• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Paired Mapping Contest #6 - Living Nightmare[Deceased]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 30
the%20hive%20workshop.png

paired.png
mapping.png
contest.png

number.png
6.png

186519-albums3700-picture53578.png

Living Nightmare

Contestants are required to enter this contest in a team of two, in order to create a Horror map that will never lack puzzling mysteries. The map has to be any type of escape - the main characters are expected to run away from something, or someone, while keeping their heads on their shoulders.
Participants in this contest are free to pick from any genre of map they would like to create, as long as it follows the theme, bringing mysterious happenings, horrifying scenes and last, but not least, some sort of escape.

contest%20rules%20and%20conditions.png

• No submission may violate any of the site rules.
  • If a submission does not follow the map submission rules, the creators will be disqualified.
  • All submissions must follow the current theme. If any model does not fit, host of the contest or moderators will tell you as soon as possible as to avoid confusion.
  • Your submission must be posted before the deadline. The post containing your final submission must also contain the following:
    • Several screenshots of terrain and gameplay.
    • The file in the appropriate format.
  • You must show at least one unfinished preview of your submission (WIP), before the deadline, as proof that it’s yours.
  • Your submission may not be started/made before the official launch of the contest.
  • Judges may not participate.
  • Your final submission must be bug free.
  • Imports may be used in the map, however they must all be credited. Imports from other games are not allowed.
  • Your map must be created by a team of two different people.
    • Finding testers and voice actors to help you with your submission is not considered teamwork.
  • All the entries must be unprotected so that the triggers and scripts can be looked at.
  • All multiplayer maps must be under 8mb, so they are playable on Battle.Net. Having them under 2mb is recommended.
prizes.png

• First Place: 45 reputation points and your entry on the award icon
  • Second Place: 30 reputation points and an award icon
  • Third Place: 15 reputation points and an award icon

judges.png

• Bugz
  • Available slot - ask us if you want to judge.
  • Available slot - ask us if you want to judge.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

Checking FieldExplanationScoring
Originality:Your entry has to be original. Copies and already seen features might get lesser amount of points, but if everything else is done properly, you will still have some score in this section. Unique things and cool ideas, as well as freedom in innovation will give you high score.Up to 15 points to score in this section.
Map Presentation & Design:Author's name, Map name, Category, Type, Description, Links on loading screen and Messages ingame are very important. How good the Map preview and Loading screens are, tooltips, quests, icons, interface, unit stats, colors in text - are they done properly? Icons that fit models and special effects will score more than random ones. Passive icons on active skills, and vice verse will also reduce score. Uninformative tooltips are never a good thing. User Interface and Game Constants also take place in scoring in this section.Up to 10 points to score in this section.
Terrain:Note: since some maps use generated terrain, which is created via triggers, the map preview may show nothing. Negative things are plain, single-tiled, empty, environmental-less, style-less terrains. Positive things are special effects as doodads, animated doodads, custom lightning, fog and resources. Pathing also takes place in scoring.Up to 25 points to score in this section.
Efficiency & Performance of Triggers:Everything created with triggers takes a part in scoring. Low score is acquired with heavy amounts of bugs, errors, leaks and other performance issues. However, if the amount of them isn't high, your score won't drop down too much. Systems and abilities should be lagless and leakless.Up to 10 points to score in this category.
Object Data:Size of units and their selection scales are counted in here, as well as their tinting. Creeps should be aranged in such way that they do not differ too much one from another (Ogre, murlock and Night Elven Archer are bad choice. Huntress, Druid and Dryad make a good one). All in one, checked fields are how good the statistics and the abilities are fitting units.
Map size is also considered in scoring, and takes a large portion of it. Lower map size, with imports that are effectively used, will score more than maps filled to their cap (unless it's a single player, or a cinematic). Imported resources are mostly models, sounds and textures. Sounds mustn't have way too large size (Example: three sounds for cap of 8 MB). Optimized skins and models (as well as sounds) will give a good score. Optimized maps won't score more than others.
Up to 10 points to score in this category.
Gameplay:This the main aspect of any map. How much the users are able to customize their games, such as game modes, difficulties and commands? Special events, hidden quests, systems (Not their efficiency, but their impact on map's fun factor), original ideas - all of these increase your score. Balance also has a large impact on the score, as well as time duration per game, and can the map be finished without major issues and problems. New user friendliness also belongs to this category.
Everything else that can't be listed in any other category goes here.
Up to 30 points to score in this section.

contest%20judging%20and%20voting.png

• 60% of the winner shall be determined by the contest's appointed judges.
  • 40% of the winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.

contest%20dates%20and%20deadline.png

• The contest shall begin on 01 Dec 2011 and conclude on 15th of February, 2012, 23:59 (PM) GMT

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 25
Everything sounds great, but how about a name that suits the overall theme more? Instead of "Living Nightmare", it could be "Escape the Nightmare"? That way any confusion about it needing to involve the escape factor can be avoided.

Level 30
@Tickles,
Well, it resembles about people trapped in their deepest fears and the most terrifying dreams. And the only way to get out is to wake up, which again, resembles escape.

@Pharaoh_,
What about the contests that are running right now, such as Campaign one? I wrote in the main post that I will move the deadlines if the contests overlap each other, but I need your help to untangle this. Should we begin this contest right now, or wait until the others are gone?

Level 30
Oh, well, you got the point. This contest has a lenghty amount of time to work on the entries (About 45 days), so that the contest should begin right now. Great.

Start looking for your teammates and get this working guys!
We should place an announcement to draw more attention.

I will join this contest, it was a while when I last time created map.
So I just want to test my skills :)
Awesome guy named Maker will be my pair. ^_^
He will work on systems and spells, while I focus on terrain and object data.

Map won't be big, simple and small, something that won't take 2 much of our time.
We have a lot of work on site and personal projects so this should be small challenge for bot of us.

Level 5
Well if anyone would like to be my partner i would like to do some kind of zombies map the idea i have in mind isn't really liky the rest of them however. Note that I'm a terrible terrainer

Level 12
I would not mind participating...with the right partner that is,

I'm not great with ideas, though I have been known to stumble upon one or two every so often,

I can script circles around most, but can't be bothered much with objects and the like, the time and the inclination elude me

If anyone is interested, let me know. Preferably with some baseline idea laid out.

Really, I'm not all that scary once you get to know me. :) Feel free to PM, if you're worthy...... ;)

Last edited:
Level 14
Are you allowed to make an impossible map where only the death waits for you?

I can beat all of you!...joke :p...gotta see this one only coz Im busy with Hero Making#5...good luck guyzzz and girl...

Hero Contest will end in less than 15 days, you will have whole month after that to work on your map, if you have partner, you can split work, let him work on imports, terrain etc, so he can prepare map for you and triggers.

Level 29
Hero Contest will end in less than 15 days, you will have whole month after that to work on your map, if you have partner, you can split work, let him work on imports, terrain etc, so he can prepare map for you and triggers.

Good ID, I'll ask someone, but not sure coz he's hardly online...terrain is really not my thing, I'll go for the coding if he's willing to be my partner...

Level 25
Just because you see some good mapmakers in there, doesn't mean that you can't win.
It all depends on your will to win, and on your partner's, too.
That, and there's three winning placements :ogre_haosis:

anyone here who is good in terraining I'd be glad to join coz the listed parties are good in codes & terraining...
I'm definitely interested in terraining for this type of theme. I can PM you some of my ideas I've been experimenting with if you're interested in partnering up.

Level 29
I'm definitely interested in terraining for this type of theme. I can PM you some of my ideas I've been experimenting with if you're interested in partnering up.

Im really interested but Amargaard already asked me...if he's not serious then maybe you could be :)...
But I may not be able to be active on this unless I finish my Hero entry from other thread...

Level 16
Confirmed partners:
1. Apheraz & baassee
2. -Kobas- & Maker
3. bowser499 & Ty3uK
4. mckill2009 & Amargaard

(Currently) Forever Alone:
DeathChef (Terrainer)
Blazing_Legion (Coder)
Vladadamm (Coder)
emjlr3 (Coder)
Crazed_seal2
Tickles (Terrainer)
Zanar(Coder)

If i am wrong with your skills please notice me
----------------------

Now start teaming up and show some wips!

Status
Not open for further replies.