
  • Blood, gore, intense violence, and extreme visions of the grotesque are allowed as long as they follow site rules and are within a good level of reason.
  • Backgrounds on concepts where they are not the main focus are allowed so long as they do not detract from the concept.
  • Both traditional and digital media are accepted for this contest.

prizes.png

• First Place: 50 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 35 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 20 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Theme
Does the artist take advantage of the theme, or is the vision unfitting?/10%

Execution
Does the artist display the design in an effective manner, or is it hard to tell what is what? Are artistic techniques used effectively to make the character interesting, or does the style deteriorate the concept? Is the appearance of the design objectively pleasing, or is it of low quality?/25%

Concept
Does the design offer a new creative approach, or is it generic and cliché? Does it have character, or is it just another boring design? Does the design make sense and fit the description, or is it necessary to read the title to understand?/40%

Realism
Does the design balance, or are the proportions impractical? Is the anatomy or construction correct, does it allow the character to move as it should, or is functionality disregarded entirely?/25%
  • 75 % of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judge(s).
  • 25 % of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on April 19th 2016, 15:00 GMT and conclude on May 25th 2016, 17:00 23:59, GMT

Assigned Moderator: Sin'dorei300

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 49
so is the theme restricted to like, the mainstream giants?(the one on the contest preview for example) or are we allowed to make something like a water or airborne creature as long as its a humongous being?

Not at all. The preview is just for the 'show', an example if you can think of. Creativity is greatly encouraged.

Edit: Anyway, the entries are currently listed below.

ContestantEntry
-GrendelClick
RolandClick
NightStalker06698Click
Marcos DABClick
AditTechnoClick
SanClick
MeatmuffinClick
apcrabnightliveClick
xYours TrulyxClick
-Berz-Click
morbentClick
kari0003Click
ColdblowsClick
GunSlingerClick
UgoUgoClick
XxDizzyxXClick
eubzClick
MurlocologistClick
bear_369Click
~NightmareClick
ImadoriClick
Mr.GoblinClick
stein123Click
Windrunner29Click
crabas_saktiClick
NazeClick
NameClick

Last edited:

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 45
Haha, this should be good. Can't think of a Troll "giant", though, so I'm already checked out. xD

//EDIT// Wait, what about a humongous Troll walking mojo-statue, patterned after the Loa and animated by nefarious hexes? Alright, clocking back in. :p

Level 28
A gigantic moose?

A GIGANTIC MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

But seriously, can I draw like a God, a Colossus, a Demonic Ovelord, how broad is it exactly? Is it restricted to gigantic humanoids? It says being. Isn't it too broad then? I can basically draw anything and I just have to multiply the size by X. Not complaining, just asking before I get into it.

Roland

R

Roland

JESUS CHRIST I CAN'T THINK OF ANY IDEAS!!!! But, I'll go with Giant Juno the Cat brawling over puny sized armies of ants, It'll fit the theme

EDITSY

Final Entry: Feline Behemoth
FILE04212016_00001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 28
Wow, wonderful sketch, Marcos! That's gonna be some big contestant to deal with, huh *bad bad joke*

I'm looking forward to join! By the way, the Judging part of the 1st post still has criteria of the last contest (that was horror themed):

Theme
Does the artist take advantage of the theme, or is the vision unfitting?/10%

Not a big deal though

Roland

R

Roland

I'll edit my entry soon digitally..

@Adit: PLEASE USE HIDDEN TAGS!!

Roland

R

Roland

Saaaaaaaaan You're awesome.. I love you. Keep up the great work!

Level 11
Eh, final entry:

Lore

Art"

Being misunderstood, exterminated from his own
hometown, the wise Giant was sent to earth by the locals of that planet.
It was the only habitable planet that was close enough
for them to send the Giant away. But this particular one
has a very sensitive behaviour towards nature...

Knowing the earth's nature is on its ending days, abandoned
and no longer relevant to modern day society, will the Giant be
friendly? Or will he be hostile, driven mad by the poorly
treated mother nature?
Final_entry.jpg

I know it's extremely shuddy, but I had some spare time and I wanted
to participate. Good luck for others, I have already seen some interesting
concepts!

Status
Not open for further replies.