• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

My new Orpg terrain

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
It's kinda hard judging the terrain with those angles, try and make some screen shots from the game camera. Only thing i can see right now is that you overkill on those flowers in the first two pics.

Level 9
To be honest, its crap. U used lordearon summer tileset, that a nono. switch it to village tileset. Second, u used lordearon trees, thats a nono too.

Third the place looks cramped, and squarish. give it angles, rotations. do not make everything square or rectangulair. is a displeasing site.

Fourth: don't drop fences everywere, they look retarded in those masses. Use something different like bushes, or nothing

Level 24
Seems very lordaeron summer-ish to be honest, you should use the Village tileset instead, neither do I think that your terrain is that good either and there is much room for improvement, work on your tile and doodad variation to easiest get the best result. Remember, training gives skills.

Level 24
You need a lot more tile variation, and some height variation as well. And as people have said this would be better in the village tileset rather then the lordaeron summer tileset. Also I agree there are too many flowers in the first couple of screenshots.

Level 25
Tilesets you use are not the problem with this terrain. It's the way it was used. If I must prove this myself by making a Lordaeron Summer terrain, I will. Besides, this terrain looks like it was done with the Village tileset. What makes this terrain look generally poor is main the lack of tile variation and poor tile placement. It looks very plain and doesn't really mix well where it should. To help variate the terrain more, lets talk about the first terrain shot uploaded of the Grassy Dirt path. What you should do is use a lot of dirt tile variations in there instead of grassy ones. Rough Dirt and Dirt are the two tiles that make roads look like used roads and stand out best as roads. If you want examples, I would recommend looking at melee maps made by Blizzard Entertainment such as "Booty Bay." Use those melee maps as your references. Learn from them. They can be very handy if you're a visual learner, rather than an auditorial one.

Another thing that makes this terrain poor is the lack of hill variation (Otherwise known or refered to as 'Height Variation') and its overall flatness. When making hills in terrains such as this, do not make the hills tall, but make them large in size (Use the biggest circle to place hills with) and when you're done placing a few or more of this hills in various areas of the map's terrain, be sure to make use of the 'Smooth' tool which is where the 'Raise' tool is in the Terrain Palette. Smoothing hills can be very, very helpful and useful. How? Well, one thing you must always keep in mind to never do when terraining hills or even mountains is to make sure they aren't pointy. Hills should never be pointy, no matter where the terrain is located. Mountains and cliffs are the only ones where that might be somewhat excusable, but still not recommended. When smoothing hills, be sure to hold down the Left-Click on your mouse rather than tapping it over and over. Tapping it seems to affect the hill more critically and I would suggest tapping Left-Click only if the hills is very tall; but even then, holding it down is still easier.

The doodad placement isn't so bad, actually, but it does look cluttered in a lot of these terrains. For example, the fountain. There are way too many flowers ON it. I would recommend placing then around the rim of the outer part of the fountain rather than in it where the water falls.

~Craka_J

Level 18
ty vey much all but this isnt done with village tileset its done with sunkenruins one the reason is because i wana use many different tilesets for my map (also im real bad in mixing tilesets but all this is no excuse to not give it a try so the results shall come soon)

Level 25
It's better, but you are making a rough dirt trail through the road. I'll make an example terrain for you in just minute. :wink:

[EDIT]
Added two example terrain shots. It's kind of messy since I rushed it, but it's still a good example to reference to.

~Craka_J

Attachments

• EX1.JPG
    EX1.JPG
    272.9 KB · Views: 169
  • EX2.JPG
    EX2.JPG
    334 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
Level 18
ty mate well i do have som ideas frome fable its my number one xbox game but dont think this shall be fable plz this game shall be based on 2 games Fable And WoW why? thay are my favorite games and got good engines i shall post new screens soon im a bit bissy on making the terrain infront of oakvale

Level 36
That shore line is hurting my eyes! o.o Use the smooth tool to smoothen it out so that the sea dont look all that boxy :p Appart from that.. More imports! :p Thats what you need. And, more tile variation, you never get enough of that! :O

Status
Not open for further replies.