• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Warcraft III Reforged - Community Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 20
@Razorclaw_X

I just have to ask, since you seem very confident about current version WC3-Maps being compatible with Reforged.
Can you confirm that WoS will essencially work on Reforged?

Greetz,
Krolan (Big Time Fan of your Campaign)
I'm fairly confident in that any of the changes being made for Reforged are already being implemented right now. It makes no sense to develop two different versions of Warcraft 3 when Warcraft 3 is already capable of handling something as simple as switching out graphic models based on context (which the game already does when you consider that between RoC and TFT there are a number of units that have completely different versions between the two-- such as the Night Elf Ballista in RoC vs the Glaive Thrower in TFT as an example). What would be interesting to see is if they can pull off doing this in Real Time like in Starcraft Remastered (and if they can-- that means we should be able to do that, too!).

World Editor between Vanilla and Reforged will be the same editor. Believing in that gives me good reason to believe things will work in Reforged as long as I keep up with the changes/Blizzard keeps fixing the compatibility issues.

Level 7
1. World editor:
  • PJass, a Trigger editor syntax highlighter (TESH) and a ToolTip Colorizer should be integrated into world editor. Code editing mode in trigger editor should be emphasized. If realized, map makers will not choose to use other modified world editor like JNGP.
  • It has come to the key point to add some necessary features including map encryption and easy to plug in.
  • Is it possible to allow the artists to update their old models and skins into new high resolution versions by using the reforged 3D modelling tool? I think it is also important to provide compatibility for cross-edit of arts.
2. User-interface:
In the propagandist video, I have noticed that the portrait of unit seems to be static in the reforged version, while the head portrait in the classic version shows animations when unit being clicked or selected. I think most players love the latter.

The animated portrait of widget is a very popular feature of wc3, and should be inherited by the reforged version.

3. Some tiny suggestions:
The Tauren's weapon (wood) seems to be a bit thick, and the wood's color seems to be not very natural.
The tree needs more 3D elements to enable it to be more natural. Some additional animations such as fluttering in wind and rain weathers, can be considered.

4. Custom campaign:
The custom campaign can support multiple-player gaming.

Last edited:
Level 24
I'm worried that there won't be that many custom models because the entry level barrier for making custom models of equal quality is just too high.
If they really just toned down the level of detail this would help immensely.
Either that or at least provide some toolkit for modders to use, similiar to what Valve has done in the past.

Level 5
I do not know if this question has been repeated, but if it was not the case, I'll mention it.

- If they change the models to another type of extension. Models with Mdl and Mdx extensions can leave it in the game and be functional in the new engine, so that at least the old Custom and original maps are playable in the Reforged. This could be of help to the recycling of resources, for diversity and to keep the maps with old models Customizable for any map within the new editor.

Hoping for SC2's save/load functionality and maybe an editor option to use it's armor/unit weapon system (flat amount reduced rather than % reduction) / each unit in the obj editor can have its own weapon type.

(e.g. Archer deals pierce damage vs Archer deals +5 to Light and +0 to others, and a Rifleman that also had piercing now deals +5 to Light +5 to Medium and +0 to others)

Functionality to change what abilities a hero learns in the learn interface.
Interface option/functionality to show the hotkey button on ability icons.
Have a hero unit that does not use str agi or int.
Customization for loading screen load bar interface.

Last edited:
Level 2
Did anyone else notice until now that there are only 4 slots for spells in the current interface, while there have been 6 previously? I guess that breaks a lot of backward compatibility if they don't have a mechanism to solve ...

Level 1
My main hope is that there are at least improvements to the coding aspect of the game. I wish we moved away from jass/vjass but if not, improvements to the language and compatibilities would be great.

I hope to get:

• world editor - able to play with the UI easily with triggers
  • some database system stored on a local file like SQL
  • why not 3D editor for wc3 reforged
  • world editor - more terrraining tools
  • world editor - more unit triggers
  • world editor - channel-like ability with a ton more options including damage and healing
  • make units able to turn witout needing to move! :D
  • world editor - add controls events for every possible key on the mouse, keyboard and why not pads.
  • world editor - add the ability to connect to a host, which allows multiple people to edit a single map
  • world editor - add the ability to switch between maps in multiplayer and load data of player
  • Multiplayer - add the ability of "hosting party" - you set a collection of maps sequentially and they automatically play when one of them is completed, automatically transferring the player to the next
  • more inventory slots
For now this.

Last edited:

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 70
World Editor between Vanilla and Reforged will be the same editor. Believing in that gives me good reason to believe things will work in Reforged as long as I keep up with the changes/Blizzard keeps fixing the compatibility issues.
Not sure saved maps with Reforged will work, at least, properly on the classic game.
In the propagandist video, I have noticed that the portrait of unit seems to be static in the reforged version, while the head portrait in the classic version shows animations when unit being clicked or selected. I think most players love the latter.
Work in progress?
The tree needs more 3D elements to enable it to be more natural. Some additional animations such as fluttering in wind and rain weathers, can be considered.
Nifty, indeed!
The custom campaign can support multiple-player gaming.
That would be some awesomeness and how somebody mentioned even map transition type campaigns too!
I'm worried that there won't be that many custom models because the entry level barrier for making custom models of equal quality is just too high.
Blizzard will probably make packs but you'll have to buy them.
Either that or at least provide some toolkit for modders to use, similiar to what Valve has done in the past.
Reforged's editor comes with a model editor, the one they used to create these models (it's what they said).
Did anyone else notice until now that there are only 4 slots for spells in the current interface, while there have been 6 previously? I guess that breaks a lot of backward compatibility if they don't have a mechanism to solve ...
That would not be a problem if the UI is customizable.
why not 3D editor for wc3 reforged
What's that?
make units able to turn witout needing to move!
Make unit face unit in X seconds? Sure, there's no turn animation like when moving.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 70
I think it will be like Sc2, they'll be useable in editor but for multiplayer you'll need to 'buy' them to use
You're saying the assets they sell are usable for modding for free in SC2? I doubt that. I'm not talking about using stuff from LotV and HotS (SC2 standalone expansions) in the common Galaxy Editor. I'm referring to the packs they sell called skins or something like that.

You're saying the assets they sell are usable for modding for free in SC2? I doubt that. I'm not talking about using stuff from LotV and HotS (SC2 standalone expansions) in the common Galaxy Editor. I'm referring to the packs they sell called skins or something like that.

If I remember right they are all useable for FREE unless for multiplayer melee, though well they might implement some kind of lootbox system etc and even that must be free to use in custom maps (though I'll buy them if they don't do it this way)

Level 7
i dont have as long of a list as others do, but regardless:
-i hope that the graphics of reforged won't look as cartoony after shadows get added (yes i realize what we've seen so far is just an alpha, but still,
it concerns me)
-at least a hint (probably in the profile selection section) on how to copy user data/the profile with its progress in campaigns (yes i know one can google these, but wouldnt such a thing be a quality of life feature?)

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 70
If I remember right they are all useable for FREE unless for multiplayer melee, though well they might implement some kind of lootbox system etc and even that must be free to use in custom maps (though I'll buy them if they don't do it this way)
It's good business for them, bad for us since they will cost much and be released small pack after small one which will amount to a lot of money but maybe in time they will gather those packs together and sell them reasonably.

Level 20
Most of the stuff I've thought has already been said, but there is one thing that I want to add.

In the Blizzcon demo, I've noticed that some parts of the starting cutscene were cut (like Arthas greeting Uther and Uther replying to watch his tone, because he is still Arthas' superior as a paladin). I genuinely hope that this was done purely for the sake of making the demo more streamlined, so that people can play it faster instead of having to watch longer cutscenes.

If not, I'd like to ask the team to NOT cut any parts of the original cutscenes. I mean, sure, if you want to make some changes to the story, that's fine, I guess, but don't cut any part of the original cutscenes just for the sake of making them shorter or whatever.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 70
In the Blizzcon demo, I've noticed that some parts of the starting cutscene were cut (like Arthas greeting Uther and Uther replying to watch his tone, because he is still Arthas' superior as a paladin). I genuinely hope that this was done purely for the sake of making the demo more streamlined, so that people can play it faster instead of having to watch longer cutscenes.
Watch the Back2Warcraft gameplay video and you'll see the full or mostly full intro and ending to the level.
The problem I have with it is that I remember Arthas actually walking on the bridge towards Mal'Ganis before raising his hammer and shouting: "to the ends of the earth".

Level 2
Maybe even 'dynamic' model quality down-scaling on classic-version. So we don't get the 'poly-fiesta' that sometimes happen when too many vertices is present in 'classic' wc3.
Maybe there should be an option like "force old graphics for this certain map" in WE. Would be useful for maps heavily relying on old-styled custom models.

Maybe there should be an option like "force old graphics for this certain map" in WE. Would be useful for maps heavily relying on old-styled custom models.
What if I just want to atleast see some HD models? I'm trying to update every map I love with imports so I can use them with my HD mod, I think this is a bad idea when map protection is a thing

Level 20
Watch the Back2Warcraft gameplay video and you'll see the full or mostly full intro and ending to the level.
Uhm, nope. I've watched B2W already for the full footage and... the cutscene starts with Arthas, Jaina and Uther approaching Stratholme, whereas in the original cinematic there was also a part where Uther and his knights arrived to Arthas' base - this one is missing.

The problem I have with it is that I remember Arthas actually walking on the bridge towards Mal'Ganis before raising his hammer and shouting: "to the ends of the earth".
Yeah, it would be cool if they made Arthas & Mal'ganis face off somehow, not have them magically talk smack to one another telepathically across half the city :p

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 70
Uhm, nope. I've watched B2W already for the full footage and... the cutscene starts with Arthas, Jaina and Uther approaching Stratholme, whereas in the original cinematic there was also a part where Uther and his knights arrived to Arthas' base - this one is missing.
Ooh, that. I guess we're going to have to adapt, sadly...
Yeah, it would be cool if they made Arthas & Mal'ganis face off somehow, not have them magically talk smack to one another telepathically across half the city :p
Mal'Ganis even has some parts where the character looks down as if depressed or sad, lol.

Level 20
Ooh, that. I guess we're going to have to adapt, sadly...
I mean, they could have simply cut this part to make the intro shorter - after all, this was a Blizzcon demo and from what I've heard, the cutscene was unskippable, so... Perhaps they didn't want to force people to sit through a longer cinematic each time they've got to the computer? :)

Anyway, I hope that they don't cut it. One of the parts about the Human Campaign in W3 is that over time, the relations between Uther and Arthas get visibly colder. The same goes for Arthas and Jaina. It's subtle, but you can tell that Arthas is getting darker and he gets consumed by his thirst for vengeance, which is a nice touch considering what happens later.

EDIT: Also, one more bit of FEEDBACK:

How about... When all buildings in a certain area of the city get destroyed, that part of the city will start burning. I know it's a little thing, but damn... Seeing the city literally going on fire after you deal with the peasants would be like +100 to the immersion :D

Level 5
1) LORE/STORY

I dearly hope and pray that they will NOT RETCON ANYTHING IN THE CAMPAIGN LORE in this upcoming WC3: Reforged out from the original Warcraft 3- RoC & TFT, just for the sake "fitting" it with the majority of the ridiculous retcons in WoW lore...

This is a Warcraft 3 remake from the Warcraft RTS games. A Warcraft game, NOT a WoW game...

Warcraft is NOT WoW, and WoW is NOT Warcraft.

Therefore WC3: Reforged should be loyal to the original ways that the stories were told in the original Warcraft 3 (both RoC and TFT), NO RETCONS

2) DESIGNS (Character Models)

Just as with the lore, the model designs should be more of like how it appeared in the original WC3, except of course in much better graphics.

Armors and weapons should be like it looked like in WC3, more on looking realistic and common design for a medieval fantasy game story, without being overly designed with being too much colorful, weird glowing effects on the weapons, etc...

Im glad that the undead ghouls in the WC3: Reforge look exactly like how it were in the original WC3, and not like in WoW that appears to be like a bunch of ugly undead monkeys with a weird "grrr" sound unit set.

Level 2
I'd love to see the following for Wc3 Reforged:

-World Editor should provide a map protection tool like a PIN password to open the map or anything at all to restrain other players from making cheated copies of our maps.
-A reconnect feature that's working on both custom maps and ladder matches.
-Allow the world editor to read more than 4 keyboard keys (left, right, up, down arrows).
-World Editor should allow more terrain and cliff types.

Last edited:
Level 17
time to drop the big mic

heavy breathing....

add naitive map protection tool, not fun to see people steal our maps.

EDIT : i agree with LaxusElite for adding a password system or a PIN as he said.

Level 1
Feedback Warcraft Reforged - The ability to create much larger maps, as well as the ability to select an unlimited amount of units/buildings, get rid of the 12 Select Cap, Make it unlimited Unit/Building Selection like in Starcraft 2, the Select Cap severely handicaps Army Management in a lot of the custom maps.

Also, could just be me, but I think the new Paladin Model Haircut (Not Uther), as shown in the image on Warcraft Reforged website, looks dumb, and would really like that to be changed, I was more a fan of the Beefier Paladin Model from before, made them look more badass, not as much a fan of the new, more lean and sleek look.

Also, I hope all the old creeps in the World Editor are getting updated as well? Also, when updating the World Editor, please let it keep its base simplicity (Unlike the Starcraft 2 Editor), not that it's actual capability would be any less for it, just that not everyone who wishes to make a good map has to make a grueling effort to learn the editor and all its complexities, basically, keep it like the old World Editor we all know and love, just more powerful, and with more tools and capability.

And also, the new Tauren Chieftain Model's expression looks, askew? Goofy? Comical? Something about it just looks off to me.

I really like the look of most of the new unit models i've seen so far, the ones that stand out to me in particular are the Rifleman, Footman, Knight, Arthas Human, Mal'ganis, Ghoul, Abomination, Necromancer, Peasant, Villagers, Zombies, and Meat Wagon, new unit death corpses look quite nice as well, however, please tone down the oversized shoulder pads. Though many of the new Orc/Human building models do look like they could definitely use some work, I did really like the new Human Altar however.

New Tents/Houses/Villagers/Castle Walls all looked very nice. The Barracks textures looked like they could use some work, but model itself looks quite nice. Many of the textures of the buildings and some of the terrain do look somewhat out of place (Meaning they don't look like (Warcraft') and look like they could definitely use some work.

Better Camera zoom in looks very nice, so glad that's something they've added in. I would also REALLY love a camera feature where you can Rotate it whichever way you want, and keep it that way. (Like maybe holding the middle mouse wheel down and rotating your mouse whichever way you want your camera to be angled, and with a hotkey to reset the camera to its default angle maybe?), i've been wanting that to be a feature since the beginning of Warcraft 3, just really enhances the experience, and on many of the custom maps, to be able to see things from a new angle and really take in the beauty of the game and it's community maps from a new perspective would be awesome.

Please bring back the full Unit Portraits, with the more zoomed in look, also, the faces of the models need more character in their expressions, like in the old Warcraft 3, as is, the Warcraft 3 Reforged portraits feel completely lifeless and without character and barely seem to have any expressions, whereas old unit portraits are full of life and character, and you can really feel the cheesy exaggerated life and voice lines from them.

PLEASE add a 'don't attack' command for units, I hate when I have to order my catapults out of attack range so they don't kill my own units.

World Editor - More Skybox options please. A way to add more inventory slots via World Editor, better terraining tools, more cliff types, Built-in Map Protector Via Pin/Password

(Will keep adding to post as new things occur to me.)

PS - Warcraft 3 is my favorite game of all time and one that I am super passionate about, so huge thanks to Blizzard and the Warcraft 3 Community for keeping this game alive, and bringing about this renewal of a FANTASTIC game.

Last edited:
When a unit launches a projectile, the projectile could be an effect type. There could also be an event for the projectile launch as well as a SetSpecialEffectArt native which overrides the previous art without showing an animation.

In fact it would be great to open up the internal API mechanics of projectiles to the user so we can take advantage of native WarCraft 3 engine mechanics (user merely sets a speed and destination; the engine processes the rest).

GetUnitTypeArmorType, Get/SetUnitArmorType, GetEventDamageType, GetEventOriginalDamage, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_TAKES_DAMAGE, EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_HEALED.

Get/SetUnitAbilityCharges, GetAbilityOrderId, GetAbilityOrderType (target/none/point), EVENT_PLAYER_UNIT_SPELL_COOLDOWN.

Order/AbilityId2String would be awesome for debugging.

Also since Blizzard has taken it on themselves to integrate JassHelper, how about fixing the Init priorities so that GUI global variables initialize before any vJass stuff? It makes it impossible for vJass and GUI to work together without injecting the "main" function or telling vJass systems to wait for map initialization before doing anything...

Basically, every system I have is built because Warcraft 3 can't do it by itself. Dynamic arrays which can be passed as parameters, passing a variable instead of its value - these things are why I created (New)Table.

All the GUI stuff in my sig - events which would be great to add to GUI.

Also, GUI needs better type recognition. It should include all natives, and know it can convert Integer to Ability/Buff and vice versa. TriggerRegisterVariableEvent should be able to accept a dynamic real in the GUI event spectrum as well.

DestroyEvent (and any other type which currently can't be killed).

Allow custom script within GUI conditions/events.

Last edited:
Level 4
Forgot a lot of suggestions, but one major thing which is very important for me, is the feature to have several layers of movement, instead of current one.
Example:
A simple bridge where land units can walk above and beneath without the need to try for silly workarrounds with triggers to change movement type of units from land to flying to simulate a walk above a bridge. Thought this might be worth mentioning if underlying engine gets updates...

Level 3
First, optimize art related and maximum compatibility with old maps

It's best not to add too much that has not connected to with Reforged

Level 2
What if I just want to atleast see some HD models?
Though I can understand and respect that, on the other hand it's almost like saying "why can't I switch to Northrend tileset in every map, I prefer it over other tilesets". Just one of many things predefined by mapmaker as parts of the final map design.

So, you want feedback. Here's some. DON'T delete the old warcraft 3 from your store.
Because you seem to have done just that, I'm going to remind you what happened to Dark Souls: prepare to die edition: They "remastered" it (read: uncapped the fps from 30 and made the controls pc-friendly, as it should have been from the beginning), then deleted the old version from the store and slapped a full price tag on it. Result? Everyone hated them.

Just as a matter of fact, there is currently absolutely no way for a new player to get warcraft 3 (and play it before the remaster is released, which is in like... 1 year?), unless they buy a physical copy (all of which are sold out by now in almost all retail stores around the globe) or buy a key from suspicious individuals that hoard them since before its removal from the store. Neither method is reliable and you're not getting any cash from it are you?
I know that remasters are your hot shit right now, but not everyone is buying it. And certainly not for full price, a game that's, what, more than 15 years old now?

So here's my feedback: Either do the same as with starcraft 1 and release the old version for free, or put it back in the store, dammit.

Level 3
time to drop the big mic

heavy breathing....

add naitive map protection tool, not fun to see people steal our maps.

EDIT : i agree with LaxusElite for adding a password system or a PIN as he said.
I hope more that the opposite happen. Maps shouldn't be protected because no one can learn from them or enhance them if the original developer stops developing it.
As example Wintermaul One have the problem that most of the time the red player doesn't know that he can change the settings. If the map wouldn't be protected someone could edit the map and let the difficulty decide by vote.
There are many other maps with flaws that would be easy to fix. Blizzard should modify the client in a way that it's impossible to load protected maps so this bullshit would die out.

The Panda

Icon Reviewer
Level 57
I'd love to see the following for Wc3 Reforged:

-World Editor should provide a map protection tool like a PIN password to open the map or anything at all to restrain other players from making cheated copies of our maps

I agree with this but once you start a new map it should give you an option or button to click if you want ur map protected or not .. it is nice to have some maps that arnt protected for people who have no idea how to do triggers so they can look at them and learn how they are made. But, it should be an easier route to protect something instead of corrupting the file..

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 2
I hope more that the opposite happen. Maps shouldn't be protected because no one can learn from them or enhance them if the original developer stops developing it.
As example Wintermaul One have the problem that most of the time the red player doesn't know that he can change the settings. If the map wouldn't be protected someone could edit the map and let the difficulty decide by vote.
There are many other maps with flaws that would be easy to fix. Blizzard should modify the client in a way that it's impossible to load protected maps so this bullshit would die out.

I can pretty much do anything right now in the world editor and I never once looked into another map, I took my time checked the triggers one by one to see how they worked with some tutorials from the community here and there. It's called how bad you want to learn, if you want to open a complex MUI/Jass/vJass trigger with 0 knowledge on world editor, sorry but you won't learn anything.

EDIT: If the developer wants his map continued by another person he can simply hand it to them.

Last edited:
Level 2
so we have to re buy warcraft 3 all over again just for a pointless visual "upgrade" that countless mods have already accomplished for free?
If you took this 1 minute to write this non-sense and instead read the wc3 reforged confirmed changes and rumours you'd be 1 IQ smarter :).

Level 22
I find the new graphics really bad, it's obvious they just replaced models and textures and kept the exact same maps, and the result is not consistent at all !
The new models are too detailed compared to everything else, they look out of place.

I would have preferred a free patch that upgrades only the engine : performance, shaders, dynamic lights, water...

• Give us the ability
    to rotate the minimap in 90 180 360 0 degrees
  • Give us triggers for local objects and fix desync with it. Te goal is to be able to make objects visible only for chosen players like "phasing" in worl of warcraft
  • some players also said: protection of map with PASSWORD. Let this work also for MPQ/archives
  • THE EDITOR: solve the problem with nested windows in triggers module.
  • JASS EDITOR: Brace matching, autocomplete, word prediction, highlighting, line numbering.
  • Support for multiple world editor instances
  • Maybe add paths which allow us to send a unit (or camera)to follow a sequence of goto commands. Similar to patrol but mroe then two points.
  • trigger to disable any button and more specifically scroll if we dont want teh camera to close up
  • ability to change a unit's classification, attacks -enable/disable first/second/both, change targeting type, change movement type DURING GAMPLAY, WITH TRIGGERS. trigger to remove attack, movement.
  • Create custom UI with triggers, images too why not. Hide/Unhide whole UI or parts of it. Move UI elements on the screen, change size/shrink/Expand. etc
  • Able to create new SKY easily? Custom lightning effects easily?
  • ability - drag/push - without the need to move a unit every 0.01s to a different position with triggers.
  • edit or reset the cooldown of aparticular ability on a unit
  • support for cyrilic and othe unicode alphabets
I think extending movement speed over 522 would be nice.

Last edited:
Level 6
so we have to re buy warcraft 3 all over again just for a pointless visual "upgrade" that countless mods have already accomplished for free?

You don't have to buy it, that's the great thing. You can keep playing the classic version and still play with people that have reforged. So no problems there.

And 're-buy'.. man we've been playing a great game for 16 years. For like what, a maximum of 80 dollars? Lol. Compare that to current-gen games.

Reactions: pyf
Status
Not open for further replies.