• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

What do you like in a video game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I need money pretty bad now so I've been working on a quick game based in the downtown part of Portland to sell for ten or fifteen dollars and see if I can make a bit of money. It's a kind of apocalyptic style FPS, still working on the storyline and gameplay concepts, but I was wondering what y'all like in a game? I mean, to an extent because I'm not spending more than a few months on it probably because I'm not intending for it to be anything remotely AAA like the other things I have going, but I do want to make it fun and worth the money, so anyone got some input?

Level 34
- Graphics.
- Storyline.
- Optimized game (high-end games which can run on high on moderate PC's, like FEAR Origins).
- Good sounds.
- Animations need to be correct.
- Lighting.
- Colour.
- Variety.
- Rarely backtracking, no linear levels.

Level 6
- Graphics.
- Storyline.
- Optimized game (high-end games which can run on high on moderate PC's, like FEAR Origins).
- Good sounds.
- Lighting.
- Colour.
- Variety.

It takes place in downtown Portland, so I have plans for it to be for the most part pretty open, although I won't be adding interiors in this one because it's just for a quick project so I can try and get a few hundred dollars for a few things I need. Right now the plan is more about retaking the city, not really a storyline, and you'll basically be pushing for control as opposed to having defined levels or missions. If I can I'll just make a priority system, haven't really decided how I want to do everything just yet. I have the models about halfway done, textures will probably be different than they are in reality because I'm not doing it like I am for the NYC model and trying to make it a photographic example. Although I probably will use Fractures and things so that buildings can be destructible and you'll be able to get on top of them and things.

It should be pretty optimized, I'm making a guess that it would run on a 2.0 GHz processor, with a gig of RAM although the video card might need to be somewhat decent. I haven't tested it yet because the textures will take a bit of a toll, but I don't believe it will be terrible.

I have a pretty extensive library of sounds to use so the sounds won't be too bad, and I'll be using motion capture data that I made when I had a system.

Keep in mind that at most it will be $20, I'm probably going to have it more like 10 or 15, so it won't be a AAA game or anything. I might spend a bit of time working on networking to set it up so that you can play online with someone or via LAN but obviously won't have dedicated servers, depends on what I can do.

Level 4
- Graphics.
- Storyline.
- Good sounds.
- Lighting.
- Colour.
- Variety.

Level 13
Most important is the story.
that's why i don't like most new game... just egoshooter without a nice story behind the game

Second is gameplay. I really like the gameplay of the old zelda games on N64

And sounds play an important role too.

Grafics is not that important. There are so many awesome old games which are epic although their grafic is not that good

Level 4
Most important is the story.
that's why i don't like most new game... just egoshooter without a nice story behind the game

Second is gameplay. I really like the gameplay of the old zelda games on N64

And sounds play an important role too.

Grafics is not that important. There are so many awesome old games which are epic although their grafic is not that good

i totally agree man. Try Gothic II. Awesome story. Try Prototype. No story

Level 6
Here's... something of an update, model of a soldier.

Attachments

• Soldier.jpg
    Soldier.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 112
Keep in mind that at most it will be $20, I'm probably going to have it more like 10 or 15, so it won't be a AAA game or anything. I might spend a bit of time working on networking to set it up so that you can play online with someone or via LAN but obviously won't have dedicated servers, depends on what I can do.

Why would I waste $20 for some half-assed game, while for $20 can I get something like .... Warcraft III (or some newer game)?

Level 13
- Graphics.
- Storyline.
- Good sounds.
- Lighting.
- Colour.
- Variety.

Can't say it better.

Ultimate combo of good graphics and cool graphic style+Good story line+Good gameplay+good soundtrack

Level 17
Amazing gameplay and an airtight story along with a perfectly synchronized soundtrack. And excellent dialogue with accompanying voice actors that don't suck. Having the game be nice to look at is a plus as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.