• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Where to start?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 1
I'm brand new to the map making program, and don't know where exactly to start. I messed around with the terrain and got fairly use to it. What now, what very simple things should i try to get the hang of. Please help me :infl_thumbs_up:
Thanx :thumbs_up:

Level 2
Hi chaosangel. Welcome to the world editor. Yes, as you mentioned, the terrain editor is very easy to use. I suggest that the next thing you should do is mess around with the object editor a little. Just find the object editor, go to the units tab, and select a unit. Then you can just muck around with changing the damage of the unit, the health, the name, maybe the model, which abilities it has etc. Using the object editor is very simple because everything is self explanatory pretty much. Like it says Unit - Model (or something like that), so you know that the thing that you choose it to be will change the model of the unit (the model is just what it looks like). Then you can start fiddling with spells and stuff, and start changing some basic things about spells like the damage they do, and the projectile speed. Good luck!

Level 12
Try a melee map! Everything is premade for you except the actual map, so all you need to do is make the terrain. Or, you could do what I did and start at custom maps right away. Sure they will be unbalanced, messed up, and bad at the beggining, but you will get the hang of everything soon enough, and then you can make things you are proud of.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
Welcome to the Hive Workshop. If you want to introduce yourself to the Community, you can do so here.

If you are new to map making, I suggest you press "Help" in the upper tab of the World Editor and take a look at Blizzard Entertainment's help section. Like the editor says, Blizzard recommends you open up an existing map so you may learn about the editor faster.

If you are unsure how to do make a system, trigger, or even afraid you can't find how to use a certain technique, we recommend you visit our Tutorial Section which was written by our skilled users and are sure to help you.

The World Editor Help Zone also provides a place for you to report your problems and questions, should you be unable to find what you're looking for.

Happy mapping! :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.