• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Cinematic Contest #6 - 5 minutes free theme

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
cinematic-contest.jpg

Contest Period
The Contest shall commence on October 31, 2015 and continue until January 3, 2016 (the "Deadline"). All entries must be received by the Deadline to be eligible to win a prize.

Prizes
The contest winner will receive a prize of one (1) $150 Steam Gift card, 100 reputation points, a unique award icon and will be featured in one of Azothan's YouTube videos on the front page.

Second place will receive 50 reputation points, and Third place will receive 25 reputation points.

I got Help, is that Okay?

You can get help from another member, but be advised that we only give one (1) Steam Gift Card away. However you can choose to distribute the reputation points as you like among the people who helped you.

How to Enter
  • Each entrant shall submit one (1) map which has been designed from the World Editor in either Blizzard's "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos" or "WarCraft III: The Frozen Throne" products.
  • You can use whichever World Editor add-on, as long as the cinematic can be played in the standard version of "Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos" or "Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne" products.
  • To submit a map, submit your entry in the official contest thread. This requires a Hive account, so you must be a member of our community to participate.
Contest Rules
  • The map will consist only of a “Cinematic Sequence” and not exceed five (5) minutes in length.
  • There is no theme for this contest. You choose the theme of the cinematic you want to submit.
  • The map must be created by you.
  • No more than one (1) submission per entrant.
  • The map must be newly created for this contest. Any map found previously published will be disqualified.
  • You are allowed to use any resources found in Hive's respective resource database. This includes textures, models & spells. You are, of course, allowed to make your own resource to be used in the map.
  • You can use music from Blizzard products i.e. (Diablo, Warcraft, Starcraft, World of Warcraft etc.). You are also welcome to compose the music yourself and use music with a permitting license.
  • The site rules apply to this contest. Any entry found to be in violation of the site rules will be disqualified.
  • The entry post must include a list of all used resources made by other authors.
Judges
The Hive administration team and special contest judges, iNfraNe & Anitarf, shall choose the winners from all entrants who have submitted an entry prior to the end of the Deadline. Winners shall be chosen by the panel of judges at its sole discretion. The decision of the Hive staff and contest judges is final. Prizewinners will be notified by a private message within 14 days, once the judges have found the winner. To claim a prize, winners should follow the instructions contained in their notification.

Contest Sponsor
The contest award is generously sponsored by The World Is Flat, Shar Dundred & Shain Dundred.

Special Contest Judges
iNfraNe & Anitarf, winners of Blizzard's Warcraft 3 Cinematic Contest 2005, both have a lot of experience with Warcraft 3 cinematics. They have both been a part of the Warcraft 3 community since the game came out in 2002. iNfraNe and Anitarf are respected users and we're honored to have them onboard the panel of judges.

iNfraNe has been a valuable member of the community at WC3Campaigns (www.wc3c.net), where he holds the staff title of Cinematics Moderator.
Together with GaDDeN, iNfraNe made the map Elimination Tournament, a Capture The Flag game that is best described as "Unreal Tournament in Warcraft 3", and is currently working on the cooperative version of it.

Anitarf, Development Director at WC3Campaigns, has spent most of his modding time writing various systems like his infamous CinemaWorkshop and helping people out with various scripts. He's a seasoned modder and a force to be reckoned with.

Here's what iNfraNe & Anitarf will look out for when judging a cinematic:

• "Acting/dialogue" - are the characters believable? do their words/actions make sense?
  • "Plot" - is the story plain, or does it speak to the viewer, can the viewer relate?
  • "Cinematography" - this is a mix of terrain and cameras, the overall look of the motionpicture.
  • "Pacing" - how smooth and well-timed are the sequences.
  • "Creativity" - is this original?
  • "Entertainment" - was the viewer entertained while viewing, this is a bit subjective perhaps, but leaves room for a personal overall score on the film.
Back in 2005 iNfraNe and Anitarf, participated in Blizzard's Cinematic Contest, and won! It's not hard to understand why these guys won the contest after viewing their contest submission:

Final Entries

Last edited:

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

So everyone participating but not using Steam is not making any personal profit from the reward ?

Does using custom music increases the points ?

Level 34
Daymn, taking contests up a notch.

Cinematic seems like an odd choice to do this with, but it's still cool to see.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
So everyone participating but not using Steam is not making any personal profit from the reward ?
We can work something else out if the winner happens not to have/use a Steam account. But that is between the winner and the Hive administration when that time comes.

For now, let's see some awesome cinematics! :goblin_yeah:

Level 7
Hello everyone! I would first like to thank Archian for inviting me to judge this contest. I didn't even have a Hive account before this, and I have been neglecting WC3 modding in general recently; Archian's invitation has given me the opportunity to rectify these two shortcomings of mine, so I was happy to accept it. :)

It is hard to believe that this year marks the 10th anniversary of Blizzard's cinematic contest. Our submission was good enough to win back then, but after a full decade I expect you guys will make even cooler things, and I am very much looking forward to watching them!

Level 28
The World Is Flat, are you swimming in money :cgrin:? Well good, it's awesome to see money in the right hands from time to time. Your generosity is amazing. I want to thank you for the continuos support of Hive.

Regarding the contest, I'm really curious about this. I wish I could make cinematics now, just to join for the fun of it.

Level 3
Hm, 50$, eh? I dunno...

I don't think we can let it remain that way... Can we, Shain?

Of course not, brother.

Shar and I will add another 50$ each, making it another 100$ from us (150$ in total with the current one then). Also, in order to ensure that people will earn this money not *too* lightly, Shar and I will participate as well (No, not as team, one of us for one cinematic). We have absolutely no intention winning this contest, but rather do we want to ensure that our money is being handed over to someone who beats both of us seperately.
Should one of us, without wanting to, actually win this contest, all the money will be donated to the Hive.

We want this thing to become more interesting and make you all do your best at winning it, so create some awesome cinematics and everyone is happy. :)

An official announcement from the site admins about the increased prize should come as well later.

Level 21
Hm, 50$, eh? I dunno...

I don't think we can let it remain that way... Can we, Shain?

Of course not, brother.

Shar and I will add another 50$ each, making it another 100$ from us (150$ in total with the current one then). Also, in order to ensure that people will earn this money not *too* lightly, Shar and I will participate as well (No, not as team, one of us for one cinematic). We have absolutely no intention winning this contest, but rather do we want to ensure that our money is being handed over to someone who beats both of us seperately.
Should one of us, without wanting to, actually win this contest, all the money will be donated to the Hive.

We want this thing to become more interesting and make you all do your best at winning it, so create some awesome cinematics and everyone is happy. :)

An official announcement from the site admins about the increased prize should come as well later.
That's very generous of you :D
This has just gone to a whole new level.Join up people,a lot at stake!

Ardenian

A

Ardenian

I hope there is no participation limit, many users will participate, I guess.

I don't know whether I will participate, creating cinematic sequences is a section I never touched.
I also feel as if there is one or another trick to turn the sequence into unbelievable art, if one know how to.

Level 2
I must participate! 50 dollars are like a fortune! well at least here in Africa! I can buy games!!! I must win this!
question: can I use World of Warcraft Models?

Cokemonkey11

Spell Reviewer
Level 29
The concentration of interested users piques my own curiosity...

Perhaps I should join Shar and Shain in making the prize pool even larger?

How's this: if there are more than 20 contestants, I will add an additional $50 to the prize pool!

Consider this me subscribing to the contest ;)

Edit: since this might be important, let's call the definition of contestant: "a user who joins the contest with a submission which is taken seriously and marked by all judges".

Thus, if the judges mark 20+ submissions (each seriously), I will add $50 to the prize pool.

Level 34
If you guys are so eager to give your money to contest winners, why not spread it out? Come up with prizes for other contests.

I kindly ask you people to stop mentioning me in your posts.

Anyway, this might spark some cool entries, especially ones on par with Darkness Within and Creatures of the Night(see wc3c.net).

May the inspiration and uniqueness factor be great in all of you.
Have a good day~

Oh sorry..... But really, i though it would be cool if cinematic have some fancy terrain (And when i think of terrain, i think of you :/)

Level 15
EDIT: When's the Deadline?

3 January 2016... (No more extending)

Also, does the Credits also count for the Cinematic Length?

If you fill it with only Bullshit , no :D Be sure to make it both long and entertaining (the second factor is entirely important, if it's long but not entertaining in each part, judges would get bored and that would decrease your points).

Steam Gift Card Amounted 50$, 100 reps

That's enough reason to make me participate (this is the first time participating for real, I remember I participated in some mini-mapping but yet I didn't even make anything), though no promises.

I AM IN!

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
Loner-Magixxar said:
Are we supposed to provide a WIP for this contest, too?
It's not mandatory, but feel free to share some of your progress. No spoilers please ;)
Loner-Magixxar said:
Can we use music from bands or singers?
Using music and sounds from Blizzard products falls under the category of fair use, and is allowed.
You may also use music that is considered Public Domain and thusly free to use. Music is usually considred Public Domain 50 or 70 years after the original author dies.
You may also use royalty-free music. Royalty free refers to the right to use copyrighted material or intellectual property without the need to pay royalties or license fees.

If you get a permitting license, you are free to use the original work in question.

I should add, that participants who use music not composed by themselves or from Blizzard products or any other free-to-use music/sounds, should be able to include the license in their entry post or, if asked, provide it to the contest judges.

Status
Not open for further replies.