• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Human small Town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
ok check this out...
Darkstone 2.jpg

Darkstone 1.jpg

Darkstone 3.jpg

Level 34
That barrel is larger than a house. Huh. Overall it looks okay at first glance, but under scrutiny it doesn't hold up. Doodads are all wacky sizes, and the placement of the houses very makes little sense.

Level 7
it all seems really disorienting, plus on the first two i can see the end of the world.
to me it looks like you made some random hiwght variation and added building and put some random doodads on top. you should add more structure to it and carefullt place your doodads instead of throwing them around and hoping the look good where they land. plus alot of things are out of porportion. if those are two story barns, then those barels are taller than a person. and that cage it as tall as a house, how are they going to put someone in that? also more importantly, you have basically no fog. either make it thinker or change it's color to somthing darker so its more noticible. and you do realize you placed "corn" everywhere? o_O

Level 14
Oww, 2/3 of the pics shows the end of the world... but I think the places that I think you worked on are really nice!

Level 21
it all seems really disorienting, plus on the first two i can see the end of the world.
to me it looks like you made some random hiwght variation and added building and put some random doodads on top.
Isn't that actually how villages were made back then? There weren't any bulldozers yet to flatten everything out nor were there any guidelines to where you can build your houses... In fact, I really like the chaotic feel to it while still keeping *some* structure to it (i.e. there still are streets and roads), feels a lot like a city.
I think it has a good natural feel to it.

Since the barrels are almost larger than the houses, I'm assuming no modifications have been made to the doodads in the object editor... Which means it's potentially a melee map, and it looks pretty nice for that.

Level 7
Isn't that actually how villages were made back then? There weren't any bulldozers yet to flatten everything out nor were there any guidelines to where you can build your houses... In fact, I really like the chaotic feel to it while still keeping *some* structure to it (i.e. there still are streets and roads), feels a lot like a city.
I think it has a good natural feel to it.

Since the barrels are almost larger than the houses, I'm assuming no modifications have been made to the doodads in the object editor... Which means it's potentially a melee map, and it looks pretty nice for that.
well kudos if this is a melee map... but i have a feeling it's not :\ but back then they may not of had bulldozers and such but towns were not 100% chaoticly placed. look at ancient towns such as ancient Rome and Jeruselum, the building arent scattered everywhere. even in mideval Europe towns wernt built without orginization. and last but not least, they wouldn't build little tonws if the terrains height was as varied as in the picture.

Level 4
well, i like the idea of everything not being organized, and every house is build anywhere. and its not a melee map... it's just some terraining i did one afternoon when i was boring...

Level 21
well kudos if this is a melee map... but i have a feeling it's not :\ but back then they may not of had bulldozers and such but towns were not 100% chaoticly placed. look at ancient towns such as ancient Rome and Jeruselum, the building arent scattered everywhere.

Dinan.jpg

This is one of the "cleaner" medieval streets. A street is clearly visible, just like in the screens the streets are visible, but really, the buildings are pretty scatered here too.

By the way, Ancient Rome or Jerusalem isn't your "average" city... Ancient Rome wasn't a "village" either like this one, in fact it's a city that can be called very exceptional, not really "the standard". But don't worry, even rome contained slums and city borders who were pretty chaotic.
Rome has also been laid in ruins during the middle ages. It was only during the renaissance that (partly thanks to Napoleon) city organisation and those typical 17th century wide organised streets were introduced in cities. The Rome you see today is partly the rome from the ancient era and from the renaissance, but there's very, very little left of the Medieval Rome.

st_flour_3.jpg

You can't really call this organised. And this example probably isn't truly medieval either, it's a village probably constructed "recently", at a time where city organisation IS taken seriously.

even in mideval Europe towns wernt built without orginization.
Oh, there was some organisation, in the form of streets. And streets are visible there too. But it didn't go much further than that. There was no higher authority that really planned cities like they started doing in the late 17th century. Also note that the city centres (not the city borders) usually tended to be more organised, but the screenshots clearly show a small village, a town, but not a "city".

and last but not least, they wouldn't build little tonws if the terrains height was as varied as in the picture.
uh...

If you were talking about cities, I'd agree, more or less, but about ANY village that's build in a country that isn't totally flat has such height variance. Simply because they don't have any alternatives. I mean, Italy is filled with villages with quite some height variety, simply because there are no flat lands there... Sure, there's Rome, but not every town or city can be Rome.

Here an image of a typical italian town (and a town of that size would easily be considered a city in the medieval era, but it clearly is a pretty modern town - can you believe how a medieval town would be organised if people STILL do this today?)
Manarolanight.jpg

Also let me end with the following image
Mont-Saint-Michel.bmp

It clearly shows towns pop up at the most bizarre places. After all, out of all locations, why would they build a town there, at a place where the only entrance roads are flooded every 12 hours, on a bloody hill?

The scaling is a bit off... barrels that are like 8 feet tall? o_O

Well that's been said already...

Status
Not open for further replies.