• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What makes the Ethereal Spirit Walker unhitable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
I am trying to create an ethereal unit (immune to physical damage but susceptible to spells) and tried to copy the ability of the spirit walker to give it to my unit. But then I noticed that there is no ability that makes the spirit walker ethereal, neither is there something at the targeted as, armor type or defense type. So my question to the community is: How can I make my unit hittable only by spells?

Level 28
Wouldn't basing a spell off "Ethereal Form" and "Corporeal Form" work (those are the abilities the spirit walker uses)?
Otherwise, you can create a dummy unit which casts banish (eternally) and remove the buff when needed, this has to be triggered of course (basic triggering).

I just succesfully made a grunt ethereal by basing a spell of the previously mentioned spells (Ethereal/Corporeal Form).

Level 4
So, I looked around a little. If you want to make a spell then i think you would have to change the alternate and normal form on you units ( you will need 2).

There is also another way, to add it with triggers. Use a variation of this action. You would have to change the color and stuff in some way too.
  • Untitled Trigger 001
    • Events
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Unit - Add classification of Ethereal to (some unit)

Level 5
What do you mean? He has two forms ("Spirit Walker" and "Spirit Walker - Ethereal" under special). And they have the ability Corporeal form, which is similar to bear form, in that it allows him to swap from one form to the other.

Base your unit off of "Spirit Walker- Ethereal" (its under "Orc, special"), and under "Combat - Attacks Enabled", allow whichever attack you want. Then just normally modify his stats

Yan

Yan

Level 6
You can give "Ethereal creature" (or something like that) ability to your unit but magic attack can touch him. After you can make all enemies units haven't a magic attack.

Level 4
I think I will use ED Reborn's suggestion because I don't want to make the unit have 2 forms (its a summoned ward that should be Ethereal by default)

Edit: What Event should I use to start the trigger (the ward is summoned by a buildable caster unit and should be Ethereal from the beginning)

Level 4
Well trigger seems to work fine, except for the small part that a unit classified as "ethereal" is not behaving like one (i.e. is hittable like before).

Level 8
you can create a dummy unit to cast Banish on the summoned unit if it doesn't act "etherealish". add it to the trigger that uses the Spawns a Summoned Unit. just make sure to add Ward to the targets allowed for the Banish spell. it's a ward, right? *rechecking :D*

Level 5
There is no need to make a corporeal form if you only want 1 form. Just make 1 unit based off of the ethereal spirit walker and problem solved. :)

Level 4
I think I will rephrase my question.
I want to make an ethereal ward. Classification Ethereal doesn't work. neither does setting the armor to ethereal or basing it off the ethereal mode spirit walker.

Level 5
Does it have to be a ward? Can't you use a dummy unit based off of ethereal form spirit walker (set movement speed to 0), and use a spell based off inferno to summon it?

cause i dont think you can really make an ethereal ward, per se.

What is the ward supposed to do?

Level 4
Oh, I didn't know that there is an ability called Ethereal. Couldn't decipher what Yan was trying to say. Will look at it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.