• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

What do you guys think about Inkscape and GIMP?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
I started learning some graphics design. I mainly just fool around for now, getting the hang of it, having some fun but I also want to invest long term.

I was also considering moving away from Windows towards Ubuntu (again, to see what's new there) and was thinking to use Inkscape or GIMP since they work on Ubuntu. But is it long term? Are they just as good as Adobe Illustrator? What do you guys know or have experienced?

Let me know :)

Gimp is a great first program to learn digital art from. It gives you all the basic you need. it's also similar to Photoshop in terms of structure and User interface, so if you learn Gimp you'll get a hang of the more professionnal program that is Photoshop much faster.

Inkscape, never tried it, but if it works kudos to you!

I'd say, as long as a program offers you these control, it's good! The difference will comes to the extra filters, and brush types or versatility of the program. But for drawing sake, all you need is brush and a template.
-Save and load image
-Customize template size.
-Can open different documents type (mainly, png, tga, jpg, pdf)
-Can change the brush size and type
-Can change the color of the brush
-Allows layers.
-Allows to save your work with a fonctionnal document you can reopen your work in that maintain the layers. (aka psd for exemple)
-Saved files can be easily open and read by other programs. (aka you don't create corrupted version of png or jpg or tga)

^ that's basically the only thing you need you want to produce a drawing. The best artist only need those to create what they have in mind, the rest is fluff and tools/programs that allows you to create things
quicker and faster.

Good luck!

as from the industry = Photoshop, illustrator, Pro sai, are the main players when it comes to digital drawings.

Level 10
GIMP is a great software, small size and free! Its great to start drawing. Although, I would recommend photoshop for long term use. Even if you dont need it for photo editing, it offers alot.
For example endless number of custom brushes are available which is great for a 2D artist. (google up photoshop custom bruhes) It can speed up the drawing process and produce some great textures.
I havent check the recent version of gimp but I doubt it has as many layer modes and features as PS.

Well, Illustrator is vector based. Its kind of complicated to draw even the simplest shapes so I would pivot away from using it if you want to draw concept art kind of stuff!

Status
Not open for further replies.