• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Solved] FirstOfGroup loops or ForGroup? And how to make a unit cast multiple spells instantly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Have both their points.

JASS:
function Start takes integer a, integer b returns nothing
    loop
        set u = FirstOfGroup(g)
        exitwhen (u == null)
        call GroupRemoveUnit(g, u)

//actions
    endloop
endfunction

JASS:
function Enum takes nothing returns nothing
    local integer a = A
    local integer b = B

//actions
endfunction

function Start takes integer a, integer b, code c returns nothing
    set A = a
    set B = b

call ForGroup(g, c)
endfunction

On first, you stay in the same function/thread, can therefore use local variables whereas with traditional enuming values would have to be transferred globally.

If you wanted to have dynamic code, meaning to deliver what to run as a parameter, the loop would require boolexpr/trigger/ExecuteFunc string, at least first retrieve them out of a code parameter, which you could directly use in second but there again, you can only use that unless you execute from the Enum-function.

ForGroup is protected against adding units in the Enum-loop, won't pick the same unit twice. However, you also cannot remove from the execution stack. ForGroup does not clear the group.

When units decay, they still leave a reference in the group. ForGroup does not run for these but FirstOfGroup-loop. FirstOfGroup will return a null then, which breaks the end mark.

Bribe

Code Moderator
Level 50
Depending on the circumstances you use ForGroup or FirstOfGroup loops.

If it's once-off enumerating then you should just use a null filter and a FirstOfGroup loop. Anyone who says a filter is faster than a FirstOfGroup loop needs to prove me wrong by posting a 1.24 or later benchmark, because no logic says opening a new thread for each iteration is going to be faster. I think the original benchmarks were when we needed to have a "return true" dummy filter.

If you need to store the units then you use FirstOfGroup and maybe a non-null filter.

Level 7
JASS:
loop
    set target=FirstOfGroup(affected)
    exitwhen target==null
    call GroupRemoveUnit(affected,target)
    if(IsUnitEnemy(target,pl))then
        call SetUnitX(caster,GetUnitX(target))
        call SetUnitY(caster,GetUnitY(target))
        call IssueTargetOrder(caster,orderstr,target)
    endif
endloop
Any comments would be appreciated provided that they are constructive.

Level 7
Fixed some stuff and now it works. Here's the code again.
JASS:
loop
    set target=FirstOfGroup(affected)
    exitwhen target==null
    call GroupRemoveUnit(affected,target)
    if(IsUnitEnemy(target,pl))then
        call UnitAddAbility(caster,spellid)
        call SetUnitX(caster,GetUnitX(target))
        call SetUnitY(caster,GetUnitY(target))
        call IssueTargetOrder(caster,orderstr,target)
        call UnitRemoveAbility(caster,spellid)
    endif
endloop
Now i can dummy cast spells on multiple units w/ only one dummy caster :D

Level 7
What ability was it? Did it have an spell cast duration? Maybe the ability is also part of the reason it was able to cast completely instantly?

Also i think Diablo Builder did as close as i've seen to this already sorta with item scrolls.

Level 7
I tried it with three spells. Entangling Roots, Frost Nova and Frenzy (spells must be instant).

Results:

Unholy Frenzy and Frenzy: 16 out 16 units got affected
Entangling Roots: 12 out of 16 got affected.
Frost Nova:10 out 16 got affected.

i will try to find out later why this happens if i have free time.

Level 7
Here's my theory on how the trick works, a single instance of ability (being cast) will only accept one order at a time... so we need to remove it and add it again in order to have a fresh instance of the ability that will accommodate the incoming order to cast.

btw... i haven't made a decent testmap yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.