• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Secret passages and Tilesets...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
'ello! Wasn't exactly sure where to put this, but i figured i would go under Terrain as the question(s) does... well... concern terrains ^^... Anyway! onwards we go!

Firstly, having played through the Single Player part of Warcraft 3 and frozen throne a good 10 times now, i'm starting to get annoyed at never being able to achieve quite the same level of hidden ways and exploration control that Blizzard have achieved on some of their maps >.<... An example would be in order, Take the Part where vasjh has to help kael free his Leuitenants from the dalaran ruins, aswell as being able to put the ghosts of the archmages Arthas slew last time you were there, to rest, aaand being able to unlock the TD map.
In this map, blizzard have made some secret ways practicly invisible, covered by blacmarsh untill fx the hidden gate is opened and reveals a secret passage.. Now.. after 3-4 years of casual warcraft 3 mapping... im embarrsed to say that i have yet to find out how on earth they do this, only way i've been able to block line of sight is.. well by putting Line of sight blockers. This however contains two major problems... well three infact, Firstly of all they dont work all the great, if you are a level above the blocker you can actully see whatever is behind it, making it slightly weird looking in fx a dungeon map.
Secondly, they can't be played within doodads or units (the obvious reason for this is infact the last reason) spo it requires you to make space for the invisible line of sight blockers... very frustrating when you're trying to make your dark prison cell look somewhat good.

Lastly, and this is surely my biggest issue with the line of sight blocker method, is that Units are unable to move through or even near them, they work like invisible walls, this is highly disturbing, when im trying to cover a gate in darkness untill the gate is opened by a lever, it doesn't matter because when the gate opens, noone can move through it because the line of sight blockers... BLOCKS the path, to make it even worse i can't even find a way through triggers to remove them and thereby allowing movement after a gate ect has opened.

I thank you for your time and look forward to any usefull advice on how to improve my mapping skills :), i'm truly sorry if it seems drawn out ( i always do that... aaand i just did it again... man i love to type... )

Edit: SILLY ME! I forgot to add the seceond part.. so i'll do that quickly... uhm how do i customly chose between what tilesets i wish in my map instead of being forced to only be using the preset packages, such as Dalaran Ruins or Northrend. Thans :)

Level 34
For the first part, I don't know why line of sight blockers aren't working for you. Perhaps you could use triggers to remove them when a unit goes near, and then add them again?

The second part, just go into Advanced, then Modify Tileset, then check that box that says use custom tileset. Then you can pick which ones you want.

Level 5
well ye..

well... ye... though i can do most things with triggers that doesn't go into too many "and" and "if"'s though--- i cant find a trigger that can either add or remove line of sight blockers, can anyone give me the name of these triggers, or which section of actions they're under?

Status
Not open for further replies.