• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What should I erase to lower poly count

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Just as I've written in the topic I would like to know what parts of human body can be lowered in scratch modeling. My model has 1500 polys and I would like to know what parts can be set with less detail. I hope the count will go around 200-300 polys.

I want to count it to a high detailed hero which I will upload in a week or two.

I'm thinking in changing:
-hands(no fingers)
-face(less detail)
-torso or legs

Give me some advice which parts aren't worth looking on. Exclude useless polys hidden behind other ones.

Hope this helps others in finding good points in high detail model making for Warcraft.

Level 11
a few tips are make anything less ctlindrical, since that usually takes up unnessecary vertices, and you don't see it in game. make flat shoulders, and limbs, look at blizzard's model in a program like milkshape or gmax, it really shows, how low the count is everywhere, but the head... If possible use plugins like modelcleaners, it can really lower the vertex count if it is a bit messy, i am thinking this uses parts from things like WoW? well if so it can drastically reduce it... fingers are a big no no (fingers pretty much confirm that it's from WoW) in wc3, it is absoletly unable to be seen, and even if you can ppl don't care, but they do care about lag. the face is not sumthin that should be messed too mcuh since WoW heads look crappy when changed. If it is from WoW, please PM i'm pretty interested. It is either that or from a cinematic thing as far as i know.

Level 5
Ok then fingers and hands will be smaller, use less cylinders and I'll try to lower it by 500-600 then in all body parts.

It is a male warrior, which is a scratch model made from a game(non-Blizzard type). I wanted to make it high detailed, but I need then more practice in human modeling.

Thanks all for the advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.